Wow, Ani Difranco Is Good!

willtupperwilltupper Posts: 70
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Not listened to hear in awhile, but if you've got the time (and the good style), she's got her Carnegie Hall show streaming on the Righteous Babe homepage for FREE FREE FREE!

Yes, Really! And, man. Is it GOOD.

http://www.righteousbabe.com/ani/bootleg/carnegie/quicktime.asp

If you ever get a chance to see her live, please do so. Listening to her, now, just brings back all these amazing memories.

I walked by her, once, in Ann Arbor, years and years ago. She was just getting off her tour bus for the show that evening. I wanted to say something (Thank you, Marry me? Etc). But, alas.

Too chicken.

Then we were at another show... don't remember where (some music hall). And it was right after she started dating her sound guy. And she played a song for him, while there were these, just, MILITANT LESBIANS (bless them) sitting all around me. I was a guy! At an Ani Difranco show.

ALONE.

And so she started this song, from her record "Little Plastic Castle" which wasn't out yet... and, just listening to it, you KNEW what she was talking about. You know? "Holding the warmest, softest part of you in my hands..."

She was talking about COCK!

And these ladies, who had just had their lighters out and were all swaying along during the last song... everyone of them just sat down. And they were SURROUND ME. Who was still standing.

And they just stared at me. Daggers and lasers, they stared at me.

And me... me was suddenly very, very afraid!

Needless to say, I sat the hell down! :)

Then... it might have been the last show of hers I went to, I was doing some freelance writing, and I managed to land an interview with her opening act. A wonderful cat named Sekou Sundiata, he'd taught Ani (and musician Mike Doughty, formerly of Soul Coughing) at the New School in New York City.

And his music is pure jazz. Poetry smoke blown out over the ghost of blues soul, you know? The man is so cool he's hot.

SO! So, so, so. I got to go backstage, and we chewed the fat for maybe an hour and a half.

Then we were walking around, after, before the show... and Ani was just kind of right there.

Again, I said NOTHING to her :(.

But later? Later, after Sekou's set was over? He came out to where me and my girl were sitting watching Ani, stood with us, and just grooved out for the rest of the show. I felt so cool. Like, "Yeah, I KNOW him." I was such a dork.

But a great, great night.

Go, listen to her! This concert is so good. I feel better... just about music, about life in general... just listening to this. And remembering.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    "for me to poop on!!!" I'm just kidding! :)
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • willtupper wrote:
    Not listened to hear in awhile, but if you've got the time (and the good style), she's got her Carnegie Hall show streaming on the Righteous Babe homepage for FREE FREE FREE!

Yes, Really! And, man. Is it GOOD.

http://www.righteousbabe.com/ani/bootleg/carnegie/quicktime.asp

If you ever get a chance to see her live, please do so. Listening to her, now, just brings back all these amazing memories.

I walked by her, once, in Ann Arbor, years and years ago. She was just getting off her tour bus for the show that evening. I wanted to say something (Thank you, Marry me? Etc). But, alas.

Too chicken.

Then we were at another show... don't remember where (some music hall). And it was right after she started dating her sound guy. And she played a song for him, while there were these, just, MILITANT LESBIANS (bless them) sitting all around me. I was a guy! At an Ani Difranco show.

ALONE.

And so she started this song, from her record "Little Plastic Castle" which wasn't out yet... and, just listening to it, you KNEW what she was talking about. You know? "Holding the warmest, softest part of you in my hands..."

She was talking about COCK!

And these ladies, who had just had their lighters out and were all swaying along during the last song... everyone of them just sat down. And they were SURROUND ME. Who was still standing.

And they just stared at me. Daggers and lasers, they stared at me.

And me... me was suddenly very, very afraid!

Needless to say, I sat the hell down! :)

Then... it might have been the last show of hers I went to, I was doing some freelance writing, and I managed to land an interview with her opening act. A wonderful cat named Sekou Sundiata, he'd taught Ani (and musician Mike Doughty, formerly of Soul Coughing) at the New School in New York City.

And his music is pure jazz. Poetry smoke blown out over the ghost of blues soul, you know? The man is so cool he's hot.

SO! So, so, so. I got to go backstage, and we chewed the fat for maybe an hour and a half.

Then we were walking around, after, before the show... and Ani was just kind of right there.

Again, I said NOTHING to her :(.

But later? Later, after Sekou's set was over? He came out to where me and my girl were sitting watching Ani, stood with us, and just grooved out for the rest of the show. I felt so cool. Like, "Yeah, I KNOW him." I was such a dork.

But a great, great night.

Go, listen to her! This concert is so good. I feel better... just about music, about life in general... just listening to this. And remembering.

cool story, i've always appreciated her voice, but only recently have delved more into her music. its very beautiful and seems to be without boundry. thanks for the link i'll be checking it out.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Thanks for the link! I'm listening right now....

I don't know a ton about Ani... the only album i have of hers is "Like I Said"... It's an old one that has one of my favorite songs on it... Both Hands.

I discovered the song when I was on a canoe trip in high school... one of the other girls on the trip was an Ani fan, but the rest of us had never heard of her.... around the campfire one night, she taught us to sing Both Hands... we sang it a million times over the course of the week.... yet none of us had ever actually heard the song!! :)

A few weeks later, my sister bought me Like I Said...

It was crazy and cool to be able to sing along with a song that you're hearing for the first time! :cool: :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've only heard two songs, Sorry I am and Not a pretty girl, but Sorry I Am is one of the most played tracks on my iPod. I love it. Her guitar playing and her voice are beautiful.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Man, wtf was she on?
  • An ex got me into her she's pretty cool alright!
  • She is definately one of my favourites.