Barenaked Ladies

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Any fans around? I recently started listening to them a little bit. Really cool. Just good, fun music, and a few really good standout tracks (Old Apartment is my current favourite) Anyway, Reason I started listening to them was because I was given a ticket to their gig which was on last night, and I gotta say, I've never had so much fun at a concert! The band are so funny. Half the show was like stand-up comedy, and they do great adlibbing, making up almost entire songs straight off the cuff (They sang a song about Ryanair, which they can't have knowbn about for more than a day). The actual performance of the songs was top notch too. If you get a chance check 'em out. Even if you're not a fan of the music I guarantee you'd have a good time
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I've seen them a bunch of times as a friend of mine is obsessed with them....she's even going on the Ships and Dips cruise they're doing round the Carribean!

She texted me the other night as she was in their sound check in Glasgow and they did a Neil Young medley.

They are good fun live, and some of their records are cool.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I like their music ok, but there's never been anything to completely draw me in and become a real fan. I had the album with One Week on it, but my fiance liked it so much that I gave it to her before we got engaged. I haven't seen it since....
  • Personally I think they're really annoying and I'd like to kick them in the balls for being so godamn happy and peppy, but to each his own.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Personally I think they're really annoying and I'd like to kick them in the balls for being so godamn happy and peppy, but to each his own.
    :D I think That's what I like about them. There aren't many happy bands around. Most prefer to moan. It sells better. The music isn't ground breaking or anything, just good fun, and like I said, the live show is great :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • :D I think That's what I like about them. There aren't many happy bands around. Most prefer to moan. It sells better. The music isn't ground breaking or anything, just good fun, and like I said, the live show is great :)

I like content people, but openly happy people piss me off....lol.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • :D I think That's what I like about them. There aren't many happy bands around. Most prefer to moan. It sells better. The music isn't ground breaking or anything, just good fun, and like I said, the live show is great :)

i'm with you on this thought

it's nice to go to a show and laugh. that is all too rare in rock n roll

having said that steve and ed make a hellofa songwriting/singer duo
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Personally I think they're really annoying and I'd like to kick them in the balls for being so godamn happy and peppy, but to each his own.

I think this is a popular misconception about this band. Yes, the music, for the most part, is happy, happy, joy, joy but some of the song lyrics are quite dark under the surface.

A lot of their songs are about depression......'Pinch Me', 'This Is Where It Ends' etc....it's just well disguised.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • I think this is a popular misconception about this band. Yes, the music, for the most part, is happy, happy, joy, joy but some of the song lyrics are quite dark under the surface.

A lot of their songs are about depression......'Pinch Me', 'This Is Where It Ends' etc....it's just well disguised.

Oh God, don't even bring up that song "Pinch Me". When they were playing that song on the radio a few years back I wanted to kill myself every time it came on.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Have any of you heard their cover of Bruce Cockburns "Lovers In A Dangerous Time"....it's great!!!!

....I haven't listened to them in a few years, but I used to love "What A Good Boy" off "Gordon"
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • fun band.

'alcohol' is a fun song, as is much of their music. their christmas album is often hilarious.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    first ever concert i went to was BNL at the coliseum. great concert, i made out with a 17 year old. there older stuff is good, new stuff is ehhhhhhhhhh
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    first ever concert i went to was BNL at the coliseum. great concert, i made out with a 17 year old. there older stuff is good, new stuff is ehhhhhhhhhh

it's fun to make out with the older girls like that.

and bnl rock.
  • brain of c wrote:

and bnl rock.

Oh darn, I thought metsfan might be a pedophile.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    brain of c wrote:

and bnl rock.
    yeah it was, when i said i was 14 shes like dam u kiss good.
    Oh darn, I thought metsfan might be a pedophile.
    nah i go for older girls

go padres

• first ever concert i went to was BNL at the coliseum. great concert, i made out with a 17 year old. there older stuff is good, new stuff is ehhhhhhhhhh

Heyyy, my first concert was the ladies in Grand Rapids on December 28th i think about 7 years ago. Great concert and a bitch of a snowstorm afterwards.

I think i started listening to them after my cousin always played "if i had $1000000" at every campfire :). Fun band though. I don't listen to them as much anymore but every once in a while i'll throw them on.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
    Heyyy, my first concert was the ladies in Grand Rapids on December 28th i think about 7 years ago. Great concert and a bitch of a snowstorm afterwards.

I think i started listening to them after my cousin always played "if i had $1000000" at every campfire :). Fun band though. I don't listen to them as much anymore but every once in a while i'll throw them on.
    mine was 7 years ago too, its was the BNL2k tour. my cousin went to the U at buffalo and one summer when she came back, she gave me a cd of theres this was back in 97