Jet

desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Every review I read on Jet makes a reference to how much they rip off Oasis and AC/DC, which is funny because I pretty much hate both of these bands, yet I really dig Jet. They're my favorite new band since the Foo Fighters.

Maybe it's the late 60's early 70's Beatles/Led Zep/Stones influence that I really like. But everyone made such a fuss about Oasis when they first came out and how similar to the Beatles they were and I just always thought they sucked (a few good songs, but couldn't stand an entire album). I actually like the simple nature of Jet's songs and the variety within an album, but I digress.

I just find it funny that I really like this band but the two bands their compared to the most, I really can't stand. Music is crazy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The reviews of Jet's albums on Pitchfork are hilarious.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • I think Jet's influences are all over the place, so it's impossible to say they get their sound from just one or two bands. I think that's just a sign of a lazy reviewer who can't be bothered to put much effort into the review. The AC/DC comparison is really lazy because it's really based on one or twso songs and the fact that they're from Australia. They have other obvious influences, too. There's Zeppelin, the Beatles, Oasis, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, and I can even hear a little Beach Boys influence on a couple songs towards the end of the new album.

They are definitely one of the best bands to come along in a while. Both albums are very strong from start to finish. The bonus tracks on copies of "Shine On" available at Best Buy are both pretty good, too. They're demos, but the rough sound gives them an older sound that fits the style of the songs perfectly.
  • no offense personally, but i don't understand how somebody can think AC/DC and Oasis are shitty and Jet is authentic...and good. Jet is far from unique my friend. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is the phoniest song of all time - they didnt write it, about 9 other bands did.

I don't know, one man's corn-filled shit may be another man's favorite band...

rock on!
  • no offense personally, but i don't understand how somebody can think AC/DC and Oasis are shitty and Jet is authentic...and good. Jet is far from unique my friend. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is the phoniest song of all time - they didnt write it, about 9 other bands did.

I don't know, one man's corn-filled shit may be another man's favorite band...

rock on!

None taken. I like Bob Ross' art too. I don't analyze, I just see if it pleases my ears.

Are You Gonna Be My Girl is not my favorite song on the album, if that's all their songs were I wouldn't think much of them, other than, that's a catchy radio hit that's liable to pull them a shit load of pu$$y, but they actually do have variety and songs that go a little beyond than that (Look What You've Done, Take it or Leave it, Shine On, Shiny Magazine), but's it's music, it's opinion, it's what makes pistons fire in your mind as compared to mine. You could never offend me by disliking music I dig. Thanks for taking the time to tell me you don't like it though...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it's not so much that they 'rip off oasis'. i reckon it's got more to do with the fact that both bands are produced by dave sardi. and yeah you can hear oasis on their songs, which naturally means you're gonna hear the beatles. but there are also songs where i can hear the vines.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    regardless of blatantly ripping off other bands, i cant help but listen to a Jet album and think "Wow I'd really rather be listening to the Beatles, Oasis, or the Rolling Stones right now"....some good songs, but overall their albums sound bland and recycled
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    They are better live than in the studio..and they are WAY better than they were 3 years ago...I saw them in San Diego with the Vines and they were crap..last year at Inland Invasion they had really improved from being on the road. Saw them 2 weeks ago at the Fonda Theater in Hollywood..they were a great rock show..entertaining..not the best show ever but solid for $15.00
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
    what rock album doesn't have zepplin influence?
  • I thought they were okay until I realized "Are You Gonna be My Girl" - the single that made them popular - is an EXACT rip-off of Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life."

So, let's see: The Beatles, Stones, Oasis, AC/DC, Iggy Pop...any other's these hacks are impersonating? :D
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    So, let's see: The Beatles, Stones, Oasis, AC/DC, Iggy Pop...any other's these hacks are impersonating? :D

Honestly, I don't care. I put on a song and I like it and that's it. Originality is overrated.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I guess I see why you love kiss
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Actually when I first heard Cold Heart B**ch, I was thinking that they were definitely AC/DC-influenced and that they also kind of sounded like an 80s band and I thought that that was cool. To me if it pleases my ears I'll listen to it. I don't over-analyze the music I listen to. I guess I'm kind of like desandrews
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Actually when I first heard Cold Heart B**ch, I was thinking that they were definitely AC/DC-influenced and that they also kind of sounded like an 80s band and I thought that that was cool. To me if it pleases my ears I'll listen to it. I don't over-analyze the music I listen to. I guess I'm kind of like desandrews

i thought cold hard bitch was a buckcherry song for the longest time.
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Originality is overrated.

ouch! i'd be nervous to see your cd collection.