White Stripes @ MSG Last Night

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited July 2007 in Other Music
HOLY SHIT

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the next band to take over the world. The Garden was packed! The only seats left was behind the stage (which weren't sold) and half a section almost behind the stage up in the 400s. Other than that, PACKED. The two opening bands before sucked so bad, I was about to kill myself. I wasn't expecting the stripes to come on at 10:05, because I had a train at 11:15, but I stayed through the whole thing and find other means of transportation.

The crowd was LOUD, cheers were as loud as I have ever heard. Jack even said we were amazing for them :)

Setlist: (2 hour show exactly)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
When I Hear My Name
Jolene
Hotel Yorba
Cannon
Icky Thump
Do
Death Letter
Cold Cold Night
A Martyr for My Love for You
Slowly Turning Into You
I Think I smell A Rat
Wasting My Time
300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
You Don't Know What Love Is
Fell in Love With a Girl
Ball and Biscuit
Blue Orchid
I Just Don't Know What To Do with Myself
Little Ghost
We're Going to Be Friends
Little Bird
Catch Hell Blues
My Doorbell
7 Nation Army
Boll Weevil

In my opinion, NEAR perfect setlist...Just missing Effect and Cause, Little Cream Soda, and Black Math.

Slowly Turning Into You, was the highlight of the show! Almost brought MSG and the crowd with them. They sounded incredible last night. Fell In Love With a Girl, started off really slow, and then finally they kicked into it and the whole crowd screamed AHHH AHH AHHH. The first 4 songs of the show stole the crowd. I Just Don't Know What TO Do With Myself, got a really big sing along that Jack let us take. 7 Nation Army was funny...Jack messed up in the middle of the song and he just stopped and stared at the crowd and gave a face like "what the hell am i doing??"...then at the end of it, he forgot the lyrics and just went LALALALALALALALA...haha! My Doorbell was played on guitar, and sounded freakin great, better than the bass he's been using.

Overall...9/10 stars
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    reading that was like foreplay to me

i'm seeing them in October :):)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • it's so crazy how much energy he gives the crowd to feed off of, one dude setting the whole venue on fire....a rare breed for sure
    hate was just a legend
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    it's so crazy how much energy he gives the crowd to feed off of, one dude setting the whole venue on fire....a rare breed for sure

Exactly. Raw, uncut energy.

Crazy setlist.
  • it's so crazy how much energy he gives the crowd to feed off of, one dude setting the whole venue on fire....a rare breed for sure

That's all it was, it was just Jack moving around doing his stuff and the crowd loved it! When Meg sang In The Cold Cold Night, the crowd went wild. I was suprised certain songs got certain ovations.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • no "Hardest Button to Button"??
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    no "Hardest Button to Button"??

Nope.
    Don't really think they're playing much of "Hardest Button to Button" this tour.
  • How long was the set? When I saw em two nights ago in Boston, they only played for an hour and fifteen minutes, which I thought was pretty cheap, even though they sounded great.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    How long was the set? When I saw em two nights ago in Boston, they only played for an hour and fifteen minutes, which I thought was pretty cheap, even though they sounded great.

Two hours - give or take a little. Definitely no sense that the show was too short.

I was really surprised; I thought MSG had a strict curfew. The White Stripes ended after midnight! They started around 10 b/c of those two abysmal opening bands. I'm convinced the second band wasn't even playing music - it was just a cacophony of screaming and disconnected instruments. But yeah, the Stripes somehow made the wait worthwhile.
  • Yeah the show started at 8. Porter Wagoner an 80 yr old country singer was 1st. I mean not my type of music but the guys in his 80's and seemed like he was happy to be playing in MSG. Had to respect him. Grinderman which is Nick Cave's new band wasn't great but I thought the drummer was good. I think they were both only opening acts for the MSG show and not the rest of the tour. I knew the Stripes were going on at 10 cause MSG sent me an email the night before but I usually go for the opening acts anyway.

A few songs I would have liked to hear were Pretty Good Looking for a Girl, One More Cup of Coffee, Hardest Button to Button of course, I'm Finding It Harder, Walking with a Ghost.

But the show did start of well Dead leaves one of my fav's all the way through Cold Cold Night. Some of the new songs I haven't gotten a chance to listen to enough and they all kinda sounded the same to me. But it was an awesome show. I saw them two times before last night. Once during the WBC tour and once during the Elephant tour. This is right up there with the other two.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • Yeah the show started at 8. Porter Wagoner an 80 yr old country singer was 1st. I mean not my type of music but the guys in his 80's and seemed like he was happy to be playing in MSG. Had to respect him. Grinderman which is Nick Cave's new band wasn't great but I thought the drummer was good. I think they were both only opening acts for the MSG show and not the rest of the tour. I knew the Stripes were going on at 10 cause MSG sent me an email the night before but I usually go for the opening acts anyway.

A few songs I would have liked to hear were Pretty Good Looking for a Girl, One More Cup of Coffee, Hardest Button to Button of course, I'm Finding It Harder, Walking with a Ghost.

But the show did start of well Dead leaves one of my fav's all the way through Cold Cold Night. Some of the new songs I haven't gotten a chance to listen to enough and they all kinda sounded the same to me. But it was an awesome show. I saw them two times before last night. Once during the WBC tour and once during the Elephant tour. This is right up there with the other two.

The new album is insane, you have to pick it up...Catch Hell Blues is my favorite and that was played and i was satisfied :)

Yeah I was suprised they let them play to midnight, PJ had to pay more money to play until midnight in 03 for both nights!

The second opening band was worse than the first in my opinion. Just a guy trying to sound like a grungy jim morrison, awful.

Were one of you 2 a guy with a Vs. shrit on? I saw someone with it.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    want to hear it?

http://www.nyctaper.com
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • look where i'm seeing them on Friday

http://www.grandopera.org/events/?id=145

there's no good pics of the venue on that site, but i can't tell you how small this place is. Should be awesome - part of their hitting all the states they never played in before.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
    The new album is insane, you have to pick it up...Catch Hell Blues is my favorite and that was played and i was satisfied :)

Yeah I was suprised they let them play to midnight, PJ had to pay more money to play until midnight in 03 for both nights!

The second opening band was worse than the first in my opinion. Just a guy trying to sound like a grungy jim morrison, awful.

Were one of you 2 a guy with a Vs. shrit on? I saw someone with it.

I saw the guy with the Vs. shirt too.

I'm also convinced the mirrorball was up just to torture us.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    im guessing there wasn't a drum solo
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    im guessing there wasn't a drum solo

no but meg was fresh as hell last night
  • lowlight10 wrote:
    want to hear it?

http://www.nyctaper.com

how do i listen to this on a mac? flac frontend work on a mac?

edit: downloaded VLC and can listen to it even though it shows up as a text document on my computer, but i need something to convert it to WAV so I can play it in itunes :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Sounds like a wild set-list.

I'm gassing for the stripes to come to Australia, anyone know anythign there ???
    Music is not a competetion.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Sounds like a wild set-list.

I'm gassing for the stripes to come to Australia, anyone know anythign there ???

i know nothing. but BDO looks a good bet. they've not done it for a couple of years. well last year but it will be two years come january 08. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    i know nothing. but BDO looks a good bet. they've not done it for a couple of years. well last year but it will be two years come january 08. :)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I hate festivals !!

I want them to come to Byron !!

Awesome interview with Jack in teh latest Guitar World Mag to hit the stands. Really, good stuff !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I hate festivals !!

I want them to come to Byron !!

Awesome interview with Jack in teh latest Guitar World Mag to hit the stands. Really, good stuff !!

yeah but... yeah but... lucy they always do stand alones. heck last time they even played tasmania. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Awesome show on Tuesday. We missed the first opener, but the second was beyond horrible. Almost ruined our mood, definitely killed my buzz. But the second The White Stripes came out, it all turned around. Jack is like 200% pure energy on stage. Amazing show.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Sounds like you guys got one of the better shows of the tour. My brother and some buddies went last night in CT and they only played about an hour and twenty minutes. Sounds like they brought their A game to MSG.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Love the new stuff, but of old- Flip sides is excellent!!!! Wish I had tix to the LA show, damn now Im pissed I knew this would be the show of the year(beside the VIC that is...)
    “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And it is something you give away.”