Spanish Music

signaltonoisesignaltonoise Posts: 241
edited July 2006 in Other Music
can anyone recommend me some good spanish music?? but not like mainstream pop or stuff like ricky martin or las ketchup please!
I like the soundtrack from buena vista social club, but for the time being that's not what i'm looking for either... i've got this one song "entre dos tierras" by los heroes del silencio- wondering if there are some other tunes of this band worth a listen??
finally, does anyone know a band/artist that sound similar to Jarabe De Palo?? I really got into them recently, but this is like the only spanish band i actually know a bit better...
Per sognare altri mondi non è mai troppo tardi
Another world is possible
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Señor BoSeñor Bo Posts: 68
    I'm not a really big fan of those bands, so I couldn't recommend you more tunes by them. If you really want to get into Spanish spoken rock you should try these bands:

Cafe Tacuba

La Maldita Vecindad y los Hijos del Quinto Patio

Plastilina Mosh

Zurdok

Los Tres
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Señor Bo wrote:
    I'm not a really big fan of those bands, so I couldn't recommend you more tunes by them. If you really want to get into Spanish spoken rock you should try these bands:

Cafe Tacuba

La Maldita Vecindad y los Hijos del Quinto Patio

Plastilina Mosh

Zurdok

Los Tres

allright, thanks! i'll try to check them out soon!
    Per sognare altri mondi non è mai troppo tardi
    Another world is possible
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    check out the guitarist Paco De Lucia because, frankly, he owns every other guitarist on earth and he doesn't use a pick. To see him rival John Mclaughlin using his fingers is unreal.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Blue27Blue27 Posts: 42
    Although I've heard of Heroes del Silencio and Jarabe de Palo, I'm not familiar with them, so I can't recommend similar stuff. I think the previous suggestions were good, particularly Cafe Tacuba, and I'd also definitely add Molotov to that.

My personal favorite Spanish-language rock artist is Robi Rosa (aka Robi Draco Cornelius Rosa). He's done some pop stuff in the past, and he's written many songs for other artists that were much more mainstream. But don't be fooled by that. His own work is much stronger and harder edged. His album "Vagabundo" is absolutely genius! You really should give that one a listen. He's really good at incorporating a latin sound into hard rock music. And his shows are awesome if you ever get a chance to catch him live.
    11/6+7/95 SD Sports-9/16/96 SEA Key-7/10/98 SD Cox-7/13+14/98 LA Forum-10/24/00 LA Greek-10/25/00 SD Sports-10/28/00 DEV Glen Helen-6/2+3/03 IRV Meadows-6/5/03 SD Sports-6/6/03 LV MGM-7/8+9/03 NYC MSG-9/1/05 GEO Gorge-7/6/06 LV MGM-7/7/06 SD Cox-7/9+10/06 LA Forum-7/12/06 LA Fonda-7/13/06 SB Bowl-7/12/08 LA Pauley Pav-6/1/09 LA Universal-9+10/30+1+6+7/09 LA Gibson-10/9/09 SD Viejas-11/21/13 SD Viejas-11/23+24/13 LA Sports-11/26/13 OAK Oracle
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Great Cuban stuff ---> Azuquita y los Jubilados (Artist) - Cuba Son (Album)
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    molotov is great...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Los Lobos have a few spanish only songs (one album, La Pistola Y El Corazon, is entirely spanish), probably more of a Mexican feel than spanish though.

Os Mutantes were a very good psychedelic Brazillian band in the 60's. Their 'best of' disc - Everything is Possible!!! has some great tracks, a mix of psychedelia and bossa nova.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • yerreyyerrey Posts: 183
    cafe tacuba is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
    while all their studio albums -self-titled, re, avalancha de exitos, yo soy/reves, and cuatro caminos- are great, but their mtv unplugged is absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!!! i think that's a good intro to their music!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I hear Manu Chao is good. Never heard it myself, but it has been recommended.
    NERDS!
  • I could! Son de Madera is really really good. I just heard 'em a couple of hours ago at a free concert they played. They're amazing! Check out Quetzal. It's genre is called "Jarocho". Good stuff.
    7/10/06
    Blue27 wrote:
    Although I've heard of Heroes del Silencio and Jarabe de Palo, I'm not familiar with them, so I can't recommend similar stuff. I think the previous suggestions were good, particularly Cafe Tacuba, and I'd also definitely add Molotov to that.

My personal favorite Spanish-language rock artist is Robi Rosa (aka Robi Draco Cornelius Rosa). He's done some pop stuff in the past, and he's written many songs for other artists that were much more mainstream. But don't be fooled by that. His own work is much stronger and harder edged. His album "Vagabundo" is absolutely genius! You really should give that one a listen. He's really good at incorporating a latin sound into hard rock music. And his shows are awesome if you ever get a chance to catch him live.

Heard good things about him, but, and it's a big one, I've just never been able to take him seriously since he was in Menudo and he had a hand in that horrible Thong Song a few years back...
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    Heroes del Silencio "Greatest Hits" is very cool
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Blue27Blue27 Posts: 42
    Se&#241 wrote: »
    Heard good things about him, but, and it's a big one, I've just never been able to take him seriously since he was in Menudo and he had a hand in that horrible Thong Song a few years back...

As far as the Menudo thing, he was a kid when he did that (13-14 years old). We all have silly things we liked as children, then we grow up and realize how cheesy it all was. You can't really hold that against someone, especially not over 20 years later. There wasn't a kid in Latin American who did not want to be in Menudo. At that time, it was quite coveted being in that group, quite an achievement. It was really the one major outlet they could use to break into music.

He's actually the one member of Menudo who left way before he was supposed to because he didn't like being a puppet, and it would piss him off that he had no creative control and wasn't allowed to write his own songs. He quickly realized what a joke it all was and left to form his own band and do his own thing. He wasn't too successful at first and wrecked his life for awhile - he was heavily into drugs, a total mess. His music and wife saved him personally, while making money by writing/producing for other artists saved him financially.

That's around when he recorded "Vagabundo" which is just magnificent. Like I said, the music he does for himself is nothing like the music he has done for others. And I think he's a much better songwriter in Spanish than in English. I'm not going to defend the "Thong Song" for anything - I can't fucking stand that thing! But he did not write the song, they simply used his lyrics from another song, so he got a credit. Other stuff he has done for Latin artists in various genres is really good for that particular style of music. That's what I think is one of the awesome things about him. He's really good at changing things up depending on what/who the song is for and still turn out a great tune. The stuff he writes for himself is very different, much more personal, very poetic and dark. He is a genuine, authentic artist trying to produce the best music he can. He's certainly the only former Menudo member who has taken his musical career very seriously.

You may or may not like it regardless. But giving something a listen and then deciding never hurt anyone.... :)
    11/6+7/95 SD Sports-9/16/96 SEA Key-7/10/98 SD Cox-7/13+14/98 LA Forum-10/24/00 LA Greek-10/25/00 SD Sports-10/28/00 DEV Glen Helen-6/2+3/03 IRV Meadows-6/5/03 SD Sports-6/6/03 LV MGM-7/8+9/03 NYC MSG-9/1/05 GEO Gorge-7/6/06 LV MGM-7/7/06 SD Cox-7/9+10/06 LA Forum-7/12/06 LA Fonda-7/13/06 SB Bowl-7/12/08 LA Pauley Pav-6/1/09 LA Universal-9+10/30+1+6+7/09 LA Gibson-10/9/09 SD Viejas-11/21/13 SD Viejas-11/23+24/13 LA Sports-11/26/13 OAK Oracle
    I've heard most of his records, a good friend of mine is a huge fan. I've even seen him live once. Just not a fan, I always get that feeling that everything is a little "phony". I'm saying phony for lack of a better term, but those bands or artists that aren't full blown pousers (i.e. Avril Lavigne) but there's a little posturing in there. I don't know, I guess I just like my music another way. Not to take anything away from him.

PS.- There was at least one kid in Latin America who didn't want to be in Menudo. The first album I ever bought was "Killers" by Iron Maiden. No Menudo day dreaming for me, hehe.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I heard an album by Cafe Tacuba and wasnt impressed at all, you dneed to have a taster before taking such a risk...........growing up my mum&dad would play the Gypsy Kings and now I have an affinity for such sounds.
    Not strictly spanish but the City of God soundtrack has some great songs on it.............. and what about a little Shakira(!??*!), Columbian but thats still Spanish-y and she is........
  • From Spain: Heroes del Silencio, Pereza, Platero y tú, Los piratas, M-Clan.....
    From Argentina Los rodriguez Los piojos
    From Mexico: Café tacuba