It's a dark day for Mars Volta fans...

bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
edited July 2006 in Other Music
No more Jon Theodore. I think i just died inside.

http://www.nastylittleman.com/Clients/marsvolta/marsvolta.html
The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    judgeing by the demos that were leaked the drumming sounds pretty damn good to me!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    bharQ wrote:
    judgeing by the demos that were leaked the drumming sounds pretty damn good to me!

That wasnt demos...it was the album, Amputechture, and Jon Theodore plays on it.

This hard for me. I am a huge Volta fan and LOVE Jon Theodore's drumming. Alas, the new guy they got for the tour...not sure if this is peremanent yet...is the drummer on the original Mars Volta demos from before the EP.
    That wasnt demos...it was the album, Amputechture, and Jon Theodore plays on it.

how do you know?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    bharQ wrote:
    how do you know?

I also frequent the Mars Volta's primary forum, "The Comatorium," and everyone is of course going apeshit over this. The administrator, who is very close to the band, has confirmed that Jon is the drummer on Amputechture. But Blake Fleming will be playing on the upcoming tour. And yes, this is permanent. Read the "Jon's departure" thread at http://www.thecomatorium.com if you want to whole scoop. I don't care how good Blake is, TMV will never be the same. I am in mourning.
    bucket1988 wrote:
    I also frequent the Mars Volta's primary forum, "The Comatorium," and everyone is of course going apeshit over this. The administrator, who is very close to the band, has confirmed that Jon is the drummer on Amputechture. But Blake Fleming will be playing on the upcoming tour. And yes, this is permanent. Read the "Jon's departure" thread at http://www.thecomatorium.com if you want to whole scoop. I don't care how good Blake is, TMV will never be the same. I am in mourning.

I meant the other part.. how do you know that the album is in fact what will be on the retail album coming out in a few weeks?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    I meant the other part.. how do you know that the album is in fact what will be on the retail album coming out in a few weeks?

Beacause why would TMV fake an entire 76 minutes of music? Of course it is the album...it was leaked! When PJ's album leaked, no one speculated that it was just demos.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Blake Fleming is no sloppy seconds drummer to Jon Theodore. By virtue of the fact that he was the drummer on the early Volta demo's, some might even look at him as the original drummer.

No disrespect is due either drummer IMHO. They're both sick as can be. :). That would be like hating on Matt Cameron for replacing Jack Irons...who replaced Dave Krusen...who replaced Dave Abbruzzese...who replaced Ghengis Khan...who replaced John the Baptist... :p

For real, this won't suck. I'll miss Jon's playing, but Blake doesn't suck.
  • bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    enharmonic wrote:
    Blake Fleming is no sloppy seconds drummer to Jon Theodore. By virtue of the fact that he was the drummer on the early Volta demo's, some might even look at him as the original drummer.

No disrespect is due either drummer IMHO. They're both sick as can be. :). That would be like hating on Matt Cameron for replacing Jack Irons...who replaced Dave Krusen...who replaced Dave Abbruzzese...who replaced Ghengis Khan...who replaced John the Baptist... :p

For real, this won't suck. I'll miss Jon's playing, but Blake doesn't suck.

You got Abbruzzese and Krusen switched around. But anyway, I am not hating on Blake Fleming. I actually kinda feel sorry for the guy, because all the TMV fans, consciously or subconsciously, will be seeing him as "NOT Jon Theodore" rather than as "Blake Fleming." I am reserving most of my hate right now for Cedric and Omar, who obviously pushed Jon around to the point where he felt compelled to quit one of the greatest bands in the world. At least I still have yet to enjoy Jon's final, glorious 76 minutes though... (as I have not heard the Amputechture leaks)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Man, I love Knoxville TN. some of the prettiest women in America are hiding in your beautiful state. :)
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    This is very sad news! I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass it probably is to work with Omar and Cedric.

About the leaked version being what will be released: I think that it will be by and large the same thing. One thing I did notice though is that they changed Viscera Eyes from the leaked version compared to the version that they streamed on their myspace page. The leaked version is much better IMO so I'm hoping this might just be a single "radio-friendly" version, and that they will stick with the extended jam on the album.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
    This is very sad news! I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass it probably is to work with Omar and Cedric.

About the leaked version being what will be released: I think that it will be by and large the same thing. One thing I did notice though is that they changed Viscera Eyes from the leaked version compared to the version that they streamed on their myspace page. The leaked version is much better IMO so I'm hoping this might just be a single "radio-friendly" version, and that they will stick with the extended jam on the album.

The Viscera Eyes on myspace IS just a radio edit.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That is disapointing. Jon Theodore is agreat drummer.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    The Viscera Eyes on myspace IS just a radio edit.

I stopped listening to the leaked version.. gonna wait for retail.. I just dont trust it
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • NotMikeNotMike Posts: 27
    It's a dark day indeed, Jon was a madman.

I haven't really heard anything from this new/old drumer, is he very good as well?
    "I think I'm cool." - Stone Gossard.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Jon was good, but the band will survive without him. I don't buy Mars Volta records for the drumming.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?