Nine Inch Nails go independent

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Surprised this hasn't been posted here already, but anyway Trent Reznor has been released from his contract with Universal because they don't like him :D

Here's the link on Digg: http://www.digg.com/music/Trent_Reznor_splits_from_Universal_Music_goes_completely_independent
And his statement on his normal site: http://nin.com/ You gotta scroll down a bit for that.
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what's not to like? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    does that mean we'll get a best of nine inch nails comp soon? that would be sweet. i like trent alright and he's written some of the best songs of the last few years, but i always find the albums inconsistent. if i could get head like a hole, hurt, and perfect drug on one disc, i'd be happy.
    does that mean we'll get a best of nine inch nails comp soon? that would be sweet. i like trent alright and he's written some of the best songs of the last few years, but i always find the albums inconsistent. if i could get head like a hole, hurt, and perfect drug on one disc, i'd be happy.

easy done. just burn them onto your own personal comp. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    easy done. just burn them onto your own personal comp. :)

i like to buy. i like liner notes and a real cd on my shelf :)
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I doubt its because they dont like him..........they make quite a bit of money off his music so I would think they would keep him based on that alone
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Now only if Trent Reznor went broke...............
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I doubt its because they dont like him..........they make quite a bit of money off his music so I would think they would keep him based on that alone

He has been bashing the hell out of record companies for a long time. They really didn't like the fact that he started leaking Year Zero on flash drives at gigs. But you're right, they still must have made a fair bit of money from him.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • does that mean we'll get a best of nine inch nails comp soon? that would be sweet. i like trent alright and he's written some of the best songs of the last few years, but i always find the albums inconsistent. if i could get head like a hole, hurt, and perfect drug on one disc, i'd be happy.

Sounds like you haven't tried hard enough, persevere! It took me a long while to get into them, but after a few listens of The Fragile I was suddenly struck with one of those 'holy fuck!' moments. Trent is a musical genius, and whilst some of his stuff is better than the other, there are at least a handful of decent songs on every album. I hate 'best of' records just because they never truly represent the artist, and more often than not you end up missing out on a load of cool songs.
    i like to buy. i like liner notes and a real cd on my shelf :)

i hear ya. but perhaps in the interim it wouldn't be such a bad idea. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    audiodave wrote:
    He has been bashing the hell out of record companies for a long time. They really didn't like the fact that he started leaking Year Zero on flash drives at gigs. But you're right, they still must have made a fair bit of money from him.

Him handing out free music sounds like a better reason that the record company got rid of him
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Sounds like you haven't tried hard enough, persevere! It took me a long while to get into them, but after a few listens of The Fragile I was suddenly struck with one of those 'holy fuck!' moments. Trent is a musical genius, and whilst some of his stuff is better than the other, there are at least a handful of decent songs on every album. I hate 'best of' records just because they never truly represent the artist, and more often than not you end up missing out on a load of cool songs.

there are a handful of great songs on each of his albums. but there is also a lot of filler. and with a comp, i get to lose the filler.

i love best ofs, there are a lot of artists i like but don't feel compelled to have the entire catalogu of.
  • Trent Reznor owns.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Trent has gone on record before by saying he is not a fan of "best of" compilations. It's not his thing, so don't expect one anytime soon. It's usually a record company's lame attempt to cash in on established artists, anyways.
    Personally, I agree with him and wouldn't want to see one. I would hate it if certain popular songs were singled out and bundled together just to please the casual fan. We have Ministry and Rob Zombie to do that.
    Downward Spiral and Fragile are amazing albums and those songs deserve to be listened to in their original context.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Downward Spiral and Fragile are amazing albums and those songs deserve to be listened to in their original context.

Very true. I tried listening to The Downward Spiral on shuffle ONCE and I had to stop - it was so odd and didn't feel *right*.

Interscope can still put out a 'greatest hits' sort of thing though and I don't think he can stop them.

But congrats Trent!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Trent has gone on record before by saying he is not a fan of "best of" compilations. It's not his thing, so don't expect one anytime soon. It's usually a record company's lame attempt to cash in on established artists, anyways.
    Personally, I agree with him and wouldn't want to see one. I would hate it if certain popular songs were singled out and bundled together just to please the casual fan. We have Ministry and Rob Zombie to do that.

1) if he's off the label, odds are good his record company will do exactly that

2) if you have ever downloaded a song, you are a hypocrite. yes, i am a casual fan. is that so horrible? do we have to worship every track ever released by every artist we want to listen to? or is it acceptable to you for us to occasionally take only a casual interest in some groups? cos im in the latter camp for nine inch nails. i'm sorry i'm not as cool as you. i've listened to the downward spiral many times... i only care for about half the songs on there. the perfect drug is released only on a shitty soundtrack... do i have to buy the whole damn thing just for one song? that is why we all bitch about record companies in the first place.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I don''t buy the "flow of the album" argument and I think greatest hits albums are a great idea that allow people to discover new bands and are a good place to start. Rearviewmirror is why I became a fan of Pearl Jam. I know the Downward Spiral is meant to be a concept album but the songs, individually, are good enough to stand on their own.
  • there are a handful of great songs on each of his albums. but there is also a lot of filler. and with a comp, i get to lose the filler.

i love best ofs, there are a lot of artists i like but don't feel compelled to have the entire catalogu of.

But sometimes songs you might first deem to be filler, might be songs that grow on you.
  • muppet wrote:
    I don''t buy the "flow of the album" argument and I think greatest hits albums are a great idea that allow people to discover new bands and are a good place to start. Rearviewmirror is why I became a fan of Pearl Jam. I know the Downward Spiral is meant to be a concept album but the songs, individually, are good enough to stand on their own.

i dont see how you cant buy into the flow of the album thing. a good deal of stuff on tds and the fragile lead into each other. just put one of those discs on random and youll hear it. the end of one song is the beginning of the next.

i think a best of would still be hard to pull of given that another label owns pretty hate machine, so there goes head like a hole, terrible lie, and something i can never have.

with that said i made a best of cd for the car so i dont have to change cds while driving. its odd at times and i always wish i had added something else cause you can only fit so much. but my cd doesnt even have closer (i dont like this song much at all) on it or march of the pigs. which would likely be on a best of.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    i dont see how you cant buy into the flow of the album thing. a good deal of stuff on tds and the fragile lead into each other. just put one of those discs on random and youll hear it. the end of one song is the beginning of the next.

i think a best of would still be hard to pull of given that another label owns pretty hate machine, so there goes head like a hole, terrible lie, and something i can never have.

with that said i made a best of cd for the car so i dont have to change cds while driving. its odd at times and i always wish i had added something else cause you can only fit so much. but my cd doesnt even have closer (i dont like this song much at all) on it or march of the pigs. which would likely be on a best of.

I was reffering more to the Downward Spiral, where the songs didn't necessairly lead into each other (apart from A Warm Place/Eraser) but rather they were connected by a theme. But yeah, I see what you mean about The Fragile.