Buena Vista Social Club

Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Really like their double album, listening to it right now for the millionth time. Gentleman, ladies love this stuff so go buy it.
:)
>>>>
>
...a lover and a fighter.
"I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    What double album do you speak of?
  • I dont know what I was talking about, sorry. Just meant their original album, I always think it is a double one because of the size of the CD book that came with the album..making it look bigger
    Lo Siento
    >>>>
    >

• SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I dig it also. Have you heard the Afro-Cuban Allstars album? It is really good.

The solo disc from Cachaito Lopez is amazing. Psychadelic Cuban music--if you can imagine such a thing!
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Man, if it was possible to wear out a CD, that would be the one! It would finally melt from the laser, then I'd go get it again!

I like everything that came out after, too. All their solo works were great.

I especially love Ruben Gonzales' CD. What a piano player!
    Also check out Omara Portundo's .

Another of my favorites is Mambo Sinuendo. A guitar CD with Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban. Cuban surf guitar music! :D

Ry Cooder is like the walking history of music. He found them and gathered them together just in time, to preserve that music. Did you check out the movie?

Ry has some other work he did that you might like,,, like Talking Timbuktu with Ali Farka Toure,,, and also ,, haha,, Let It Bleed. He taught Keith Richards the guitar tuning that gave him that sound!

Let's all go to Cuba!! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I like everything that came out after, too. All their solo works were great.

I especially love Ruben Gonzales' CD. What a piano player!
    Also check out Omara Portundo's .

Another of my favorites is Mambo Sinuendo. A guitar CD with Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban. Cuban surf guitar music! :D

Ry Cooder is like the walking history of music. He found them and gathered them together just in time, to preserve that music. Did you check out the movie?

Ry has some other work he did that you might like,,, like Talking Timbuktu with Ali Farka Toure,,, and also ,, haha,, Let It Bleed. He taught Keith Richards the guitar tuning that gave him that sound!

Let's all go to Cuba!! :cool:
    I listened to a bit of the solo stuff and I never really had a chance to see the movie, we were watching it a friends house a few years back and about 15 minutes after it started he had about 3 friends pop by so the movie wasnt finished. I have listened to a little of their solo stuff....mint. Ry Cooder is a living legend, that Keith Richards tid bit is awesome.
    I have always wanted to go to Cuba, pick a date and we can all meet there and drink nothing but Cuba Libres and play guitar on the beach
    >>>>
    >

• I listened to a bit of the solo stuff and I never really had a chance to see the movie, we were watching it a friends house a few years back and about 15 minutes after it started he had about 3 friends pop by so the movie wasnt finished. I have listened to a little of their solo stuff....mint. Ry Cooder is a living legend, that Keith Richards tid bit is awesome.
    I have always wanted to go to Cuba, pick a date and we can all meet there and drink nothing but Cuba Libres and play guitar on the beach

I think the date may be when GW isn't president! We're not allowed to go from the good old USA. :(
    I DID go a few years back. We have to sneak in from here. I got in once on a music permit, and once snuck in from Jamaica.
    That country just oooozes music. Havana is amazing because so many people have those old 40's and 50's cars. You feel like you stepped back into a Dick Tracy or a Humphrey Bogart movie!
    Be kind, man

Ali Farka Toure is awesome, in the truest sense of the word. He is great with Ry Cooder or not.

Have you heard the Cachaito album?
    Sleep on horseback
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Sathogwa wrote:
    Ali Farka Toure is awesome

He is incredible. Not many people know of him (at least in my circle!!!). Buena Vista Social Club.. love them!

What about Flaco Jimenez? Any love for him here?
  • I think the date may be when GW isn't president! We're not allowed to go from the good old USA. :(
    I DID go a few years back. We have to sneak in from here. I got in once on a music permit, and once snuck in from Jamaica.
    That country just oooozes music. Havana is amazing because so many people have those old 40's and 50's cars. You feel like you stepped back into a Dick Tracy or a Humphrey Bogart movie!

thats right, I forgot about that, Americans are not allowed to go there. Hopefully that changes sometimes soon. I've known about their old cars for a while, they're pretty neat. They have to fabricate a lot of their own parts and because they have trouble getting things like brake oil and transmission fluid...they brew their own. Awesome.
    Ok then, when you are allowed to go back, we will all plan a trip and meet on the beach for a week of guitar, Libres and good food and company....a Jammers meet up in Cuba.....
    >>>>
    >

• I have always wanted to go to Cuba, pick a date and we can all meet there and drink nothing but Cuba Libres and play guitar on the beach

*packs bag and checks # of available air miles*

I'm in :D
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    we will all plan a trip and meet on the beach for a week of guitar, Libres and good food and company....a Jammers meet up in Cuba.....

I have a french passport too.... I can go! I'm in! :D
  • Could you imagine how fun that would be? Seriously we should plan something for like in six months. I think that would small cool.
    :D
    Hell we could even check on poor old Fidel and see how his hip is doing.
    >>>>
    >

• SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    redrock wrote:
    He is incredible. Not many people know of him (at least in my circle!!!). Buena Vista Social Club.. love them!

What about Flaco Jimenez? Any love for him here?

Hell yeah, I love Flaco! I especially like his contributions to the first Los Super 7 CD.
    Sleep on horseback
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Sathogwa wrote:
    Ali Farka Toure is awesome, in the truest sense of the word. He is great with Ry Cooder or not.

Have you heard the Cachaito album?

I LOVE that album. He's one of the great bass players in the world. I saw his band open for David Byrne a few years back. A great match of bands. It was a hip shakin' dancing and foot tapping night.

Ali Farka Toure was one great musicians the world has ever seen. Not only because of his talent, but because he made a lot of money from it, and gave just about ALL of it back to his town. He truly respected the people who got him there and supported a lot of other musicians, too.

A couple of years ago, three of us went to Timbuktu. Youthinkyou'reold from this board, a woman, and I. Youthinkyoure old and I knew Ali Farka fairly well.
    Haha,, we rode across the desert for a couple of days on camels to go see him, got robbed by bandits in the absolute remotest place on Earth, finally arrived in his town and haha,,, he wasn't home!
    I wish I could find that thread, because we were posting here from Timbucktu and we never laughed so hard when we were. It was like, "We're posting on a PJ message board from Timbucktu?"

If you like Ali,, check out Kassi Kasse, too. A great from Mali, and also Tinawaren. Don't get me started on African music though,,, haha,, I guess I could hijack this whole thread!
    Be kind, man

I said we're not allowed to go there!

I didn't say I WOULDN'T go there! :D

hahas,, I'd go right now!!
    I think the best way to go is through Montego Bay Jamaica right now. You fly to Jamaica, then get a ticket to Cuba from the airport. They don't stamp your passport in the Cuba customs when you're from the US.
    You can't use a credit card in Cuba, you use cash. (People from the US, that is) No paper trail and you stay in people's extra rooms in private houses for a few bucks a night and meet wonderful local people.

I would go back in a second!! Jamainiac,, you're in too?
    Oh I KNOW you'd do it! :D
    Be kind, man

I didn't say I WOULDN'T go there! :D

hahas,, I'd go right now!!
    I think the best way to go is through Montego Bay Jamaica right now. You fly to Jamaica, then get a ticket to Cuba from the airport. They don't stamp your passport in the Cuba customs when you're from the US.
    You can't use a credit card in Cuba, you use cash. (People from the US, that is) No paper trail and you stay in people's extra rooms in private houses for a few bucks a night and meet wonderful local people.

I would go back in a second!! Jamainiac,, you're in too?
    Oh I KNOW you'd do it! :D

*shines up spiffy Canadian Passport*

I think that would be amazing!!!

and Cree...

'small cool'...

*squinches up face*

I'd call that tres grand cool :):)
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • jamainiac wrote:
    *shines up spiffy Canadian Passport*

I think that would be amazing!!!

and Cree...

'small cool'...

*squinches up face*

I'd call that tres grand cool :):)

Ok, you have me thinking here!
    Well, I'm off to India on Christmas day until the end of January. Hmmm,,,, gotta work though my busy time in early spring, but,,,,

oh man,,, :D
    Brush up on a little Spanish, too!

Por favor, quesiera tres Cuba Libres y un Mojito?

I think we should seriously think about this. Even if I CAN'T go, you should go before us USA'ers are allowed to, because we'll be like flies there! Everyone wants a piece of Cuba!
    Be kind, man
    I LOVE that album. He's one of the great bass players in the world. I saw his band open for David Byrne a few years back. A great match of bands. It was a hip shakin' dancing and foot tapping night.

Ali Farka Toure was one great musicians the world has ever seen. Not only because of his talent, but because he made a lot of money from it, and gave just about ALL of it back to his town. He truly respected the people who got him there and supported a lot of other musicians, too.

A couple of years ago, three of us went to Timbuktu. Youthinkyou'reold from this board, a woman, and I. Youthinkyoure old and I knew Ali Farka fairly well.
    Haha,, we rode across the desert for a couple of days on camels to go see him, got robbed by bandits in the absolute remotest place on Earth, finally arrived in his town and haha,,, he wasn't home!
    I wish I could find that thread, because we were posting here from Timbucktu and we never laughed so hard when we were. It was like, "We're posting on a PJ message board from Timbucktu?"

If you like Ali,, check out Kassi Kasse, too. A great from Mali, and also Tinawaren. Don't get me started on African music though,,, haha,, I guess I could hijack this whole thread!

I love Tinawaren. Actually that whole desert/Malian guitar thing is wonderful. Habib Koite is very chill and soulful also. I love his music.

Man, you should either write a book, or film a movie about that story! Good stuff.
    Sleep on horseback
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Ok, you have me thinking here!
    Well, I'm off to India on Christmas day until the end of January. Hmmm,,,, gotta work though my busy time in early spring, but,,,,

oh man,,, :D
    Brush up on a little Spanish, too!

Por favor, quesiera tres Cuba Libres y un Mojito?

I think we should seriously think about this. Even if I CAN'T go, you should go before us USA'ers are allowed to, because we'll be like flies there! Everyone wants a piece of Cuba!

I am so in, we should seriously think about this?
    Jams, you are right, tres cool indeed.
    >>>>
    >

• Sathogwa wrote:
    I love Tinawaren. Actually that whole desert/Malian guitar thing is wonderful. Habib Koite is very chill and soulful also. I love his music.

Man, you should either write a book, or film a movie about that story! Good stuff.

I AM writing about all the goofy stuff I've gotten into trouble with!
    I assume that if you know about Habib Koite, then you're familiar with King Sunny Ade, and maybe a guy that I played guitar on tour with for a while, Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey. THAT'S a crowded stage with him. We had 23 people plus crew.

I guess you know Talking Timbucktu with Ry and Ali.
    I have In the Heart of the Moon on now with Ali Farke and Toumani Diabete. Beautiful stuff.

Haha, sorry Cree, but then again, you should be hearing this stuff! I'll bring it to Cuba and we can listen on the beach! :D

I'm in! You gotta do this stuff, and I KNOW you two or whoever else are the type people who would do this! :D

Yes! Cuba!
    Be kind, man