Options

new chili peppers track

chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
edited April 2006 in Other Music
i am one of those stubborn assholes who loves the chili peppers work from their 1st album until 'one hot minute'. i got bored of 'californication' after 3 to 4 listens, and 'by the way' is one of the very few albums i was so dissapointed in that i sold back to a used record store (i think i have only sold back 4 or 5 albums in my life). needless to say, i kinda gave up on them.

however, i heard the new track, and even though it still doesn't sound too much like their roots, i have to admit i like it. easily better than anything off of 'by the way' (which to me, doesn't say a whole lot). my hopes are coming alive again.

anybody on the same boat as me? and again, i admit i am an asshole who is nestaulgic (i know i spelled that wrong) for the old sounds, so no need for somebody to hate on my views.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I liked Can't Stop from By The Way, but I didn't like the chorus. Handful of other songs were good, but nothing great. Californication was pretty good, but not my favorite. I want Mother's Milk & Blood Sugar Sex Magik back. :(
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I wan't a big 'By the Way' fan either. I have high hopes for the new record though.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I hope the album will be better then their last one!

Come Back, oohh Come Back! ;)
  • Options
    JohnBriggsJohnBriggs Posts: 101
    "Dani California" is not too bad of a track. Reminds me a bit of there older days.
  • Options
    ya man, I love the Chili Peppers, obviously Blood Sugar, and definitely Californication, from front to back. Mother's Milk has some amazing tracks too. I also wasn't big on By the Way, thought it was boring, especially by their standards. Unfortunately because you posted though, I do have to hate on your views!! haha. One Hot Minute in my opinion is the black eye of the Chili's catalogue! Dave Navarro replacing John Frusciante was the most dissapointing things for me. To replace one of the most inspired, talented and innovative guitarists with one of the most image based, flaky rock star wanna be's hurt me, oh how it hurt. (And yes I know there's some good Jane's songs, but they were all written in one session). And really, I don't even care for the pre-Frusciante albums either, Backwoods is good, but Hilel's writing doesn't stack up against John's IMO, no disrespect to his legacy intended.

But anyways, back in line with agreeing with you, I'm definitely pumped for the new album, the first single seems like a step in the right direction after By the Way.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I didn't like By The Way at all either...this new song is pretty catchy but I don't know if it's that good yet...

Just wait a few weeks, until it's overplayed like crazy....people will hate it :)

Just my thoughts
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    mabe I am weird....................but I loved By the Way............not a bad song on their if you ask me. Same with Californiacation. One Hot Minute had its moments but...........there is no replacing Frusciante. I havent heard the new song yet but I am REALLY looking forward to it. I love pretty much everything the Chili Peppers have ever done so I cant imagine being dissapointed by this new album. As much as I love By the Way and Californiacation.........I would love hear them back to their roots as well. I heard they recorded this album in the same house they recorded Blood Sugar Sex magik and with Rick Rubin! It will be amazing. Just like everything elses they have ever done.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Dave Navarro replacing John Frusciante was the most dissapointing things for me. To replace one of the most inspired, talented and innovative guitarists with one of the most image based, flaky rock star wanna be's hurt me, oh how it hurt. (And yes I know there's some good Jane's songs, but they were all written in one session).

i agree dave navarro is a bit of a joke in the sense of a "rock star"...but the dude can play. frusciante is more of a composer than a shredder, ya know? guitar solos, i think dave wins...song writing & live performance, john's got it.

songs like "coffee shop," "shallow by thy game," "deep kick," "one big mob," and the self-titled "one hot minute" are too good of songs to make me ignore that album as a gem. "aeroplane" sucked though.

we'll see what happens once some more of the new RHCP songs come out...
  • Options
    rexdoggarexdogga Posts: 49
    Jon Fruchanti absolutley KILLS the ending solo of "Danny".
    I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing.

EF-PSYCHO-03!!!
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    I love the chili peppers and everything they've done going all the way back to the 80s. Ok I lied, I didn't love one hot minute, but I did like it. Dani california is awsome. I cant wait till the new album. Has anyone seen the video??? Its hilarious..
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    I will admit I really don't care for many songs off By the Way. But i did like the later half of the album quite a bit. Songs like Throw Away Your TV, Cabron, Lemon Trees On Mercury, Tear, Venice Queen (at least the first half), etc. were very interesting compared to the bland 1st half of the album. I liked the direction they were going in w/ the last half of the album. I hope they can combine that direction w/ their white boy p-funk in this new album and create some much needed new majic.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    I'm not sure anybody out there likes By the Way. I did like thier 2 songs they put on the greatest hits cd, however.
  • Options
    drew0 wrote:
    I liked Can't Stop from By The Way, but I didn't like the chorus. Handful of other songs were good, but nothing great. Californication was pretty good, but not my favorite. I want Mother's Milk & Blood Sugar Sex Magik back. :(
    according to John and Flea, other than DC and a hanful of others (remember it's a double album too) this one's got more "stupid funk" like the old days, and that the past few albums "weren't traditional CP albums"

head up :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I LOVE BY THE WAY!!! And everything else by the Chili Peppers.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    I really like the new song, and most of their other stuff as well. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    As far as I'm concerned By The Way is the bands masterpiece. A lot of experimenting and really fantastic stuff on that album...especially Warm Tape.
    Really looking forward to cleaned up versions of Wet Sand (possibly another Under the Bridge) and Tell Me Baby (a great Frusciante BSSM sound).
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    i didn't hate by the way.. but it didn't really catch me.. probably because i got it before i really knew the chili peppers at all (long ago..).

it might be their Binaural..

im still reallly reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly optimistic about Stadium Arcadium
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    by the way is in my top-five-of-all-time-ecxept-pearl-jam-list and i love everything the chili peppers did and i love dani california, too

it's funky, catchy but not too catchy (i liked by the way-the song-but i still tend to skip it...), and has this great solo...california r.i.p.
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    How nostalgia warps peoples memories.

The Chilis were fucking awful until John came along. There I've said it but its true, they were practically hair metal.

By The Way is a great album. "Too commercial, too poppy, blah blah blah", bullshit, just fantastic beautiful well written melodic (heaven forbid!?) songs.

Not quite as good as Californication, but hey.

New album will be ace.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    The Chilis were fucking awful until John came along. There I've said it but its true, they were practically hair metal.
    hair metal?!
    thats the last thing i'd say aboot their first three albums.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Where can I get a copy of this without having to go through those stinkin' "legal" downloads that don't let me play the music the way I want to?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.