Introduce me to some bands

Drifting AwayDrifting Away Posts: 270
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Help open my eyes/ears up to some new bands!

Gimme some new music to check out! im looking to expand my horizons so list artists/song(s) to check out.

Im keen for anything.

Help needed!
Run to the hills
run for your life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Shit you said new music. Nevermind...
  • or old music i might not know

any music will do
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Oceansize
    Porcupine Tree
    Cave In
    The Black Keys
    Ian Love / Cardia
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    ~Beth Hart- Immortal; Screamin' For My Supper; Leave The Light On (an icon in the making...the Janis Joplin who lives to sing about it)

~Bloc Party- Silent Alarm (a UK foursome destined for great things. One of the best albums of 2004. Fierce rhythm section)

~Candy Dulfer- For The Love Of You, Sax-A-Go-Go (blond haired, green eyed, funktified Netherland saxaphone playing chick. Toured with Prince...any questions?)

~Jonny Lang- Lie To Me; Wander This World; Long Time Coming (skinny white kid from North Dakota who somehow managed to get infected with some ass kicking blues. Guitar skills aplenty. BB King loves him)

~Kraftwerk- The Mix (Start with The Mix and work from there. German gents who truly are the Godfathers of electronica)

~The Like- Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? (3 California girls do rock! Born of musical families...guitar/vocals (Z), bass (Charlotte), drums (Tennessee); thoughtful, clever, melodic, good)

~Muse- Absolution (start there....slam dunk album all the way)

~Nikka Costa- Everybody Got Their Something (wanna see/taste/hear/feel/ funk/soul? She. Is. It. With a hellacious banshee voice. Just thinking of her makes me sweat. That's how hot she is!)

~Pearl Jam- sorry.....moving on....

~The Gossip- Standing In The Way Of Control (some wayward combo of funk/punk/rock and something else....I'm not quite sure)

~The Sounds- Dying To Say This To You (rock Swedish style! I hear shreds of Joan Jett and good old 80's music in them)

~stellastarr*- Harmonies For The Haunted (just go there....now!)

~Xavier Rudd- To Let; Solace (Aussie blues/roots/folk gent who's last show in NYC was described to me as "orgasmic". Her exact words. I'll be seeking those results in August, myself)

~Arcade Fire- Funeral (the band that sparked the neverending question, "what's that song that's played before U2 comes on stage?". It was "Wake Up")

That should keep you busy for a few.....;)....
    `
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • The Human Condition
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    The Mamas and the Papas,

or

The Verve

Depends on your mood and your age, I guess.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    man Bu2 those are some straight up good new bands!
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • sweet will take a look into these :)
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Dredg...thug.
    PearlJam134.gif
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Bu2 wrote:
    The Mamas and the Papas,

or

The Verve

Depends on your mood and your age, I guess.

The Verve (*swoon*) good band!

Also, check out http://www.tomrhodesmusic.com
    danny72688 wrote:
    Black people love Ten.

- A thugged out black man stood in awe as I layed down Porch. Also, earlier that week, I was complimented by a thugged out black chick on how good "my bassline", Why Go, was.

They love Pearl Jam and don't even know it.
    Wow.

FaceSpace
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    New bands that rock:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-probably my favorite newer band second only to The Strokes....their first two albums are really good but their best, imo, is Howl, their third, and most different outing. Its quite good and has this americana feel to it.

The Strokes-ohhh awesome band. Room On Fire and First Impressions of Earth are my favorites.

Kings of Leon-Check out Aha Shake Heartbreak...really fun, entertaining rock album...Looking forward to their new album next year

Stereophonics-These guys have been around for awhile but their newest album, Language Violence Sex Other?, is really good and has a lot of new elements added to their music.

The Black Keys-Wow...this like freakin white acid blues rock unclassifiable sound. Great new band. Their new album, Magic Potion, comes out later this year and sounds like its gonna be their best.

John Mayer Trio-Say what you may about John Mayers old stuff, but the trio's live album, Try!, is a fantastic Hendrix/Vaughn inspired classic rock outing. I really hope he continues on this path
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Interpol-Turn On The Bright Lights
    Wolf Parade- Apologies To The Queen Mary
    Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick, and it lived happily ever after. The End.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I forgot this one in my list....

Wolfmother-chances are youve heard of em by now, but if you like Sabbath and Zeppelin youll like these guys. Great old school rock album
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    one word-
    BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bruce springsteen
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    dharma69 wrote:
    Wow.

Was that a little racist of me? I guess I could be more politically correct. Only spreading love here :) And that even people who like rap understand how kick ass PJ is even though they don't know it's PJ ;)
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    one word-
    BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bruce springsteen

Hooray!
    Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick, and it lived happily ever after. The End.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Was that a little racist of me? I guess I could be more politically correct. Only spreading love here :) And that even people who like rap understand how kick ass PJ is even though they don't know it's PJ ;)
    See profile for further info....;)

FaceSpace
  • sweet looking into them now
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
    dharma69 wrote:
    See profile for further info....;)

LMAO! Well I didn't mean to offend you. I'll change it if you want. I just thought it was rather coincidental that two black people obviously into rap were totally digging the Ten songs I busted out within the same week too. That makes 3 now ;)
    danny72688 wrote:
    LMAO! Well I didn't mean to offend you. I'll change it if you want. I just thought it was rather coincidental that two black people obviously into rap were totally digging the Ten songs I busted out within the same week too. That makes 3 now ;)
    Not an ounce of offense, hon....it tickled me to no end!

Carry on with your bad ass bass playing!

FaceSpace
    dharma69 wrote:
    Not an ounce of offense, hon....it tickled me to no end!

Carry on with your bad ass bass playing!

I'll continue to spread the Jam :D Who knows, we could end up with another "The Real Thing" ;)

:):cool::p:eek::D
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    ASG

http://www.asgnation.com

this is one everyone should check out. i been ranting about them for months. heavy riff driven rock. no punk pop bs. check 'em out 4 sure. they are also on myspace and purevolume. cool.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• what does ASG stand for?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • yeah saw that, couldnt find it when i posted
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    peeping tom
    mars volta
    flyleaf
  • danielsondanielson Posts: 25
    ASG

http://www.asgnation.com

this is one everyone should check out. i been ranting about them for months. heavy riff driven rock. no punk pop bs. check 'em out 4 sure. they are also on myspace and purevolume. cool.

I'll second that, they kick ass. Listen to "The Saga", sick as hell. Its almost a instrumental, which is good, because the singer is the weakest part of this band, but you can tell he's really singing his heart out, and the band absolutly kicks ass. Can't wait to see them live, just moved down to Wilmington, and I think they play here a lot.

Another band - Grey Haven - from Austin, TX, they sound amazingly like Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff, and not just the guitars, but the vocals too a little bit. I don't know if thats good or not, but I'm a huge Cantrell fan and I like their stuff.

http://www.greyhavenband.com/

I'll throw in Faith no More, most music fans know about them, but a lot don't. I'd call it alternative metal, with a singer who can do just about anything he wants. They really hit a two album grove with "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust" and that's what I stick too. Angel Dust isn't quite as immediate and accessible as The Real Thing, but once it sinks in, its just as good, if not better.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    ASG sounds like ten different bands that were happening in Baltimore 5 years ago. Crazy...but telling of just how little love our scene gets here in the good old Mid-Atlantic. :)