Let's hear it for the KING

Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
edited October 2007 in Other Music
God love that fat, fool's gold eating, pill popping, TCB'ing....idol.

I was just listening to his greatest hits.
What would the music scene be like today if Elvis was still alive. I mean I know he wouldnt be performing (maybe in Vegas I guess) ....would he still be involved in the bizz somehow?
>>>>
>
...a lover and a fighter.
"I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• He did, apparently, create Rock 'n' Roll which is one of the best music genre's ever.

He should be given some credit. Good romantic songs as well.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    i had never in my life intentionally listened to elvis til this year. i found a 4 disc live in las vegas compilation on some blog, decided to give it a day in court and i gotta say i was impressed. it stayed in the car shuffle for at least a month.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Lotsa people take the king for granted, but, if you are a fan of music, visit Graceland. The atmosphere at that place is incredible. You walk through the front door, and all through the house and know that Elvis, along with the likes of Zeppelin walked the halls.

I also recommend attempting to recreate the classic scene from This Is Spinal Tap when you vist the tomb.
  • This thread needs more attention...I really like Elvis
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I hate to come into a 'love' thread and shit on it (hey Cree, you said, "lets hear it for him"....so here ya go...)...but I don't think much of Elvis...the guy didn't write any of his own songs...he is just another pretty face put to music.
    Did he not just steal the sounds coming out of the black communities and package them for the masses? That seems to be a lot of people's take on him....

Some of the songs he performs are catchy, and his popularity transformed music...but I don't think he's deserving of the whole King thing. To top it all off, he died on my birthday, so I have to watch the fucking Graceland pilgrimages every year on MY day....:p
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    He did, apparently, create Rock 'n' Roll which is one of the best music genre's ever.

He should be given some credit. Good romantic songs as well.

hahaha, he didn't create rock'n'roll. He did create mass profits from rock'n'roll, but that's about it.
    I hate to come into a 'love' thread and shit on it (hey Cree, you said, "lets hear it for him"....so here ya go...)...but I don't think much of Elvis...the guy didn't write any of his own songs...he is just another pretty face put to music.
    Did he not just steal the sounds coming out of the black communities and package them for the masses? That seems to be a lot of people's take on him....

Some of the songs he performs are catchy, and his popularity transformed music...but I don't think he's deserving of the whole King thing. To top it all off, he died on my birthday, so I have to watch the fucking Graceland pilgrimages every year on MY day....:p

Nobody wrote their songs then. And Elvis always had a huge hand in recording and the actual sound of his albums, which no one else did.

Also had one of the greatest voices ever.

Black people say he stole it all from then, but actually he was mostly rockabilly. Name me a black rock-a-billy artist.

He was dancin like he could, about as soon as he could walk.
    I would say he was the first to stick his flag into the ground and claim the throne.

Stole it all from the blacks? I have heard that forever, and used to just agree, but then I actually picked up an Elvis cd. I was expecting alotta Chuck Berry type stuff, but there are so many styles. Basically covers every pop musical genre of today.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Nobody wrote their songs then. And Elvis always had a huge hand in recording and the actual sound of his albums, which no one else did.

Also had one of the greatest voices ever.

Black people say he stole it all from then, but actually he was mostly rockabilly. Name me a black rock-a-billy artist.

He was dancin like he could, about as soon as he could walk.
    I would say he was the first to stick his flag into the ground and claim the throne.

Stole it all from the blacks? I have heard that forever, and used to just agree, but then I actually picked up an Elvis cd. I was expecting alotta Chuck Berry type stuff, but there are so many styles. Basically covers every pop musical genre of today.
    I'm not gonna argue about his influences.... I don't know much about the black music of the day.
    But what do you mean "nobody wrote their songs then"? My dig was that he he didn't write his own music, so in my mind he's not much different than the pre-packaged radio stuff of today....sure, they say he was involved in the studio....but I don't think it's that big an artistic talent to say, "more treble" or cowbell or whatever when youre listening to someone elses songs....and I find his voice kinda annoying....almost a parody of himself...but that's personal taste, people say that stuff about good singers all the time....carry on :)
    I'm not gonna argue about his influences.... I don't know much about the black music of the day.
    But what do you mean "nobody wrote their songs then"? My dig was that he he didn't write his own music, so in my mind he's not much different than the pre-packaged radio stuff of today....sure, they say he was involved in the studio....but I don't think it's that big an artistic talent to say, "more treble" or cowbell or whatever when youre listening to someone elses songs....and I find his voice kinda annoying....almost a parody of himself...but that's personal taste, people say that stuff about good singers all the time....carry on :)

I am sure there were tons of artists that wrote their own songs. Mainstream artists of the day depended on songwriters. It was that way pretty well til the Beatles.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I am sure there were tons of artists that wrote their own songs. Mainstream artists of the day depended on songwriters. It was that way pretty well til the Beatles.

meh...I think most mainstream 'artists' today still depend on songwriters, don't they? That was kinda my point....but whatever, I have no problem with a good performer...as long as they're not called "artists" ;) ah, semantics
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    he loved hi's momma ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Elvis Presley Blues

I was thinking that night about Elvis
    The day that he died
    Day that he died

The day that he died
    Day that he died

Just a country boy
    That combed his hair
    And he put on a shirt his Mama made and he went on the air

And he shook it like a chorus girl
    And he shook it like a Harlem queen
    And he shook it like a midnight rambler Baby
    Like you never seen
    Never seen

The day that he died
    Day that he died
    How he took it all out of black and white
    Grabbed his wand in the other hand and he held on tight

And he shook it like a hurricane
    He shook it like to make it break
    And he shook it like a Holy Roller Baby
    With his soul at stake
    His soul at stake

The day that he died
    Day that he died
    He was alone on a long decline
    Thinkin’ how happy John Henry was that he fell down and died

When he shook it and it rang like silver
    He shook it and it shined like gold
    He shook it and he beat that steam drill Baby
    Well bless my soul
    Bless my soul

The day that he died
    I love to turn you on
    meh...I think most mainstream 'artists' today still depend on songwriters, don't they? That was kinda my point....but whatever, I have no problem with a good performer...as long as they're not called "artists" ;) ah, semantics

Well the poppy pop stuff, but Pearl Jam, Tool, RHCP and other bands like them are pop bands and they write their own music.

It was a different time for music, back then, so you really can't hold the fact that Elvis didnt write his own tunes against him. That's what I am trying to say. There were a few that could write and perform, Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens, but I am sure they played tons of standards too.

I just heard on the radio that the Elvis estate made 50 million bones this year, and most of his fans from way back when have croaked or changed musical tastes at the least, and Elvis records still fly off the shelf.

I would say he is the King.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Well the poppy pop stuff, but Pearl Jam, Tool, RHCP and other bands like them are pop bands and they write their own music.

It was a different time for music, back then, so you really can't hold the fact that Elvis didnt write his own tunes against him. That's what I am trying to say. There were a few that could write and perform, Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens, but I am sure they played tons of standards too.

I just heard on the radio that the Elvis estate made 50 million bones this year, and most of his fans from way back when have croaked or changed musical tastes at the least, and Elvis records still fly off the shelf.

I would say he is the King.
    The poppy pop stuff? lol...
    ok you win :D I guess I've just never seen what the big deal is...same as i don't get the popularity of many bands/artists/performers...

and ya...no one can sell a set of limited edition collector plates like Elvis :)
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Elvis.... I loved Elvis as a child. We had to take my younger brother to a doctor in Memphis - probably late 60's or early 70's - and I had this fantasy that we would run into Elvis and he would give us a new car. I wasn't anywhere close to driving age so I'm not sure why or how I came up with that. Anyway, Dad wouldn't drive by Graceland and I didn't see Elvis.

My husband and I still visit Memphis regularly and will be there in early December. I still haven't visited Graceland or even driven by. Maybe we should do that. My husband will not be thrilled, but I may have to put the full court press on him. If we do go, I will undoubtedly have to buy a cheesy Elvis trinket. You can't walk into any store, mall, grocery, liquor store, etc. in Memphis without seeing an Elvis trinket of some sort.

Another clear Elvis memory is my very first day at college when my room-mate and I pulled up to the dormitory to move in. Right before Beverly turned off the key (and the radio) we heard that Elvis had died! We were shocked!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I was just listening to blue suede shoes and thinking I gots to get me a pair
    :D
    PS ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSII Eddiemonton, how dare you slag the king! Next time I see you I am gonna slap you upside the head with a fools gold sammich........btw a fools gold sammich is something Elvis used to make his personal cook make for him on a daily basis. It was something like this:
    A whole french loaf cut in two and slathered in butter. In between was placed a pound of bacon, sliced bannanas and Peanut Butter...this concotion was then fried to a golden brown hue.

edit: it has been my dream to visit graceland and sometime day I will....I almost have my fiancee convinced that we should go to vegas and get married by elvis in the original church chapel
    >>>>
    >

• If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?

• that was awesome....thanks for posting!
    :)
    >>>>
    >

• I love how at the end of that clip he flipped his guitar and did his classic karate pose.
    No one does that or probably could even do that with the grace and style that the King could....maybe eddie could but it be better to see him do it with a bottle of wine.
    :D
    >>>>
    >