Options

Pearl Jam and The Fauves

pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Does any one here know of The Fauves?

I was listening to the new PJ cd and realised that a part of one of their songs (I think it was Marker In The Sand, starting from about 30 seconds into it) sounds exactly like The Fauves song "I Wrote You A Power Ballad". I doubt Pearl Jam has ever hear of this band but it is amazing how much certain parts of these songs sound exactly alike!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    redsdiseaseredsdisease Posts: 147
    Can you give us a link, that's strange.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • Options
    Can you give us a link, that's strange.

I wish I could. I searched for it but couldn't find a version you can listen to. I only know it because I have the song on tape from long ago. It's a shame because as soon as anyone hears it they would hear the likeness immediately. I was just hoping a few people here may have heard of the fauves already. If anyone can find a link please share.

here's the bands web site... http://www.thefauves.com/ Their song was from 1996
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    why do you say you doubt pearl jam have heard of the fauves. they cover hunters and collectors for christ sake.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    why do you say you doubt pearl jam have heard of the fauves. they cover hunters and collectors for christ sake.

Because few people I know of have heard of the fauves. Do you know the song I am talking about? As for Hunters and Collectors, I don't know anyone who wouldn't have heard of them at some stage. I would not put the fauves on the same level of 'famousness' as hunters and collectors, therefore they are less likely to be known, especially outside of australia. Also I think that if pearl jam listened to the fauves they probably wouldn't have made a song that sounds so similar in parts.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    familiarity between songs from different bands isn't so odd an occurence. but i get your point that it could be considered "strange" when one of the songs comes from a band many people would not have heard of.
    i don't know it works with musicians because i don't write music, but i do that often a turn of phrase or the way a writer composes their work does get "copied". i've had to scrap work i've written because i've inadvertantly ripped someone off. a lot of the time it is subconscious and wouldn't even be noticed until it is pointed out. sometimes it's as simple as the two parties having a common inspiration.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say