My Bloody Valentine

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
edited December 2006 in Other Music
People dont realize that this band was out 5 years BEFORE the Smashing Pumpkins
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haha. true. billy corgan ripped off their guitar sound. but i still like billy corgan's songs more
  • !!!!!! Posts: 28
    MBV was one of the best bands to come out in the 80's. Kevin Sheilds was the man behind the whole band. IMHO, they are way way way better than Smashing Pumpkins.
    :)
    SIGNATURE :)
  • MBV were EXTREMELY groundbreaking, but Billy Corgan is a fucking genious.

i love MBV,.. but they (as most everything else) pale in comparison to Smashing Pumpkins.

they both like to use the mighty Fender Blender :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Nor do people realize they had a lot more material out before Loveless. Not as groundbreaking, but still.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • !!!!!! Posts: 28
    Try 'Isnt Anything"...I love it more than 'Loveless'.

SIGNATURE :)
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    kevin sheilds did a bunch of solo stuff on sofia coppola's lost in translation soundtrack. definitely worth checking out.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • !!! wrote:
    Try 'Isnt Anything"...I love it more than 'Loveless'.

is it different? this is one of those i keep seeing in the record store but can't bring myself to buy.

let me know what ya think.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • People dont realize that this band was out 5 years BEFORE the Smashing Pumpkins

Billy wrote great songs. MBV gets all the credit they deserve guitar soundwise. IMHO they never really wrote any "hits" which is why the general public doesn't have knowledge of them.
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    grace6697 wrote:
    kevin sheilds did a bunch of solo stuff on sofia coppola's lost in translation soundtrack. definitely worth checking out.

kevin shields also did a remix of the go! team's "ladyflash" recently... check it out if you like the go! team... if you don't then don't bother because it doesn't sound anything like MBV...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I have to bump this thread.

this record is amazing. one of the best records of all time.

"when you sleep" is so beautiful it brings me to tears. I think that and "sometimes" are my favorite songs from loveless.

my buddy just told me to check out an album called "nowhere" by ride. apparently its in the same league as loveless. anyone familiar?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    I have to bump this thread.

this record is amazing. one of the best records of all time.

"when you sleep" is so beautiful it brings me to tears. I think that and "sometimes" are my favorite songs from loveless.

my buddy just told me to check out an album called "nowhere" by ride. apparently its in the same league as loveless. anyone familiar?

yeah if you love loveless type MBV you'll really like ride i think.
  • Billy Corgan was/is 10x the songwriter....what a farce of a thread.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Billy Corgan was/is 10x the songwriter....what a farce of a thread.

well i agree billy was a much much better writer but i'm not going to deny the influence of MBV when even Billy says they were a huge inspiration for the guitar sounds he got on Gish and Siamese Dream.
    billy corgan is a hack

kevin shields is a genius

loveless is one of the most beautiful pieces of recorded music I've ever heard
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    StoneG82 wrote:

Agree completley.

Isn't Anything is an amazing album as well. Kind of a lo-fi shoegazer album....it always sounded to me like Eric's Trip doing the spacey/shoegazing sound (although I guess that comparison is meaningless if you dont know Erics Trip - and most people outside Canada dont)

Ride is an amazing band - mentioned earlier in this thread......Nowhere is their best album IMO although Going Blank Again is pretty damn good too
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:

Ride is an amazing band - mentioned earlier in this thread......Nowhere is their best album IMO although Going Blank Again is pretty damn good too

yeah i picked up Nowhere shortly after making that post. It's definitely a great record. "Vapour Trail" is one of my favorite songs ever.

shoegazer begins and ends with Loveless for me.

"Furiously loud but seductive rather than aggressive, the album flows like a lava stream from one track into another, subsuming everything in the mix into its blissful roar, and pulsing like a lover's body."

saw that on Amazon.com....really sums up Loveless well.
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    billy corgan is a hack
    Stupidest thing ever said. Ever.

Seriously, that's the "go out back and shoot yourself" kind of stupid.

I love MBV too, but don't be a dumbfuck.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    StoneG82 wrote:
    billy corgan is a hack

kevin shields is a genius

Mmmmm this is what I like to hear

although personally I don't think he is a complete hack (I save that designation for the Cornells of the world), but he definately gets a lot more praise than I can make sense of. Siamese Dream was pretty great, but the rest is pretty damn spotty.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");