Holy Shit! John Butler Trio Is Amazing!

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I hadn't given this band much time, so I just downloaded a bunch of their stuff. 'What You Want' is one of the most haunting, beautiful, and amazing songs I've ever heard. I can't stop listening to it, and it gets better every time I hear it. I'm going to pick up one of their albums sometime this week...any suggestions?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They are fantastic. Aren't they the band that pop's up during Something About Marry too?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I have always really loved them. Some of their music was in The Good Girl with Jennifer Aniston. I have never seen them live but am looking forward to sometime.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    They are fantastic. Aren't they the band that pop's up during Something About Marry too?
    No, but they are awesome. Hopefully I'll be going to see them next month :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    drew0 wrote:
    I hadn't given this band much time, so I just downloaded a bunch of their stuff. 'What You Want' is one of the most haunting, beautiful, and amazing songs I've ever heard. I can't stop listening to it, and it gets better every time I hear it. I'm going to pick up one of their albums sometime this week...any suggestions?

:) You should see them live drew! It's as good a buzz as PJ. :) The atmosphere is so full of love and positive vibes. And the music is amazing. I've got all their albums The most recent one Grand National is excellent, but then all their albums are. My favorite is still Three. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Buy Live at St. Gallen. Definitely, very cool double cd with lots of great songs.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I couldn't agree more here. I love these guys!! I've seen them 6 times.

And I've met them a few times too. They are extremely nice guys too. My Aunt from Australia was with us when we went to an in store in Denver a few years back ( they were playing Red Rocks with DMB that night). Well, her husband had recently passed suddenly & JBT was his absolute favorite band. She told John about everything & he was holding back tears. He just kept hugging her. A class act.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    macci wrote:
    I couldn't agree more here. I love these guys!! I've seen them 6 times.

And I've met them a few times too. They are extremely nice guys too. My Aunt from Australia was with us when we went to an in store in Denver a few years back ( they were playing Red Rocks with DMB that night). Well, her husband had recently passed suddenly & JBT was his absolute favorite band. She told John about everything & he was holding back tears. He just kept hugging her. A class act.
    That's a lovely little story. I'm off to buy tickets to them after work :)
  • Just got back from aforementioned concert.

Oh.My. God. :eek: That was amazing.
    Just got back from aforementioned concert.

Awesome Hitch! :) I'm glad you were blown away! Tis really something to see isn't it? And not just to see but to experience. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Just got back from aforementioned concert.

Sweet! Glad you ejnoyed......JBT rocks!!!
  • They are a really good band.

Also, Ian Ball from Gomez is going to be opening a handful of their upcoming tour dates. Pretty cool news for sure!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    MY girlfriend hates when I listen to their song "Zebra"....because it gets stuck in my head for days.

I walk around singing "Bat bah bada bah, badda dah dah".......lol.
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    ooOOOoooo I know I love them :D

seen them live twice very cool and yeah what you want brings me to tears its AMazing! I cant make the london gig this week :( , but any one who can should. its just a shame the aussies living thee see it as an "aussie" night out and talk so fucking much through the whole show even when John himself asks them to be quiet !!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
    macci wrote:
    MY girlfriend hates when I listen to their song "Zebra"....because it gets stuck in my head for days.

I walk around singing "Bat bah bada bah, badda dah dah".......lol.

haha! :D Damn catchy, aint it? ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    V V wrote:

seen them live twice very cool and yeah what you want brings me to tears its AMazing! I cant make the london gig this week :( , but any one who can should. its just a shame the aussies living thee see it as an "aussie" night out and talk so fucking much through the whole show even when John himself asks them to be quiet !!!!!

aye, don't bad mouth aussies, after all john butler trio are aussie.

I met this kiwi guy who looked exactly like john butler. Anyway we hit the beers and we were going around telling everyone he was john butler. he got so many chicks giving him hugs and kisses i was envious. I should of pulled off im eddie vedder. Though Something tells me that wouldn't have worked for me.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    V V wrote:

Damn shame about Aussie expats, but we do have to suffer the Barmy Army you know! ;)

That would irritate me too though! Just tell em to pipe down! Bloody ignorant buggers! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    pjfan31 wrote:
    aye, don't bad mouth aussies, after all john butler trio are aussie.

I met this kiwi guy who looked exactly like john butler. Anyway we hit the beers and we were going around telling everyone he was john butler. he got so many chicks giving him hugs and kisses i was envious. I should of pulled off im eddie vedder. Though Something tells me that wouldn't have worked for me.

haha well yes i do realise that why else would I have said it was an Aussie night out! der.

it was pretty shit cos johnB was telling to be quiet so he could sing "spring" which he was dedicating to a couple :(
    but they never did he went ahead and sang it , and STILL they talked and shouted through the song .... very thoughtless !
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i hear they're amazing live, but their album didn't really do it for me.
    i hear they're amazing live, but their album didn't really do it for me.

Which album ss? :) They have several. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    haha! :D Damn catchy, aint it? ;):D

CATCHIEST...SONG....EVVVVER!!! Lol.
    macci wrote:
    CATCHIEST...SONG....EVVVVER!!! Lol.

:D hehe! yeah, it's a toe tapper alright! usually gets me bopping away in the car and humming it endlessly for days after I've heard it! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Which album ss? :) They have several. :)

the one that got 4 stars on allmusic... sunrise over sea i think. it sounded like every ben harper/jack johnson/jason mraz album i ever heard. just a guy jamming on guitar with his laid back white-kid-reggae rhythms. that said, i imagine, like most jam bands, he'd be incredible in concert. but the album just bored me.
    the one that got 4 stars on allmusic... sunrise over sea i think. it sounded like every ben harper/jack johnson/jason mraz album i ever heard. just a guy jamming on guitar with his laid back white-kid-reggae rhythms. that said, i imagine, like most jam bands, he'd be incredible in concert. but the album just bored me.

Get 3. :) That's where I started.
    In concert they're amazing! Just the best vibe, and such a fun show! The crowd get sooo excited, it's almost as good as PJ! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Get 3. :) That's where I started.
    In concert they're amazing! Just the best vibe, and such a fun show! The crowd get sooo excited, it's almost as good as PJ! :D

i love a good jam band show and i'd not hesitate to go see them live. but the style of music just isn't for me.
    i love a good jam band show and i'd not hesitate to go see them live. but the style of music just isn't for me.

Fair enough. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    they actually had a fairly diverse show on monday...even tho i knew some stuff before hand i didnt notice until during the gig how much difference there was..

some jack johnson-esque, some jam band-esque, some killer lap-slide-guitar songs, some ukelele, some long ass motherfucker drum solos, funkyass bass solos...
    ...and the icing on the cake of JB being awesome at everything!
  • Holy shit !!! ... That's the way to describe it
    I just saw John Butler Trio yesterday and they are just fantastic live. Wow ... that gig was awesome.
    So if they come playing near you, it's definitely worth seeing them.

And Kaki King as opening act was also great.