Counting Crowes, Live, Collective Soul

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited May 2007 in Other Music
They're touring small towns this summer...and they happen to be coming to my hometown. A couple of friends and I are thinking of going....are they all good enough live to pay the bucks to go see 'em?

I'm not a huge fan of any of them, I know a total of five Collective Soul songs (but December might be one of my favorite songs ever), and I know a good amount by the Crows and Live, but I'm less than a casual fan....

So, anyway, is it worth it?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    drew0 wrote:
    They're touring small towns this summer...and they happen to be coming to my hometown. A couple of friends and I are thinking of going....are they all good enough live to pay the bucks to go see 'em?

I'm not a huge fan of any of them, I know a total of five Collective Soul songs (but December might be one of my favorite songs ever), and I know a good amount by the Crows and Live, but I'm less than a casual fan....

between them they all have some great songs, while I would say all have gone down hill recently, having seen Live and Counting Crows I would definitely catch that show.
  • all decent live bands, but tickets are like $50, so no.

i'd go if it was in the $20 range.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Only band out of those I would pay anything to see is Counting Crows. But they better release a new bloody album soon or I'll lose interest.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I love the Counting Crows, definitely my second favorite live band behind PJ.

They usually have a fairly modest set, just some lights and occasionally a video screen.

Adam is similar to Ed in some ways. He will change lines in songs, support good causes, he is very emotional.

I'd recommend going.

And they are working on a cd right now, i believe it is due in the fall.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • They're all touring together? That would be cool.
  • suntzu98suntzu98 Posts: 100
    Having been a fan of LIVE for over 15 years now and seeing them countless times in concert; and Collective Soul being my next fav band next to PJ this is a show absolutly worth checking out, they all have great set lists and they will entertain you esp if they play for over an hour for each band.
    Philly '98 '00 (1 & 2) '03 '06 (1 & 2) '08 (1 & 2)
    East Rutherford '98
    Merriweather '98
    Gorge '05
    Vancouver '05
    Los Angeles I,II '06
    Santa Barbara '06
    Fonda Theater '06
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Ouch - that is a REALLY painful sounding line-up. If it was me i'd save my money for the Matchbox 20/Candlebox/3 Doors Down tour

(or maybe the Goo Goo Dolls/Days Of the New/Better Than Ezra/Third Eye Blind tour)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    drew0 wrote:

I saw Collective Soul about 10 years ago (when they were still fairly popular) at a small venue and it's still one of my favorite concerts. They were just so into playing and having so much fun that it was great.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Todd76 wrote:
    Ouch - that is a REALLY painful sounding line-up. If it was me i'd save my money for the Matchbox 20/Candlebox/3 Doors Down tour

(or maybe the Goo Goo Dolls/Days Of the New/Better Than Ezra/Third Eye Blind tour)

Ha Ha, that made my day.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    i've seen all three in concert and they are all very good live acts. Granted Collective Soul was in a venue of about 800 or so, and that always makes for better shows...but if you have the chance and the money, it's definitely worth it.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    I have seen them all. Good shows.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• rmnsf936rmnsf936 Posts: 58
    I saw Collective Soul last year at the melody tent. i was 2nd row and they put on a really kick ass show. There my 3rd favorite live act so far (PJ being 1, and John Butler Trio being 2). You won't be disappointing. I saw them right after Boston 2 06 too.
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    Todd76 wrote:
    If it was me i'd save my money for the Matchbox 20/Candlebox/3 Doors Down tour

Oh lordy that made me laugh out loud.

I would see Counting Crows (new album out this fall, produced by Brian Deck, who also did "The Moon and Antarctica" for Modest Mouse, "Our Endless Numbered Days" for Iron and Wine, "The Animal Years" for Josh Ritter - and Ryan Adams helped out some on the album as well - sounds good).

Live I caught recently and I thought they were still tight and melodic and really, really good. I had forgotten how much I liked them. Lead singer Ed is far more...shall we say swaggeringly confident in his abs than our beloved Ed, and the grinding got a little old, but overall a SOLID show. I'd recommend it. Collective Soul and 3EB I could pass on, but I'd be interested to see if they were any good.

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    third eye blind is also joining the bill for a few dates of this tour. i'm holding out on buying tickets until i find out the dates they're on as well, cos i would love to see them again.
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    third eye blind is also joining the bill for a few dates of this tour. i'm holding out on buying tickets until i find out the dates they're on as well, cos i would love to see them again.

Third Eye Blind is playing on August 7th, 8th and 11th INSTEAD of Live...

Counting Crows are my second favorite band and my girlfriend loves Live - the last time they toured together was a great show.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Live-Ed is has a beautiful voice, one of the better singers of the 90s. Great live band.

Collective Soul-Some really great songs, all n all a solid rock show

Counting Crows-There 1st album by far there best, after that I feel they lost some of there magic. Is it me or does Adam sound pretty shitty in concert now.

By far Live is miles ahead of CC and Collective Soul.
  • counting crows live at heineken music hall was one of the better releases of '06, in my opinion. if their current performance is even close to that level, it will be worth the price of admission and then some.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I'm there...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    Third Eye Blind is playing on August 7th, 8th and 11th INSTEAD of Live...

Third Eye Blind is ACTUALLY on this tour - that kills me.....I was just trying to come up with line-ups (post #8 in this thread) that could possibly be worse than the Live/Crows/C.Soul triple bill from hell and they actually did find a way to make it even more unbearable.....OUCH
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i'll probably be going to one of these shows. it sucks that the 3eb dates are so far away, but oh well. i'm also seeing live at PNC park on july 3, so i'm excited.