Is having a 'Favorite Band' a thing for younger people?

Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Im 23, and yes, my favorite band is Pearl Jam. I dont hear older people throw that term around though, is that because it doesnt matter? At what age does it become irrelevant?
"The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am 30 and growing up my favorite bands were neil young and pearl jam. They are still the bands i love the most but i am less apt to consider a band my favorite.

I think when i was younger i was more closed minded about music. Now I love Jazz, progressive rock, metal, rock, blues, some old country it is much more all over the place.

so i don't know for me i think i have grown away from having a favorite band, but anytime pj and neil do anything i still get a little excited :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    For me the idea of a "favorite band" sort of got played out by the time I was on my 4th or 5th "favorite band". Now I would classify PJ as my favorite band I've been listening to for awhile, but I've also got new favorites that change yearly, and my current favorite changes on a weekly basis. I can say PJ is my longtime favorite, but to say they are my favorite today would be wrong.

Whenever you have to put this much thought into deciding a favorite, it's just easier to drop the term all together.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I think that music can be a huge factor in determining who you are, meeting people, and making friends. I think this is especially true during your teenage years as you are growing into the person that you become. Because of that, I think music can take on more importance for a teenager. I think that as you get older, more and more things start to define your personality, so maybe the importance of a favorite band is diminished. When I was 15, Pearl Jam being my favorite band seemed a lot more important to me than it does now at 25.
  • I think as you grow up and listen to more music, you just start to accept that there's far too much music that you love and cherish to pick one as a favourite. Picking a favourite band is like picking a favourite child - you think you've got it finally figured out, but then the Drive-By Truckers come along, and you forget all about the other child for a while.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    I think that music can be a huge factor in determining who you are, meeting people, and making friends. I think this is especially true during your teenage years as you are growing into the person that you become. Because of that, I think music can take on more importance for a teenager. I think that as you get older, more and more things start to define your personality, so maybe the importance of a favorite band is diminished. When I was 15, Pearl Jam being my favorite band seemed a lot more important to me than it does now at 25.

I find the opposite is true for me. When I was 15 I just listened to Pearl Jam more than any other band, now that im 23, I find I am much more involved with following the band in terms of news, this message board, touring- hell- I even went to Europe to follow them around for 8 shows. As I have gotten older, their presence in my life has increased. Maybe I should get some more hobbies.

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I find the opposite is true for me. When I was 15 I just listened to Pearl Jam more than any other band, now that im 23, I find I am much more involved with following the band in terms of news, this message board, touring- hell- I even went to Europe to follow them around for 8 shows. As I have gotten older, their presence in my life has increased. Maybe I should get some more hobbies.
    Maybe I wasn't clear because I was thinking along the lines of social interaction. Sure, I'm still very involved in terms of following the band, getting PJ news, and going to shows. However, when I meet someone, I don't immediately start talking about music in order to find a common ground or something to talk about. As a teenager, I would talk about music because being defined by an interest like that was more important to me then.

I don't know, maybe that was a better explanation? Interesting topic though...
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i managed a record store (stores actually) for about 5 years & have been exposed to a HUGE amount of music of different genres from all over the world. i had my suspicions at 16, but now i'm 30 & can confirm that pearl jam are in fact the greatest band on earth.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I compare having a "favorite band" to having a "best friend"

I've got multiple bests who I look to for different things so it's less important for me to state it as fact that they are my "best" friend. Deep down they know it but theres no need to bring it up.

That's what age has done to me
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i think markymark is on to something. in school if someone listens to backstreet boys they arent cut out to be hanging with the metallica fans. you kinda draw the line with who is cool and who isnt by the bands you like. but when youre looking for a job who your favorite band is really doesnt matter. its unlikely your co-workers wont sit with you or your boss not giving you a raise because your favorite band is dmb.
  • Hendrix will always have a special place in my heart no other musician can get to. That'll be the same when I'm ninety-three.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729

couldn't agree more. and couldn't have said it better. thank you.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Im 23, and yes, my favorite band is Pearl Jam. I dont hear older people throw that term around though, is that because it doesnt matter? At what age does it become irrelevant?

They're still are kids out there with favorite artists, but like us its usually those with more of an appreciation for good music.

Pearl Jam is like the clutch-hitter or Derek Jeter of music. They're who i turn to for consistent quality music.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I would still consider Pearl Jam my favorite band though I don't listen to them near as much as I used to. I am 26 and I agree with what others have said. My favorite band used to be a much bigger part of my life than it is now. Music is still very important to me but I guess different life experiences make your "favorite band" less important. I think i have a pretty broad range when it comes to music which is something I didn't have before. I think the reason I consider Pearl Jam my favorite band is b/c they are like my Old Faithful. Pearl Jam is what I have always turned to for comfort when I need to and I don't see that ever changing.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Much like the rest of you, my musical tastes have changed and broadened as I've gotten older, and I listen to all kinds of stuff from a wide variety of genres. But that doesn't mean you still can't have a favorite band or artist. For the past 19 years my favorite band has been The Tragically Hip, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. They're like a warm pair of slippers. You can always count on them to release brilliant albums every 2 years like clockwork and to tour like crazy for months on end. There are dozens of bands and artists I would call favorites, but for me there's no band on earth who could ever knock The Hip from their lofty perch atop my musical universe. That's just the way it is.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    when i was young i went by sscenes la seattle eetc
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I am 24, and I have two answers for that. One: most important band in my life: Nirvana. Most important band in history: Beatles.

For me, Nirvana most likely will always be the most important band ever to me. Their impact on me is unknowable.

I have favorite bands of the moment. Mine for a year and a half has been Arcade Fire.

I came of age during the grunge heydey. And clearly remember Kurt's death. Music was important to me back then.

But to be honest, music has never been as important to me, as it is to me right now.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    do you mind me asking, what allows you to travel to europe to see pearl jam and 8 shows?

if you do not want to disclose, i understand.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I do love all kinds of music, but I always have and always will have my favorites. Rock is my favorite. I am old so my favorites have changed over the years but not that much. Grew up on the Beatles, so they have stayed there obviously, and the Doors. But when PJ came around I was blown away. Loved them immediately. There you have it, my three favs. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Pearl Jam has been my favorite band for about 16 years now. To me it has become more so over the years then it was early on. I have others that I admire and get on "kicks" with, but there is no other that I would plan my savings and vacations around going to see play. I do not get on other message boards. I 'm not in any other fan clubs. I don't have any other band posters adorning my walls.

I may have a problem.

Haha :)
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    ajedigecko wrote:
    do you mind me asking, what allows you to travel to europe to see pearl jam and 8 shows?

if you do not want to disclose, i understand.

Do you mean financially? Well it was right before my college loans kicked in after graduating and I work for Hyatt hotels and was able to get free hotels in a few places. Best two weeks of my life.

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    When I was 15 Pearl Jam was my favorite band. Period. I listened to some other bands, but PJ was my identity. And I wanted people to know it.

At 25 I'd say that my general love of music is still a significant part of my identity. If you ask I will probably tell you my favorite band is Wilco, but the truth is that there is no one and only for me these days. As much as I love talking about my musical memories I'm just as enthusiastic about that fantastic band I just started listening to last week.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I tend to think the only reason why some people don't have favorite bands is because they aren't really captivated by anybody, although they like all kinds od bands/music. To get a little more on topic, as kids, we tend to idolize people. A lot of times, musicians. Adults don't do that so much, and i think thats probably another reason why.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Is having a 'Favorite Band' a thing for younger people?

No. I'm 24 and I have a top ten... :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I have a favorite band trifecta. Wilco, Ryan Adams, Destroyer. I call them the "big three''. No one agrees with me. But, they will always be my favorites.
    Cock Fight.
  • Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    No. I'm 24 and I have a top ten... :o

I hate to say this, but I am 41 and have a top ten...... :D
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I am 24, and I have two answers for that. One: most important band in my life: Nirvana. Most important band in history: Beatles.

For me, Nirvana most likely will always be the most important band ever to me. Their impact on me is unknowable.

I have favorite bands of the moment. Mine for a year and a half has been Arcade Fire.

I came of age during the grunge heydey. And clearly remember Kurt's death. Music was important to me back then.

But to be honest, music has never been as important to me, as it is to me right now.

I also use the term "favorite band of the moment" and it's always changing depending on what I'm hooked on at that time.

And music has always been important to me too. I sometimes think a lot of the people I know don't quite understand it.