The Who's "Quadrophenia"

willtupperwilltupper Posts: 70
edited May 2007 in Other Music
If someone asked me what the face of God might look like (and why anyone would do that is anyone's guess), I imagine what would happen is I'd think for just a bit, try to look all brainy-brain about it. Maybe cast my eyes to the sky like I might actually see the face of God up there, before turning back to my questioner.

What I'd tell them is I imagine that the face of God looks like the Pacific Ocean.

Bear with me.

The Pacific Ocean, when you're cruising down the PCH with one of your best friend's from high school. Her family's just moved out there, and you're all of 17 and it's Spring Break and you've kept in touch, writing letters back and forth practically every day since she's been gone.

You think you love her, but you think a lot of things at 17.

It's your first time alone, first time away from your Mom and your home all by yourself, and you're headed to a place that's just like they say. It's where dreams are made, if you know which cards to play.

And she'll be a year younger than you, so she can't drive yet (not in California, anyway). So her Mom will be driving the two of you to wherever you're headed (I want to say the airport), to wherever you're going (their new home).

You'll be on a turn, a curve in the road. It'll be a slow incline, with houses to your right that just look Californian. I know there's a word for it, but at the moment I can't think of what it is.

The sun's so far off in the distance, and you know you're high up. You're not sure how high, or how much higher the road may go, but all you know for sure is: you are really, really high up.

And that's when it happens.

The road will curve, and the sun that's been beating down on you will amplify and magnify a million times over. As you look out the window and see the longest, deepest, biggest streak of deep blue that just seems to go on forever and ever. Until it hits the horizon, right where the sun sits.

You'll do everything in your power not to cry. I mean, at 17 and sitting next to a girl you're pretty sure you love and haven't seen for a few months, come on.

It wasn't the time to be Mr. Sensitive.

But if someone were to ask, what I thought the face of God looked like, that's the story I'd tell. How I felt so safe, so insignificant and yet at the same time so very important. That, in the whole scope of the world, it didn't matter that I was here. Still doesn't. Never will.

And yet, the fact I got to see that level of natural beauty... that meant everything.

It was such a great week.

And it wasn't that day, but maybe it was the day after, or probably the day after that. We stopped at a music store, and I bought Quadrophenia. In my opinion, one of the greatest pieces of recorded music of all time.

I'm listening to it now, at 1:30 in the dark Michigan morning, and all these memories just come rushing back to me.

That's why I like it.

Or at least, one of the reasons.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Quadrophenia will always have a place in my heart. my dad raised me on the Who and Neil Young so when i got into Pearl Jam at the age of 13 it seemed like the planets aligned. anyway, Quadrophenia was one of those records that got me through high school and my teenage years. i have a stepdaughter who's 10 right now and i'm just waiting to get this record for her for Christmas sometime soon.

i got to see the Who play this in its entirety back in ... when was that? 96? 97? amazing show.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I just love the song 'I'm One'. Maybe it's because Eddie Vedder sang it with The Who at The Royal Albert Hall gig.

The Who are just pure class.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Fuckin' superb. My second favourite Who album after Who's Next.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    My Quadrophenia vinyl is one of my most treasured ones... The whole thing is just so awesome... And when 'Love Reign O'er Me' finally comes on... :)
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."