Options

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

pazmanpazman Posts: 197
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Does anyone realise how good Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are?
Does anyone here appreciate this fantastic artist and band?

I'm not a long time fan but recently I bought their best of... and it is truly fantastic. Every song is a winner.
The Ship Song is brilliant!!!
Johnny Cash covered 'The Mercy Seat' but is wasn't as good.
Other highlights are...
- Stranger than Kindness
- Red Right Hand
- (are you) the one i've been waiting for
- Into my Arms
I had it all once I gave it back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    pazman wrote:
    yes.
    pazman wrote:
    yes.

you will want to keep an eye out for Clann Zu - Black Coats and Bandages. strong Nick Cave influence and overall a fucking incredible disc. They are from Australia as well. though sadly no longer around.
  • Options
    pazman wrote:
    I'm not a long time fan but recently I bought their best of... and it is truly fantastic.

nick cave and the bad seeds are amazing... i didn't even know they had a recent best of album out...

too bad blixa bargeld quit the band... i always liked what he had to add to the sound... you should also give his other band, einstürzende neubauten, a try...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    yeah he's terrific.

i didn't even know he was popular enough to have a greatest hits.. so that surprised me when i saw it.

i suppose he's more popular in Australia than the US.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    psycosmic wrote:
    ... you should also give his other band, einstürzende neubauten, a try...
    I have Halber Mensch here at my desk. what a lovely but odd piece of work.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    pazman wrote:

Are you kidding, he and them are one my favorites ever!!!!

Few artists do records nowadays with the quality of Mr. Cave... unfortunately I'm still waiting to have my chance and see 'em live (someone tell him to follow PJ steps and come to Mexico)

By the way, PJ did a good work when they played -partially- The Ship Song, they should make it a standard.

If you haven't get his God Is in the House live DVD and also his vid collection... that of course assuming you already got his whole discograpy (if you haven't: obbey, get it NOW!!)
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    nick cave and the bad seeds are amazing... i didn't even know they had a recent best of album out...

too bad blixa bargeld quit the band... i always liked what he had to add to the sound... you should also give his other band, einstürzende neubauten, a try...

Well, that best of ain't so new, it should have been released 3 or 4 years ago at least, if you're lucky get the edition with a 2nd. live cd, that one's worthy...

Yeah, I also thought Blixa leaving the band would mean less guitar on the records, fortunately Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus proved me wrong with some of the most impressive guitar work I heard in a Cave record, so though I miss Blixa and his wicked vocals on songs like The Weeping Song, I think Cave's genius always finds a way to solve anything out.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    I LOVE Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds!I got into them when I was a dj at the college I went to.I got started w/Nocturama (PJ used that cd,or atleast the song, "Bring it On" durring the inbetween sets durring the 03 tour).I bought the "Best of" next.I also have a 03 boot from there Wiltern show.There is just something about there music that is depressing,yet sexy and amazing at the same time...........
    And snowboarders and skiers like 13ft. of Pure White Snow (at least snowboarders in MT. do)
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    nick cave & the bad seeds are bad ass! i was introduced to them with the tune "the ballad of robert moore & betty coltrane" by a friend and i've loved everything i've heard since..."into my arms", "the weeping song", "15 ft. of pure white snow", "where the wild roses grow", etc... much love for nick cave!
  • Options
    ...and "red right hand" too...
  • Options
    the last album was class,the double album-abbotoir blues/the lyre of orpheus.

check out 'oh children'-an absolute epic song!! dark and brooding!!!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    Anyone ever heard a mix of The Ship Song that you could find spreaded around the net done with Cave's, PJ's and Concrete Blonde's version of this song? It sounded crazy but it flows well.
    that's a great song, well, it's a Nick Cave song...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    barcoach wrote:
    Anyone ever heard a mix of The Ship Song that you could find spreaded around the net done with Cave's, PJ's and Concrete Blonde's version of this song? It sounded crazy but it flows well.
    that's a great song, well, it's a Nick Cave song...

any idea where to download this?
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    pazman wrote:
    yes, they are fucking incredible
    pazman wrote:
    yes, almost every day.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    pazman wrote:

I'm not a long time fan but recently I bought their best of... and it is truly fantastic. Every song is a winner.
    The Ship Song is brilliant!!!
    Johnny Cash covered 'The Mercy Seat' but is wasn't as good.
    Other highlights are...
    - Stranger than Kindness
    - Red Right Hand
    - (are you) the one i've been waiting for
    - Into my Arms

The Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds show in 2002 is still the best show I've ever been too...and I've been to some good ones. Fact
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    The Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds show in 2002 is still the best show I've ever been too...and I've been to some good ones. Fact

i believe you. i bought the Abattoir Blues 2004 tour DVD which was released this year. one of the greatest recoreded live performances i've seen thus far.

THERE IS A WAR COMING!!!!!!!!!!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    MathMath Posts: 71
    Try "Grinderman" as well. Tortured, depraved... "No Pussy blues" is a masterpiece.

I've been a fan of Cave's work since I don't know when and I've had the chance to see him in concert (I also saw Bob Dylan, I know it has no link with the subject but I'm kinda proud about it), well it's a must see.
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • Options
    he is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, n doubt about that. Each bad seeds album is different too, which i love, its a journey you go on when you start listening to nick cave. Each time I get an album I think its their best one, that is until i get another one, and it doesnt matter what period its from. Fantastic lyricist. Beautiful music and a killer band behind it all. Greatest song i ever seen live was O malleys bar , what a spectacle! Long live the seeds
  • Options
    Nick Cave and Warren Ellis's soundtrack to "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" comes out November 13! It sounded so good in the film. I liked it more than the Proposition soundtrack.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    one of the best shows i've ever seen was the abattoir blues tour, just a giant wall of sound coming right at you. amazing.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    Every album Nick Cave makes is good.

No more shall we part .....is a great album
    the Minions
  • Options
    i like murder ballads and tender prey

Emek also designed the best poster for them:
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/34232
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • Options
    I need to get a Grinderman album... Nick Cave going rock has to be awesome.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Just recently started listening to Nick Cave's music. This stuff is amazing. I am very excited to get all of the records and dive in. hopefully there are some more shows lined up soon.

His music is just different and interesting. I wish PJ would get interesting.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Best video ever..LOL

https://youtu.be/LsBJ62jSCl0
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    ^^^ Unable to view that one for some reason. :-(

Here's the scene from "Wings of Desire" (great film!) with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPf6SWcENWo
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    brianlux said:

^^^ Unable to view that one for some reason. :-(

Here's the scene from "Wings of Desire" (great film!) with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPf6SWcENWo

Beautiful movie Brian..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 692
    A very intense live band too if you get the chance to see them.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Reviving this old'ish thread to save from starting a whole new one & maybe with a chance of connecting with some of the folk who've posted on here........

Saw Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds here in Auckland, New Zealand last night on their Skeleton Street tour & OMG it was amazing! So much energy! Such fabulous musicians! Such charisma from Nick! Just WOW! :open_mouth::bow: If anyone can go to a show on this tour & highly recommend it!

Our setlist:
    Anthrocene
    Jesus Alone
    Magneto
    Higgs Boson Blues
    From Her To Eternity
    Tupelo
    Jubilee Street
    The Ship Song
    Into My Arms
    Girl In Amber
    I Need You
    Red Right Hand
    The Mercy Seat
    Distant Sky
    Skeleton Tree
    People Ain’t No Good
    Jack The Ripper
    Nobody’s Baby Now
    Stagger Lee
    Push The Sky Away

A review, & photos by a friend of my husband's:
    13thfloor.co.nz/?p=78728
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    Seeing him later this year at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles....got pit tickets....Cat Power is opening!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    edited January 2017
    morello said:

Reviving this old'ish thread to save from starting a whole new one & maybe with a chance of connecting with some of the folk who've posted on here........

Saw Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds here in Auckland, New Zealand last night on their Skeleton Street tour & OMG it was amazing! So much energy! Such fabulous musicians! Such charisma from Nick! Just WOW! :open_mouth::bow: If anyone can go to a show on this tour & highly recommend it!

Our setlist:
    Anthrocene
    Jesus Alone
    Magneto
    Higgs Boson Blues
    From Her To Eternity
    Tupelo
    Jubilee Street
    The Ship Song
    Into My Arms
    Girl In Amber
    I Need You
    Red Right Hand
    The Mercy Seat
    Distant Sky
    Skeleton Tree
    People Ain’t No Good
    Jack The Ripper
    Nobody’s Baby Now
    Stagger Lee
    Push The Sky Away

A review, & photos by a friend of my husband's:
    13thfloor.co.nz/?p=78728

that's a great setist!

really tempted to get tickets for the Portland show, but there's a chance we may be moving. So, I'm holding off.
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com