Options

Alice In Chains/Layne Staley

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
edited January 2006 in Other Music
I have recently been really turned on to their music. Always liked them, but never really dove deep into their catalog or history.

Layne Staley's death sounds so quiet, insignificant, and sad. I remember at the time pretty much everybody expected him to die anyways. (didnt he almost die a few times?) I read that only 200 fans showed up at a vigil when he died.

I found a good article about Layne and he seemed like a really genuine guy.

Cocaine and heroin suck.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486206/20040406/alice_in_chains.jhtml?headlines=true

'Fans got a taste of Alice in Chains' goofy sense of humor during an edition of "Headbangers Ball" shot at a water park. The bandmembers showed up wearing bathing caps, water wings and flotation devices shaped like animals. Later, Staley cast a fishing pole into the aquarium and Cantrell was pushed into the pool — the band was booted from the park soon after.'

'In some ways, Alice in Chains' frontman was like a mischievous little kid trapped in the body of an agonized artist. He carried a Game Boy around with him, which he played at every free moment.'

'There was a soft side to Layne Staley as well, one that contrasted sharply with his brooding vocals and haunting lyrics. He loved playing with his cats and talked about someday falling in love and having kids. He nearly started crying when he talked about friends who had passed away and expressed genuine compassion when I shared a story about a traumatic death in my family. But being in the music business hardened Staley, and fame scared him.'

'The beginning of the end for Layne came in October 1996, when Demri Parrott, his girlfriend, died from a bacterial infection caused by drug abuse. After that, he pretty much gave up and became the rock and roll casualty he swore to me he would never be — and for all intents and purposes, he vanished from view.'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, his death has never been fully appreciated. However, the band is starting to get a lot more credit than they used to thank God.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I too have been recently looking at Alice In Chains, Im in love with Alone thats recorded with Pearl Jam (definatly Eddie anyway) and Rooster is just amazing. Due to Alice In Chains not being fully credited it took me alot longer to find out how good they really are than it did for me to hear about Nirvana... a shame really as Alice in Chains and Layne were and still are amazing
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    man i never knew much about layne staley personally, those quotes really hit ya hard.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains Unplugged is one of those albums I could never stop listening to!
  • Options
    Check out their self-titled work "Alice in Chains" which is often referred to as "Tripod." That album will BITCHSLAP YOU IN THE FACE!!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Check out their self-titled work "Alice in Chains" which is often referred to as "Tripod." That album will BITCHSLAP YOU IN THE FACE!!!!

Alright. Ill check it out. I was in the market for a bitchslap in the face tonight
  • Options
    ms11781ms11781 Posts: 88
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Alice In Chains Unplugged is one of those albums I could never stop listening to!

That's one of those albums that I have multiple copies of. One for the house, one for the car and have downloaded on my MP3 player. The copy I have for the house has been collecting dust since the release of the DVD, though.
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    fuck MTV! they wouldnt know music if it was stuffed down their mouths, shat out and stuffed back in their mouths
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    Yeah, MTV, rather "The Music Channel" as Mr. Vedder calls it, can BLOW ME!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio