Birth of Grunge

LaunchpadLaunchpad Posts: 57
edited December 2006 in Other Music
IGN Music reports: On February 7, 2006 Livewire Recordings will release "Sleepless In Seattle: The Birth of Grunge", a compilation of 20 rare recordings from some of the band responsible for setting the stage for the eventual emergence of the sub-genre of modern rock critics labeled "grunge."

The set chronicles the beginnings of Seattle's underground rock movement from the mid-'80s to early '90s by featuring seminal recordings from the pioneers of the movement, including GREEN RIVER, THE MELVINS, MALFUNKSHUN, SCREAMING TREES, MUDHONEY, BABES IN TOYLAND, TAD, SKIN YARD, THE GITS, 7 YEAR BITCH and the SUPERSUCKERS, to name a few.

The album was executive produced by Colin Cobb, founder and president of Livewire Recordings and produced by Grammy-nominated producer Ted Myers (NUGGETS, TROUBADOURS OF BRITISH FOLK) as well as Clark Humphrey (author of "The Real Seattle Music Story"). The set will feature extensive liner notes in the form of a 16-page booklet penned by Humphrey, detailing the history of the Seattle music scene from the mid-'80s to early '90s.

"These bands are the unsung heroes," said Cobb. "Although they didn't become multi-platinum megastars, they went on to influence and form some of the biggest, chart topping groups in music history. As we approach the 20th anniversary of the birth of grunge music, we are thrilled to bring this significant historical compilation, which includes many bands whose music has not been made available for years, to fans everywhere. This project was a labor of love."

"Sleepless in Seattle: The Birth of Grunge" track listing

01. THE BLACKOUTS - "Happy Hunting Ground"
02. Mr. EPP & THE CALCULATIONS - "Mohawk Man"
03. U-MEN - "Solin Action"
04. GREEN RIVER - "Come On Down"
05. THE MELVINS - "Grinding Process"
06. MALFUNKSHUN - "With Yo' Heart (Not Yo' Hands)"
07. SCREAMING TREES - "Orange Airplane"
08. MUDHONEY - "In 'N' Out Of Grace"
09. BABES IN TOYLAND - "He's My Thing"
10. TAD - "Giant Killer"
11. COFFIN BREAK - "Crawl"
12. TREEPEOPLE - "Guilt Regret Embarrassment"
13. SKIN YARD - "Hallowed Ground"
14. GRUNTRUCK - "Tribe"
15. THE GITS - "Second Skin"
16. LOVE BATTERY - "Half Past You"
17. HAMMERBOX - "Trip"
18. SEAWEED - "Losing Skin"
19. 7 YEAR BITCH - "The Scratch"
20. SUPERSUCKERS - "Creepy Jackalope Eye"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Tribe by Gruntruck is a kickass song. Loved that album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i have to go to seattle. like la mecca to me
    sometimes you just need someone to say it's ok
  • its funny cause theres no such thing as "grunge"
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • its funny cause theres no such thing as "grunge"

there is also no such thing as "theres".

anyway, there is a recognized category of grunge. just because it was coined to retroactively label something does not make it less credible.

see "a style or fashion derived from a movement in rock music: in fashion characterized by unkempt clothing and in music by aggressive, nihilistic songs"
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • there is also no such thing as "theres".

i bet you get laid a lot
  • i bet you get laid a lot

that's a pretty good one. there is still no such thing as "theres". it's okay to try to be cool by saying, "no, man, there's no such thing as grunge...blah blah blah" because that's what you hear these "musicians" say. try being orginal.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • huahhuah Posts: 18
    This sounds really cool, I'm glad a lot of the songs deviate from the Hype! soundtrack and things of that nature. I've been wanting to look into a lot of those bands, but with only one song to sample, it's been kind of lame. Now I will have two!
    Matt Cameron is awesome.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i have a CD of something similar to that. man i forget what its called... AH HA! Deep Six here is a good description http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/releases/deepsix.shtml

1. Green River - 10,000 Things
    2. Melvins - Scared
    3. Melvins - Blessing the Operation
    4. Malfunkshun - With Yo' Heart (Not Yo' Hands)
    5. Skin Yard - Throb
    6. Soundgarden - Heretic
    7. Soundgarden - Tears to Forget
    8. Malfunkshun - Stars-N-You
    9. Melvins - Grinding Process
    10. Melvins - She Waits
    11. Skin Yard - The Birds
    12. Soundgarden - All Your Lies
    13. Green River - Your Own Best Friend
    14. U-Men - They
  • that's a pretty good one. there is still no such thing as "theres". it's okay to try to be cool by saying, "no, man, there's no such thing as grunge...blah blah blah" because that's what you hear these "musicians" say. try being orginal.

ho-kay.

oh wait, that isnt a word, either.
  • stop being babies goddammitt.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    It's a decent disc. Nothing something I would listen to a lot, but good to have.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Funny how often the word "Skin" appears in this compilation, be it in a band name or the songs. Gotta be 5 times.

Ok, 3 times. Apparently it's a grungy word.

I'll buy it.