Alice in Chains OPENING for Velvet Revolver?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Shouldn't this be the other way around? I just got an email from ticketmaster saying they were playing Jones Beach. I saw AIC at Nokia last year, but I won't spend money just to see them and then leave before Velvet Revolver
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    No, it should be some other band opening for Velvet Revolver, because Alice In Chains is done!! They are not AIC, they are the remaining members in need of some cash! Layne is gone, therefore AIC should be too!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    yeah it's a no brainer that Alice would open
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    smithnic wrote:
    No, it should be some other band opening for Velvet Revolver, because Alice In Chains is done!! They are not AIC, they are the remaining members in need of some cash! Layne is gone, therefore AIC should be too!!

tell that to the guy who wrote 50% of the lyrics and 85% of the music.

That argument has been played out extensively in other threads. Sorry you feel that way, i feel the oppisite.

I agree it is odd AIC is opening for Velvet Revolver. Sparta is rumored to be on the bill for the second half of the tour which would make it even more appealing to me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    intodeep wrote:
    tell that to the guy who wrote 50% of the lyrics and 85% of the music.

That argument has been played out extensively in other threads. Sorry you feel that way, i feel the oppisite.

I agree it is odd AIC is opening for Velvet Revolver. Sparta is rumored to be on the bill for the second half of the tour which would make it even more appealing to me.
    As of now, VR sells more records than AIC. It really is gonna be a double bill though, so who cares?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    intodeep wrote:
    I agree it is odd AIC is opening for Velvet Revolver.

I don't know how anyone can think its odd, Layne is gone and they haven't released anything in years while Contraband sold a couple million albums, as someone else stated already its a no brainer. If Layne was still alive then VR would be opening for AIC.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    does anyone know how they'll be splitting the time? i imagine AIC will play longer than a normal opening act...VR only plays about 2 hours anyway I believe
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I don't care if Cantrell wrote most of the songs... without Layne there is no Alice in Chains. They should change their name!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Trailer wrote:
    I don't care if Cantrell wrote most of the songs... without Layne there is no Alice in Chains. They should change their name!

seeing aic now will change your mind.......love to layne, but the band lives on. the other singer is still in the band so much aic is two singers at the same time.
  • Let AIC live on as far as im concerned. Queen plus Paul Rodgers is a different sound because no one could replace Mercury, but they still rock now nonetheless. Bands can continue on.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    $75.00 bucks to see AIC and VR? No thank you. :D
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    LedZepFan wrote:
    does anyone know how they'll be splitting the time? i imagine AIC will play longer than a normal opening act...VR only plays about 2 hours anyway I believe
    If it's billed as a co headlining show, then AIC, and VR will get a 90 minute set. That is how every co- headlining tour I have seen has worked, It's usually 17 /18 songs per band which is a standard set length for most alot of bands at a regular gig.

If they don't dub the tour a co headling bill then AIC's set will probably be a tad shorter maybe 12 songs (that's just a guess) and VR will play a longer set since they are the headliners.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    $75.00 bucks to see AIC and VR? No thank you. :D

Two for the price of one.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    JB's my fav venue
    If the band sucks, can't beat the view

I'm there for AIC but I'll give VR a chance even though I'm not a Weiland fan
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    brain of c wrote:
    seeing aic now will change your mind.......love to layne, but the band lives on. the other singer is still in the band so much aic is two singers at the same time.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I saw them on that first comeback tour last year and William Duvall is completely wrong for that band. Those songs are notoriously bleak and it's jarring to see someone smiling and preening on stage while they're performing them. I left the show feeling really bad about this "reunion." (The Layne Staley tribute shirts for sale made it even more depressing.)

At this point, touring under the AIC name is bad enough. The fact that they are working on new material is extraordinarily disappointing.

AIC without Layne or Jerry is not AIC.
    Two for the price of one.

Velvet Revolver isn't worth any price. :D
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Velvet Revolver isn't worth any price. :D

Come on now.. Contraband is a great rock album! I drove up to Humboldt recently, and that album definitely made the trip go by faster.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Trailer wrote:
    Come on now.. Contraband is a great rock album!

Contraband is pretty bad IMO but after hearing some of the new songs live I have higher hopes for Libertad.
    Trailer wrote:
    Come on now.. Contraband is a great rock album! I drove up to Humboldt recently, and that album definitely made the trip go by faster.

Hey you like what you like and that's wonderful. IMO Velvet Revolver they sound like crap.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    pjl44 wrote:
    I couldn't possibly disagree more. I saw them on that first comeback tour last year and William Duvall is completely wrong for that band. Those songs are notoriously bleak and it's jarring to see someone smiling and preening on stage while they're performing them. I left the show feeling really bad about this "reunion." (The Layne Staley tribute shirts for sale made it even more depressing.)

At this point, touring under the AIC name is bad enough. The fact that they are working on new material is extraordinarily disappointing.

AIC without Layne or Jerry is not AIC.

everyone has there own opinion........we disagree.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Going to Jones Beach on a saturday night in the middle of the summer, how bad can it be? I'm in for AIC, have a few boots and they sound good to me. Never got to see Layne, so I just have to settle. VR will be fun to watch, not that familiar w/ them, but love the venue if its a good night.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    holtz wrote:
    I don't know how anyone can think its odd, Layne is gone and they haven't released anything in years while Contraband sold a couple million albums, as someone else stated already its a no brainer. If Layne was still alive then VR would be opening for AIC.

No i agree i understand why it is that way, but in my mind i am much more excited to see this version of AIC then i am to see VR. It is just personal preference for me. From a marketing standpoint i see why it makes sense.

I think Jerry is friends with Weiland. Or at least on friendly terms I saw them years ago at a festival and stp closed their set out with sex type thing but before they started they brought jerry out to play the song with them and Scott had nice things to say.

so i'm sure it is cool to tour with guys you are friends with.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Do people really like VR? I don't know anyone who really likes them??? I hardly ever hear them on Sirius. If I were to go, I would probably watch AIC and then leave.

I do agree that AIC isn't the same without Lane... But you know these still are the original members and they sounds pretty good...

Anybody here watch Kids In The Hall? Where there was a band in car crash or something and the only surviving member was the drummer. And he was going to go on a world tour by himself and finish the album himself. HAHA
    Ava17adore wrote:
    Do people really like VR? I don't know anyone who really likes them??? I hardly ever hear them on Sirius. If I were to go, I would probably watch AIC and then leave.

I do agree that AIC isn't the same without Lane... But you know these still are the original members and they sounds pretty good...

Anybody here watch Kids In The Hall? Where there was a band in car crash or something and the only surviving member was the drummer. And he was going to go on a world tour by himself and finish the album himself. HAHA

I think people mainly go to hear their covers of their old songs. That is the only reason i would stay to check them out :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I think Jerry is friends with Weiland. Or at least on friendly terms I saw them years ago at a festival and stp closed their set out with sex type thing but before they started they brought jerry out to play the song with them and Scott had nice things to say.

so i'm sure it is cool to tour with guys you are friends with.

Duff, the VR bassist played with AIC at some shows last year and AIC bassist Mike Inez played on Slash's Snakepit's first album with Duff, Slash and Matt, all now with VR. I'm not sure anyone is friends with Weiland.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pjl44 wrote:
    I saw them on that first comeback tour last year and William Duvall is completely wrong for that band. .

So did I, and my impressions are the complete opposite of yours. Thought Duvall fitted in very nicely indeed. He had presence and energy and could sing those AIC songs. Obviously not Layne, but he didn't try to be Layne either. Jerry Cantrell may not be AIC but he is a HUGE part of it.

I personally can't wait for their new material.. There may be less comparison with Layne then.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I'd be going to see Slash and Jerry Cantrell. Who gives a fuck about the singers. Both thoses fuckers rip on guitar.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    AiC rocks. VR rocks. There's no way I'm missing this one.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    The new AIC is bored.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman