Options

Msg Posters

ScottandPearlJamScottandPearlJam Posts: 1,126
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Do you think this happens with any other band? Can anyone confirm this? About merch being so hot they had to hand out wristbands. Do you think this is the first time MSG has seen anything like this?

Scott
10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
5/21/10 9/7/11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Do you think this happens with any other band? Can anyone confirm this? About merch being so hot they had to hand out wristbands. Do you think this is the first time MSG has seen anything like this?

Scott
    I asked the guy selling them and he told me that it's like this for DMB and PHISH. And since phish isn't around no more that makes only pj and dmb.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    they do it for Knicks jerseys I heard
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    thunderDAN wrote:
    they do it for Knicks jerseys I heard

I heard Shepard Fairey is doing the poster for the NBA Draft at the Garden tonight...

Keep it hushed...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    I asked the guy selling them and he told me that it's like this for DMB and PHISH. And since phish isn't around no more that makes only pj and dmb.

Not sure if DMB at MSG is somehow magically different from DMB in Toronto, but I can tell you DMB sells signed and numbered Methane prints for $25 (and gives you a fucking tube) and you could EASILY obtain one in Toronto by simply arriving before Dave takes the stage and waiting behind 3 people in line (not that I was actually at a DMB show, just have friends with unfortunate musical taste). And this was for a highly regarded DMB Methane print. I am not saying they didn't sell out nor am I saying they don't have a "flip" value, but people are definately not being mauled and crying outside the venue 3 hours before a fucking gig to get one.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    at the East Rutherford show in november...the print was in 3 different variations throughout the arena, all S/N, and all sold out by the time DMB took the stage.
    I snagged one, forget which color, but its in my EB Collection and framed
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    last time dave played in NJ i was able to still get the methane print halfway through his show
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    lluukkiinnlluukkiinn Posts: 93
    Oh man, that is insaine! I would panic if I didn't get a wrist band!
    denver 7/2/06 & 7/3/06, chicago 8/5/07
  • Options
    don't even get me started on the bullshit that went down @ MSG with the posters!! i wanna fucking choke someone!!

if you were there and got fucked as well then you know what i mean!!
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    This same bullshit happened at E. Rutherford #2 in '06 and it pissed me off so much it affected my enjoyment of the show. This time around I was able to get posters at VA Beach and DC, and planned to get one from each MSG show. I was infuriated when I arrived the first night right when the doors opened only to find out that they were selling them to anyone off the street and sold out over an hour ago.

For MSG 2, I was prepared. I got there at 4PM, picked up my tickets and was ready to stand in line. Then I saw how long the line was, and the clueless fucks who work for the venue couldn't even tell me when they would start selling wristbands. So I left. No way I'm wasting two hours of time in NYC to wait for a poster.
  • Options
    thebends9thebends9 Posts: 513
    The White Stripes prints are pretty hard to get at these venues as well. Usually a print run of 333; as Jack White is obsessed with the number 3.
    '98 - MSG 
    '00 - Jones Beach (x2)
    '03 - Nassau Coliseum/Tweeter Center/ MSG (x2)
    '04 - Reading, PA
    '05 - Wachovia Center
    '06 - Irving Plaza; Continental Airlines Arena (x2)
    '08 - MSG (x2); Beacon Theater
    '09 - Philly Spectrum (x2)
    '10 - XL Center; Prudential Center; MSG (x2)
    '11 - Alpine Valley (x2)
    '12 - Made In America
    '13 - Wrigley Field; DCU Center; Barclay Center (x2); Wells Fargo Center; XL Center
    '15 - Ed Sullivan Theater
    '16 - MSG (x2)
    '17 - Barclay Center (R&RHOF)
    '18 - Fenway Park
    '22 - MSG
  • Options
    The wristband thing at Camden was great. I like the posters, but I would not have been distraught had I not gotten one. The poster thing is like any secondary market - it would go away if people stopped buying them second hand. I know it would be difficult to do, but if people stopped buying them, they wouldn't sell for exhorbitant amounts.
    For Rent
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    posters last night=nightmare....
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    Barely AliveBarely Alive Posts: 1,271
    Yep, posters being sold at MSG were ala '03 in nature. Anybody off of street could roll in and buy.

The thing with MSG, unlike say Camden or most other venues, is that merch is not only sold in concourse beyond ticket scanners, but also in foyer, where you don't have to have your ticket scanned so that there is no "once you're in you're in" situation...as well as you dont need a ticket to get a poster unlike other venues. At other venues most fans want to stay out in parking lot and tailgate then do posters later right before show. At MSG, peopel are just at bars close by and dont have to get stuck inside until the band goes on if they dont want to, and can still get poster. This equals an earlier poster rush, and a bigger mob, and even bigger headache than normal.

Thanks to ThatGirl for being such a great poster wait-in-line buddy :)
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I was in the MSG II poster line from the beginning... it was awful, started as a line, then just kept bunching up more and more. Then, a dude came out with thousands of bracelts and started handing them out to people in the middle of the line...
    Everyone scrambled, I saw a homeless dude walk away with at least 500 bracelets, I was in the line so I didn't see them selling them, but I did find people who paid $5 for a useless bracelet out front.
    I was at the front of the line trying to hand the bracelets out, but it was AWFUL!

Hey 10C, wanna hire me to sell posters to 10C ticket holders when the go to pick up their tix?
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    pjtaper wrote:
    I was in the MSG II poster line from the beginning... it was awful, started as a line, then just kept bunching up more and more. Then, a dude came out with thousands of bracelts and started handing them out to people in the middle of the line...
    Everyone scrambled, I saw a homeless dude walk away with at least 500 bracelets, I was in the line so I didn't see them selling them, but I did find people who paid $5 for a useless bracelet out front.
    I was at the front of the line trying to hand the bracelets out, but it was AWFUL!

Hey 10C, wanna hire me to sell posters to 10C ticket holders when the go to pick up their tix?
    so, I'm assuming that you got a poster?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    yeah, but it was hell... I almost gave up many many times, but I went up to the merch booth and saw the print, then got my ass back in line...
    It was a royal pain in the ass... something must be done.

I will no longer talk about MSG posters... those shows were some of the best I have seen, the floor shaking made me stop bouncing because I had to feel it!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    pjtaper wrote:
    yeah, but it was hell... I almost gave up many many times, but I went up to the merch booth and saw the print, then got my ass back in line...
    It was a royal pain in the ass... something must be done.

I will no longer talk about MSG posters... those shows were some of the best I have seen, the floor shaking made me stop bouncing because I had to feel it!
    very cool- glad to hear that a true fan got one.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1