Bonnaroo Headliners

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Someone did this for Lolla, and I always thought the headliners for Bonnaroo were more intersting. So, who does everyone think will be headlining the big hippie festival next year? They typically get an older artist and a modern one, and then usually a bigger jam band to close out the first night. Here are the lists for the last couple years, to give you a feel for the headliners they choose.

2007: The Police, Tool, Widespread Panic
(Other major acts: The White Stripes, Ben Harper)

2006: Tom Petty, Radiohead, Phil Lesh & Friends
(Other major acts: Beck, Elvis Costello, Oysterhead)

2005: Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews Band, Trey Anastasio
(Other major acts: Jack Johnson, The Black Crowes, Allman Brothers Band)

2004: The Dead, Dave Matthews, Bob Dylan, Trey Anastasio

2003: Widespread Panic, The Dead, Neil Young, James Brown, Allman Brothers

Now, my predictions for next year are the Eagles and Pearl Jam. The Eagles are supposed to be touring into next year, and they seem to go the way of a classic act and a younger classic act (Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Police, and then Dave Matthews, Tool, Radiohead). On top of that, the Eagles are along the same path as a lot of the classic acts in the past. Pearl Jam are rumoured every year, and I think next year is a good possibility. They seem to be getting back into the swing of festivals, and Bonnaroo would be great for them - not to mention if it's not them, Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only other band that comes to mind as a high possibility.

If those two acts aren't there, I'd have to go with Roger Waters and the Chili Peppers. Roger Waters would really appeal to a lot of the fans at Bonnaroo (hippies, druggies). I think a reunited Phish might be a possibility.
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Pearl Jam play Bonnaroo next year. But for the "classic" headliner i would love to see Springsteen with the E-street band (they are supposed to be recording a new album) or have Neil Young play with Pearl Jam as the backing band.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Roger has said he is done touring for long awhile- he's been on the road much of the last 5-6 years. So, as awesome as, say, a Pearl Jam/Roger/Phish lineup would be, it's not gonna happen with Rog.

I'd love for PJ to be there. I hope every year that they do it. You have to wonder how Eddie felt about performing at Lolla this year where everything was a corporate name and purpose. Bonnaroo doesn't have that (at least so blatantly). The Roo crowd would love them- they are often the most appreciative crowds I have ever been a part of.

But, my bold prediction is that next year there isn't a typical jam band as the penultimate headliner. The crowd for Widespread was notably less than that for both the Police and Tool. I am going to go out on a limb and say My Morning Jacket is given the slot. They skipped this years Roo, and barring some sort of band tragedy or something, they WILL be there next year, and I suspect that they will be rewarded with the lead slot. Imagine what they could do there... it would be amazing.

Springsteen is an interesting possibility. How cool would that be?

Dave has been out of Roo two years now, so I bet he's back in some capacity next year.

Bob Dylan should do another Roo gig, too.

Ween needs another late night slot. So does Particle.

After seeing Daft Punk at Lolla, Roo should try and get them for a late show. People would be out of their minds.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Seriously, this thread gets started every year and Pearl Jam turns it down every year. It is still viewed as a hippie/jam band music festival, hence Pearl Jam will always turn it down.

Lollapalooza had a huge punk element Iggy and the Stooges, Juliette and the Licks, to the rest of the nation outside of fans of the festival it is still a Hippie Music Festival. You can throw out exceptions to the rule but they are still the lesser of the artists.

Now I'm gonna get flamed by people claiming "it's not a hippie music festival", but to those of us who hate jam bands and hippie bands, it still is. Sorry.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Seriously, this thread gets started every year and Pearl Jam turns it down every year. It is still viewed as a hippie/jam band music festival, hence Pearl Jam will always turn it down.

Lollapalooza had a huge punk element Iggy and the Stooges, Juliette and the Licks, to the rest of the nation outside of fans of the festival it is still a Hippie Music Festival. You can throw out exceptions to the rule but they are still the lesser of the artists.

Now I'm gonna get flamed by people claiming "it's not a hippie music festival", but to those of us who hate jam bands and hippie bands, it still is. Sorry.

I kind of agree with this ... Lolla was more in their wheel house ... and it was in Chicago ... not Manchester, Tennessee.

I always hold out hope they'll do Coachella, as I *LOVE* that festival, been going for the past 5 years (even when I was living in Boston) ... but, I don't think they ever will as it's a little too "indie" and not sure they ever want to play the polo grounds in indo again ... think that was the shoe incident show.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    You could say that Bonnaroo is a "hippie" festival but 4 of the 6 headliners from the last 2 years have been far from hippie jam bands. Radiohead, Tool, The Police, and Tom Petty. And considering the length of most pearl jam shows they would fit with the jam bands as much or more than any of the bands i listed.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • There is no way PJ would not play this festival because of the Jam Band thing. Radiohead, Tool and Dave Mathhews have headlined and those are Pearl Jam's peers. (Early 90's Alt Rock.)

Plus they toured with Tom Petty who also headlined, and Eddie is a fan of the Police who also headlined.

All signs point to this being a possibility.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    NickyNooch wrote:

Ignorance sure is bliss, ain't it.

Damn that DJ Shadow and his hippie music. Damn that Wolfmother and their incessant jamming. Damn those White Stripes for their epic 30 minute tunes.