Options

saw flaming lips at webster hall tonight!!!

robbyblaylockrobbyblaylock Posts: 428
edited May 2006 in Other Music
incredible show with an amazing set. dont have the whole set down but we got alot of hits from the last 4 albums and some new tracks as well. huge party for serious. im a bit wasted but in all honesty, this was one of the best non pj shows ive ever seen. i cant wait for tommorow show. wayne coyne and the band are just pure entertainers. if anyone was there or even can find a copy of the show please pm me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Flaming Lips. Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Just can't get into them. They were on Letterman last night and I just don't "get" them.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Very cool. Their live shows are amazing, Wayne really knows how to connect with the audience, and thier visuals are always cool.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I saw them a few weeks ago @ Langerado Festival and I was thoroughly impressed. Great show and I really enjoyed having them play Bohemian Rhapsody as the second song out of the gate.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    usernameusername Posts: 48
    You can listen to their new album in its entirety now at their site. http://www.flaminglips.com. I'm sure it's known by now, but I just noticed it.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I saw them a few weeks ago @ Langerado Festival and I was thoroughly impressed. Great show and I really enjoyed having them play Bohemian Rhapsody as the second song out of the gate.

I think that set might have been the highlight of Langerado for me, the whole weekend was pretty kick ass, but that was just spectacular.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I've heard stories of how great of a live show they put on. They are a terrific band, one that I just couldn't get into for YEARS(although I tried multiple times), until I went out and bought The Soft Bulletin, I've loved them ever since. Can't wait for the new album Tuesday.
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I saw them twice during the "Yoshimi" shows. Once opening for Beck, another as a headliner.

They put on on hell of an entertaining show! Their performances are fantastic, and the visuals are great as well.

Looking forward to the new album...
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Anybody seen the Cochella clips from a year or two back where Wayne gets in a giant rubber ball and rolls around on top of the crowd for a song? I think it was Cochella, crazy stuff though.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    CM1847 wrote:
    Anybody seen the Cochella clips from a year or two back where Wayne gets in a giant rubber ball and rolls around on top of the crowd
    for a song? I think it was Cochella, crazy stuff though.

You mean like this?

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/3/9/3/5/9475393-9475396-slarge.jpg

(pic from Langerado festival)
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    You mean like this?

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/3/9/3/5/9475393-9475396-slarge.jpg

(pic from Langerado festival)
    I guess they used that thing multiple times. The video/pictures I saw were at night and Wayne was wearing an all white suit. It is actually on youtube in the form of a horrible quality cell phone camera video. Here it is:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmcDvFN70rk&search=flaming%20lips%20coachella

Speaking of youtube, here is their performance on Letterman from this past week. they do the "Yeah Yeah Yeah Song"
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jyoHa4noRhU
  • Options
    rock...just got back from second night at webster hall. same setlist but it was worth it considering the show they put on. balloons, confetti, people dressed as jesus and santa with flashlights on the stage.
    im pretty sure the set is the same as langaredo but im not positive.
    on of my top five non pearl jam concert experiences.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The Lips are some good stuff. I love The Soft Bulletin
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    rock...just got back from second night at webster hall. same setlist but it was worth it considering the show they put on. balloons, confetti, people dressed as jesus and santa with flashlights on the stage.
    im pretty sure the set is the same as langaredo but im not positive.
    on of my top five non pearl jam concert experiences.
    Same setlist? That is very weak, especially in the same building, they have to known more than a few people were going to both shows. I love the band, but that is weak.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm seeing the lips this sunday for at a free concert here in Atlatna.

I won some kind of Free vip pass that gets me up on this extra special 99x viewing deck. All i had to do is lie to them and tell them on camera that i like 99x and the bands they play and i enjoy drinking southern comfort.......

I'm shallow i know but hopefully these passes are worth it :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I'll be seeing them next Wednesday at a radio show here in SD. Other bands on the bill are Bedouin Soundclash and Rogue Wave. Have to admit, I'm not particularly familiar with either of them. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Lips again though. While they may play the same setlist just about every night, they more than make up for it in visuals and audience interaction. Wayne brings the audience into the show like nobody else I've seen. They've been playing Vein of Stars recently in their sets, one of my favorite tracks from the new album, so hopefully we'll get it then.

Also, the Flaming Lips are on the Tonight Show the next night, May 25th.

They seem to be doing a lot of festivals/radio shows. Hopefully they'll pull out a full tour on their own soon.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Their show is one huge party, full of colors and costumes and lights, and can't-believe-they're-actually-doing-that moments.

Like sadprofessor, I was completely won over by their performance @ Langerado two months ago.

Have fun seeing them! Make sure you take your sense of humor with you.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    I'll be seeing them next Wednesday at a radio show here in SD. Other bands on the bill are Bedouin Soundclash and Rogue Wave. Have to admit, I'm not particularly familiar with either of them. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Lips again though. While they may play the same setlist just about every night, they more than make up for it in visuals and audience interaction. Wayne brings the audience into the show like nobody else I've seen. They've been playing Vein of Stars recently in their sets, one of my favorite tracks from the new album, so hopefully we'll get it then.

Also, the Flaming Lips are on the Tonight Show the next night, May 25th.

They seem to be doing a lot of festivals/radio shows. Hopefully they'll pull out a full tour on their own soon.

Awesome. I've been looking at setlist from europe it seems very heavy on the last three albums. Which is not bad because i love yoshimi and soft and the new one is not bad either :)

I heard they will do a tour late summer and fall on their own with three different openers in different areas of the country sonic youth, go team, and i forget who the other rumored band was.

I am excited :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I saw the band last night and it was pretty damn cool. Wayne really does connect with the crowd well. It was a short set becasue of the noise ordanance downtown, but it was very good. He came out in his bubble and rolled through the crowd a couple times.

If you are a fan of the band i would definatly go see them.

they did a cover of queens boheimian (sp?) rhapsody and they closed the show with War Pigs.

they played free radicals, vein of stars,the wand, yeah yeah yeah song, yoshimi part 1 & 2, she don't use jelly, do you realize, race for the prize.

I may have missed one or two but i think that was about it. Great concert I can't wait to see them on their own tour :)

if interested i think the setlist went like this
    Race for the Prize
    Bohemien Rhapsody
    Yoshimi Part 1
    Yoshimi Part 2
    Free Radicals
    Vein of Stars
    the WAND
    Yeah Yeah Yeah song
    She don't use Jelly
    Do you Realize?
    encore break
    War Pigs

I may have missed one or two
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    intodeep wrote:
    I saw the band last night and it was pretty damn cool. Wayne really does connect with the crowd well. It was a short set becasue of the noise ordanance downtown, but it was very good. He came out in his bubble and rolled through the crowd a couple times.

If you are a fan of the band i would definatly go see them.

they did a cover of queens boheimian (sp?) rhapsody and they closed the show with War Pigs.

they played free radicals, vein of stars,the wand, yeah yeah yeah song, yoshimi part 1 & 2, she don't use jelly, do you realize, race for the prize.

I may have missed one or two but i think that was about it. Great concert I can't wait to see them on their own tour :)

if interested i think the setlist went like this
    Race for the Prize
    Bohemien Rhapsody
    Yoshimi Part 1
    Yoshimi Part 2
    Free Radicals
    Vein of Stars
    the WAND
    Yeah Yeah Yeah song
    She don't use Jelly
    Do you Realize?
    encore break
    War Pigs

I may have missed one or two

sounds pretty cool, d... glad you had a good time.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I wanna see the Lips so bad. His plans for the new show are in the works, and they show a bit of in in the new Rollin Stone(1000th issue). I would love to see them, but they never play st louis or indy.
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to Wednesday. Supposedly Andy Summers from the Police is going to show up to play with Bedouin Soundclash, so that should be cool as well.

That intro of Race for the Prize is a great concert opener.

• Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I wanna see the Lips so bad. His plans for the new show are in the works, and they show a bit of in in the new Rollin Stone(1000th issue). I would love to see them, but they never play st louis or indy.

According to pollstar, they just added a date for Aug 26th at the Pageant in St. Louis.

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Heard the new record, wouldn't write home about it.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Heard the new record, wouldn't write home about it.
    I don't think it is a bad album. It does not stand up to their past two though. I think Vein of Stars is my favorite song from it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Since they scheduled a date in St Lou, I may have to check them out. I have Yoshimi, which I think is awesome and the new album is growin on me, the more I listen.

I have heard good things about Soft Bulletin. Shoud I go there next?
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Since they scheduled a date in St Lou, I may have to check them out. I have Yoshimi, which I think is awesome and the new album is growin on me, the more I listen.

I have heard good things about Soft Bulletin. Shoud I go there next?

Yes you should.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Definitely grab Soft Bulletin. Get the recent remaster that comes with a DVD (surround) version of it as well. The CD has the original tracklisting and mix, and is the only place you'll find 'Slow Motion'. The DVD mix is really cool too.

• Options
    RiderRider Posts: 125
    I saw the Lips back in the 90's at the Cats Cradle and thought they were terrible. They did not play live. They just put in a soundtrack and danced around pantomime style. PITIFUL!

Maybe they have improved with age or you can now just enjoy the larger spectacle but it was not a live music show.
    We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I saw em at the big day out in 2004. Best gig I have ever seen bar none..
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08