Foo Fighters Acoustic Tour

FabesFabes Posts: 19
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I went to the Foo's acoustic show at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA, and let me tell you, it was one of the most incredible evenings. They sounded so unbelieveable. It was by far the best concert I ever went to, better than all of my PJ concerts. The small, old movie theater environment, being 8 rows from the front, the 8 piece band, the stories Dave Grohl had to tell, the energy and vibe the band gave us, the laid back ACOUSTIC environment, everything added up to be an amazing evening. Dave seemed to be enjoying himself and really seemed like he wanted to be there with us. Surely a night I will never forget.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The foo fighters are a phenominal act to see live. My 2nd fave behind pearl jam. I am so pissed that they are not doing a show anywhere near Texas specifically Dallas since Taylor is from here. The foos have blown me away electric live 2 times, so seeing them accoustic must have been like an orgasm. I hope we get a dvd of this in some form. I went and looked at the setlist and just wow. I am so jealous! Also, they have Pat Smear back so that is cool. I'm glad you had a great time, and thank you for sharing. I really like the IYH album even though most don't seem to care for the accoustic disc, but I thought it was a great disc. How did Floaty sound accoustic? I bet that was a treat.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • they r great
    i saw them the same week or so i saw pj at msg
    and although i was on a pj high they ranked pretty high
    played long fast hard
    :)
  • FabesFabes Posts: 19
    From what I heard (and Dave said they're "filming a homemovie" at the show), an Unplugged CD and DVD is coming out in November, forget the exact date at the moment, maybe the 7th? Either way it should be sweeet.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Cool! I think it's nice when bands do acoustic tours. Gives the songs a different angle, which is always good.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • lovebuzzlovebuzz Posts: 42
    I'm going to the afoostic show in Boston on Tuesday - I can't wait! We've got some of the worst seats in the venue (Balcony, 3rd row from the back - at least I got them for face value and didn't have to pay some scalper on eBay!) and I'm still excited :) I will report back...
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Fabes wrote:
    From what I heard (and Dave said they're "filming a homemovie" at the show), an Unplugged CD and DVD is coming out in November, forget the exact date at the moment, maybe the 7th? Either way it should be sweeet.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    the foo are corny. after hearing their stuff i wonder how he could have been in nirvana.

yea i said it.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    I'm going to the acoustic show tonight here in Boston. I am embarrassed to say, though, that I am not entirely familiar with all of their songs. I looked at their setlists and dont really recognize anything. Hopefully I'll recognize them from sound rather than by name. I am such a tool for not knowing. I'm sure it'll be good anyway....
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    I hope they hit up Atlanta with this tour, seen them last year, but really want to see the acoustic tour!!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • get there early for Frank Black if he's still opening.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Nitro wrote:
    I'm going to the acoustic show tonight here in Boston. I am embarrassed to say, though, that I am not entirely familiar with all of their songs. I looked at their setlists and dont really recognize anything. Hopefully I'll recognize them from sound rather than by name. I am such a tool for not knowing. I'm sure it'll be good anyway....

The sets are mainly the acoustic songs from In Your Honor, the most recent abum. "Marigold" is a Nirvana b-side and "Skin & Bones" is a b-side from In Your Honor, hence why you may not recognize those. "Walking After You" and "February Stars" are both from the Colour & the Shape and others than that, from what I remember, it's just acoustic versions of old hits.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Went to show in Boston - had great seats in the pit - great show.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• NitroNitro Posts: 265
    Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

Show last night was incredible. The songs i know kicked ass, the once i didnt know i'm now a huge fan of. Just a great show. Dave Grohl is funny as hell too.

Good times...
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    I saw the Beacon Theater show, it was great, actually I think it was so-so good until the encore of "Friend of a Friend", which he said was the first song he ever wrote, then it was special good. He said Joe Walsh was in the audience, said hello to his kids I think, told them to put the ear plugs in.
    Frank Black was in good form too, got a good reception.

The only real bummer for me were the people who had the urge to scream "yeah" at the top of their lungs at every quiet moment in the show, do these people realize they are fucking up everyone elses vibe?
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'd love to see an acoustic Foo Fighters show, one of the best shows I ever saw was just Matt Good and his acoustic guitar.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Saw them at the Beacon on Monday in NYC. Was a good show. People chanting Everlong after every song sucked. You know its going to be last so just shut up. My seats were up in the upper balcony might of had a better time if I was closer. Marigold a Nirvana b side to Heart Shaped Box and a new song Skin and Bones which is a b side to there new song DOA were two highlights of the show for me.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    the NY Times review, which I would say is mixed, the reviewer I think picked up the same vibe as me, it didnt get real good until "Friend of a Friend"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/arts/music/23foo.html?ref=arts
  • lovebuzzlovebuzz Posts: 42
    I was at the Boston show last night... dare I say it was one of, if not the, best shows I've ever seen (yes, that even includes the 8 times I've seen Pearl Jam).

The whole intimate, acoustic vibe just made it so much more special. I loved how Dave would talk about some of the songs before they played them, giving a bit of a story to a lot of them. We had horrible seats (highest balcony up, third row from the back) and I still felt like I was right in the middle of it all, connected to the band. Acoustic or not, Dave Grohl rocked out like a bad ass, yet his singing was incredibly heart-felt. I've seen them once live in person and have heard multiple live recordings - DG is a great screamer and all, but sometimes I don't like his voice. Last night though, he possessed this tender, almost vulnerable aspect... words can't quite describe. I have also heard that DG is one of the coolest, most down to earth "rock stars"... I think that was very evident last night. And, he's funny as hell. Great to see Pat Smear playing with the band again... wonder if that will be a permenant thing?

Unfortunately, it was hot as a mofo in the theater... so hot it was almost distracting at times...
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    So glad I got tickets to this show in Boston. Everything about it was so great. Dave is one funny bastard. I'd have to say that next to Eddie, he is the coolest man in rock and roll.
  • I thought the Boston show was amazing. The acoustic arrangements were beautiful, and seeing them at the Wang in a smaller setting was so special. I was blown away when Dave started in on "Best Of You" by himself, but then I was a little anxious for him. I thought the rest of the band was going to come out for back-up. But, he kept going, just belting it out and I was like "whoa!" It was incredible! Great show. Dave is so freaking funny. I love how he tells a story and then breaks it up with "anyhoo". He'd be a fun guy to hang out with. :)
    Dante: "You hate people!"
    Randal: "But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?"
  • I saw their Toronto show Wednesday night. I thought the show kicked ass. The press wasn't as impressed apparently as they didn't give the show very favorable reviews. I don't think they saw the same show I did. Dave was funny as hell. I agree that morons yelling out "everlong" after every song kinda gets annoying. At least Dave addressed them by saying "look, you know it's going to be the last song so if you really want I'll play it right now and we can all go home." Before "friend of a friend" he was telling a story of when he and Kurt lived together and the song kind evolved from that and he said it was the starting point for the whole acoustic thing. Overall I thought the show was great, one of the best I've been to in a while.
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    yeah, i saw them in Seattle at the Paramount...twas very splendid. the sound was sooo awesome!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I'm heading out tomorrow night and Wednesday... maybe Thursday, too.
    I've seen and love the Foo's Rock Shows and am really looking forward to their acoustic gigs.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • just picked up 2 more tix for thursday.
    3 nights in a row. hope they mix-up their setlists.