DMB show at MSG 12/9

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
edited December 2005 in Other Music
I went there. A friend of mine is in the fan club and got tickets for us last night and tonight. I just started ripping some PJ boots and he really likes them now so we organized kind of a concert 'exchange program'. Side/back corner of the stage, maybe 25 rows up last night, 5th row center floor tonight.

Im not a big DMB fan. Havent heard any songs since he left the mainstream... I like the band... but I wouldnt call myself a fan.

Anyways. The opening band was 'Soul Live' (I think thats what they were called. A litre of Tangrauy/Tonic on the train ride will do that to ya.... They were awesome. I only caught like 3 songs, but I was impressed. A lot of folks were there for the opening act, so maybe they are popular.

The crowd for DMB was deafening. I dont know if its the acoustics in MSG (first time there). Nice crowd. I didnt encounter any assholes. They got mad when I would yell 'popcorn peanuts rangers suck' in the hallways, but thats expected. The crowd was considerably older than when I saw them maybe 3 years ago. (and no, there was a bigger difference than everybody simply aging 3 years). I also never smelled and saw such a giant cloud of pot in my life. I didnt have any, but everyone there most def had a contact buzz.

The show itself was good. The songs I dont know were too EMO for my tastes... almost to the point of nausea. 1 or 2 of them rocked out. 'Too Much' was really good. The setlist was dwarfed in comparison to a PJ show, but I felt we got our money's worth. Only 1 encore of 2 songs. The last song they played was 'Two Step'. That was awesome live. Lots of improv. Best part of the show.

I am impressed that Dave Matthews has such an instrumental role with the acoustic guitar, playing every song. I dont think I ever realized that. That dude that plays violin with the dreds and sunglasses annoys the piss out of me. I just dont like his body language and how he looks. Some big fat dude plays the trumpet and I thought he was really good. The drum set was absolutely giant. The drummer is enclosed in a giant pit of metal.

I would rank this show in the middle of the pack in the shows Ive been to. Not as good as PJ, Allmans on a good night, or Tom Petty from this summer.... but good.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Dave is a great guitarist, has his own style, and they are amazing musicians and play great together, seen them 6 times, don't care for their fanbase though, nothing like PJ's
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • cool review

i've seen dmb once and enjoyed myself...they always seem to sell out everywhere they play live, so i couldn't not go and check it out. the crowd was up and the music was there. they played watchtower, best song ever.
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Soulive is the shit.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Went to Night II last night 4th row toward the right of the stage. About 50 feet from Dave Matthews. First time ive experienced any large show from that close. It was awesome being up there. The show was so much more enjoyable.
    I noticed a lot of the crowd up there was kind of lackluster. I dont know if its where we were but the entire crowd was much quieter than night I.

Good show. It didnt seem like the violin player tried to jump in the spotlight as much as what annoyed me in night I. Sat in front of the sax and trumpet players. It was cool. The fat trumpet dude made eye contact with me and nodded before he played a solo. Something he probably does all the time, but it was cool to see some sort of connection to a band member. Probably something all you PJ heads are used to that have been on the floor a lot...

Rapunzel *
    What Would You Say
    #41 *
    One Sweet World *
    So Much To Say *
    Seek Up
    Hunger For The Great Light *
    Minarets
    Dream Girl
    Linus And Lucy *
    Stand Up *
    Jimi Thing *+
    Smooth Rider *~
    Louisiana Bayou ~*

Christmas Song
    Halloween
    Ants Marching

Show Notes:
    * Rashawn Ross
    + Mike Doughty
    ~ Robert Randolph

He played the other half of the songs a casual fan such as me recognize 'Rupunzel', a song I never really cared for sounded great live and they opened with that. 2nd song was 'what would you say'. Id say maybe 3 songs were drawn out, wavering toward a boring EMO that I particularly dont care for with them... and I got a little bored during those songs. The encore was good. 3 songs. The 2nd one I hear was a rarity of some sort. They closed with 'Ants Marching'

At the end of the main set, Robert randolph came out and played a mean slide guitar. It was pretty sick. Some dude in Sbarro before the show told us that he heard Neil Young was going to appear, so I was disappointed.

So good show. A notch or 2 above the first one. This convinced me to get on the floor next time PJ comes around at all costs.

They also played the snoopy song on the keyboard and it was fantastic
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I saw DMB once and it sucked. Definitely would not say I'm a fan, but to each his own. The drummer is sick. However, Soulive fucking rocks.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • I was at the show on Saturday night. There were a few kids in the crowd around me that were definitely annoying... but I enjoyed the show for the most part. I was definitely excited to hear Halloween. The show got a little boring in the middle, they jam out a little too much! :) I mean the show was really long, but they only played about 18 songs. They are great musicians and the show was definitely worth it, but I'll take a PJ show any night over DMB! :D
  • i went friday night and thought it was amazing.........i go to alot of concerts, and lately i haven't had intense experiences like i used to in my late teens/early 20's..........i thought it was either:

a) i'm getting too old

b) i've been to soooo many shows i am now harder to impress

c) i don't smoke pot anymore

well, the answer may have been C, cuz i started smoking again, and i smoked at the dave show, and it was the most intense, high energy show i've been to in a long time.......and it didn't hurt that i was next to 2 hot chicks who i made friends with

the only recent concert that was that good was PJ in newfoundland......i was sober, but i was in the 3rd row, so it was a completely different experience
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young