Options

Almost Famous

ScottandPearlJamScottandPearlJam Posts: 1,126
edited September 2008 in The Porch
How cool is this movie
I watched like a hundred times
Imagine being on a PJ tour bus like that?
I know its all different now but can you imagine.
Going to everyshow, highlites, downfalls, all the posters :), PJ first t-shirt...lol

Scott
10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
5/21/10 9/7/11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    underrated film. I really liked it.
  • Options
    Love the movie, but even more than that, I love the fact that the guitar parts in Stillwater were played by none other than The Master Mike McCready

Fever Dog, scratching at my back door
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Love the movie, but even more than that, I love the fact that the guitar parts in Stillwater were played by none other than The Master Mike McCready

Yup, just learned that fact about Mike not too long ago. Makes me love the movie even more! ;)

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763

Wow. I had no idea that was Mike playing the guitar parts in Stillwater. Now I love that movie even more.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    I believe Cameron Crowe based a lot of the film on his experiences covering PJ on tour in the early 90s (including being pulled into the circle before the band goes out on stage)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    mjb wrote:
    I believe Cameron Crowe based a lot of the film on his experiences covering PJ on tour in the early 90s (including being pulled into the circle before the band goes out on stage)

Most were based on his experiences with bands from mid to late 70's, correct?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Most were based on his experiences with bands from mid to late 70's, correct?

PBM

Correct. It was his time spent with the Allman Bros. Band and Led Zeppelin. A mixture of the 2.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    I agree! I love this movie actually! It's damn good and it's sad that it's underrated! I just love the whole feel of the tour bus and going to shows and just being in that inner circle, just seems that Cameron Crowe had a blast in his youth! I mean you'd be a lucky SOB if you got to cover the Allman Bros. and Led Zeppelin! I also heard that Stillwater was based on Zeppelin, like that part where their guitarist stands on the roof and says "I'm a golden God" or something like that..yeah, I think Robert Plant said that too at one point.

And Oh! I just love the part where they all sing Tiny Dancer, wish I could expirence something like that!

How awesome is it that Mike did the guitar parts?! He is indeed THE MASTER!

Great great flick all in all :)
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    rmc1981rmc1981 Posts: 114
    Correct. It was his time spent with the Allman Bros. Band and Led Zeppelin. A mixture of the 2.

mjb is right. The part where the kid gets pulled into the circle is based off when crowe traveled with Pearl Jam a while back, and Ed pulled Crowe into the the group circle on the last night of the tour.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398
    Same witht he bus pulling away from the gas station without the lead singer.

happened to eddie and he hitch-hiked his way to the gig, made his way through the crowd and onto the stage
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    How cool is this movie
    Going to everyshow, highlites, downfalls, all the posters :), PJ first t-shirt...lol

Scott

you sound like SENROCK! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    mjb wrote:

nope ..

Led Zeppelin.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    rmc1981 wrote:
    The part where the kid gets pulled into the circle is based off when crowe traveled with Pearl Jam a while back, and Ed pulled Crowe into the the group circle on the last night of the tour.
    poto101 wrote:

happened to eddie and he hitch-hiked his way to the gig, made his way through the crowd and onto the stage

all this is correct
  • Options
    mike only played the guitar on the studio versions of the songs. peter frampton actually taught billy crudup to play the guitar so when the band is performing live, its actually them doing everything..... even jason lee singing. god i love that movie

"so how old am i?
    you're eleven
    eleven? ELEVEN!?!?!?"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

i heard that it was also from the time he spent with the eagles.
  • Options
    Good God I love this movie sfm.
    poto101 wrote:

WHAT?? I never heared of this. when? how?
    lol, I'm sure it was Stone's fault.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options

It's possible. He spent a lot of time with many different band's throughout his career with Rolling Stone. It's probably all encompassing.

I do believe Stillwater was loosely based on Zeppelin. If I recall correctly Jimmy Page was a difficult interview for Crowe to get because RS killed all of Led Zeppelins albums.

The part about seeing his sister in the airport was true. I think Greg Allman had taken all of his notes and tapes from the time he spent on the road with them. Allman was so fucked up on drugs he though Crowe was a cop. That's where the whole airport scene came into play.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    How cool is this movie

Scott

you and I should talk more.... :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    mike only played the guitar on the studio versions of the songs. peter frampton actually taught billy crudup to play the guitar so when the band is performing live, its actually them doing everything..... even jason lee singing. god i love that movie

"so how old am i?
    you're eleven
    eleven? ELEVEN!?!?!?"

both The Masters Frampton and McCready with Nancy Wilson held a "rock n roll school for "stillwater" to teach them how to be rockstars for the movie. Movements, mic holding, crowd focusing, etc. This movie.....i cant say enough about.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154

"Jesus, man, can you change the station? I've had a--had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man."

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    locked wrote:
    nope ..

Led Zeppelin.
    A lot of stuff was based on a bunch of different groups, but I read a Crowe interview where he said the circle part was definitely PJ. Though I doubt they were singing "Piggy Back Ride".

Also the band member getting mad at the kid and saying "he's taking notes with his eyes!" was supposedly Gregg Allman.

The "I am a Golden God!" was Robert Plant, though it wasn't at a kid's party.

Also, there was a Penny Lane, but her character was a mixture of a bunch of groupies.
  • Options
    How cool is this movie

Scott
    One of my favorite movies:)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    it is impossible to watch the tiny dancer scene and not get the chills. i have seen the movie soo many times and i get the chills right when that opening piano comes in and they dont go away until the scene is over. the greatest use of music in a film ever.
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Great Movie..............I can't even count how many times SENROCK and I have sat our asses down and watched this movie!!

We actually watched it Saturday Night and then popped in Imagine in Cornice........yeah, we had a great night that included a fried pickle!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,186

the version of Almost Famous that I bought included a Stillwater CD! fucking awesome man! its only 6-7 tracks, but is amazing.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    "Jesus, man, can you change the station? I've had a--had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man."

PBM
    HA! I have a tape with both Almost Famous and The Big Lebowski on it... too bad my VCR doesn't work anymore.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    It is a great movie! Real nice from Cameron Crowe and yeah, I believe that he based the movie by different groups, but the most one I heard of was Allman Bros. and Led Zeppelin, I haven't heard of PJ, but if so, then that's really really cool!

I'm sorry, I just had to comment on your post PJpixie! A fried Pickle?! Haha, that must've been one hell of a night! How do you fry a pickle? :P

And yeah, Noonie, that's a true story about the bus leaving without Eddie, it was a lollapalooza gig and he ran all the way I think, He didn't even hitch hike and Eddie was kinda late, so I read that Chris Cornell was going to stall the crowd until he got there....Something like that, It's on here: TwoFeetThick.com (Lollapalooza '92 Retrospective).
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    THe film was based on Cameron Crowe's experiences touring with LOADS of different bands, not one single band. A lot of it is talked about in the Director's Commentary (finally a director's commentary worth watching!!!), with a few odds and ends in the IMDB trivia page.

The scene where William is pulled into the group psyching thing before the gig was based on Vedder pulling Crowe into a similar situation with Pearl Jam.

The scene where the guys almost die on a plane is based on when Crowe was on tour with The Who and his plane almost crashed (the only other passenger was the merch guy, none of the band were on board).

The band is called Stillwater, because Stillwater was the first band that Crowe ever toured with.

Much of the band interaction is based on Led Zepp (Crowe said that he actually approached Page and Plant for permission because he felt a bit guilty about it) but has elements of other bands there.

The Golden God scene is based on Crowe's time with the Allman Brothers.

The scene where Russell phones up William's mum is based on a time where the guys from Deep Purple phoned up Crowe's mum.

William's relationship with Lester Bangs was based on Crowe's relationship with the real Lester Bangs

The bands interview with Kyle Gas at the radio station (in the extended edition) is based on a radio interview with Neil Young where the radio presenter fell asleep mid-interview so Neil talked a bit on the mic and then walked out.

Etc. etc. There's lots of little bits of Crowe's life in there, it's quite amazing he fit it all together. He talks through most of the stories on the director's commentary, but I'm sure there's plenty more little things that he hasn't delved into.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options

I'm sorry, I just had to comment on your post PJpixie! A fried Pickle?! Haha, that must've been one hell of a night! How do you fry a pickle? :P
    We hadd to go to some restaurant that specializes in fried pickles. In the nexxxt few weeks i will master the art of frying pickles!!! :D they are DEEEELISH!!!

• Options
    "I have to go home" whew....."you are home" :)

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11