Best Metal Singer??

dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
edited August 2006 in Other Music
My favs are Bruce Dikinson (Iron Maiden) and Joey Belladonna (Anthrax). Great stuff!! Check out The Number Of The Beast and Among The Living to see what Im talking about!

Who are your favs??
Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• give me hetfield any day of the week :)
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hmmm So many forms of metal. I don't really like the high screaching voices of maiden/priest et al, and i'm not a huge fan of the growling/ barking either.

I like Phil from Pantera (and all his other post pantera bands).

The guy from opeth is cool because he has a "nice" voice and then he can bring it up when the song gets heavy to that metal growl.

gotta mention max of soulfly and sepultura as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    Ronnie James Dio

Rob Halford

Geoff Tate
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Yeah... Geoff Tate
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Maynard James Keenan
    Philip Anselmo
    Chris Cornell (c'mon, be honest, most soundgarden WAS metal)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Maynard James Keenan
    Philip Anselmo

but being honest, it is Devin Townsend. Lord Wyrm at number 2
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    m0jorisen wrote:
    Ronnie James Dio
    This is the correct answer..........Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, solo......all great shit
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Echoes wrote:

but being honest, it is Devin Townsend. Lord Wyrm at number 2
    To be honest I've not any music by either but have heard great things about them, particularly devin townshend. I'm just put off because every time I read something about strapping young lad it says that they are "heavy as fuck" or "the heaviest band in the world" and I'm not one for screamy music which is what I've come to anticipate from the band now.

Basically anyone who listens to Pushit by Tool and still doesn't rate MJK is crazy :)

"If, when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay,
    you minimize my movement anyway,
    I must persuade you another way"

Godly.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    SYL is really loud music. Produced to be a gigantic monster. But even with that, you can hear that Dev has an amazing voice. His screams are awesome and not lame like so many bands out there. I suggest you at least give them a little try

edit: The thing about not listing Tool is how in the world would you hear pushit and think that it is a metal song? Evidently we have very different definitions of metal
    Echoes wrote:
    SYL is really loud music. Produced to be a gigantic monster. But even with that, you can hear that Dev has an amazing voice. His screams are awesome and not lame like so many bands out there. I suggest you at least give them a little try

edit: The thing about not listing Tool is how in the world would you hear pushit and think that it is a metal song? Evidently we have very different definitions of metal
    what would you call it then? it might not be the heaviest song in the world but is it not still metal? I don't pretend to be a huge metal expert but I would classify Tool as a metal band.

ps I will check out SYL. I've been meaning to for some time actually just one of these things I've never got round to. and also, I don't doubt we have very different ideas about metal. :D I take it you are a fan of all these extreme metal bands like crytopsy and carcass et al?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    take it you are a fan of all these extreme metal bands like crytopsy and carcass et al?

This is the problem i knew woulds arise. so many people view metal differently. I would not call crytopsy extreme metal i would think of them as normal metal.

not sure how i would classify tool. Ultimately I'm sure we all agree it doesn't matter as long as you dig it you can call the genre cream puff rock if it is good it is good.

For me tool is i guess more of an extreme hard rock band.

I do like MJK but i would not think of him as a metal vocalist personally.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    If you wanna count Alice in Chains as metal, then Layne Staley shits, pisses, and vomits on EVERYONE...

Although, I must also praise Chris Cornell, Maynard James Keenan, and Phil Anselmo for their greatness :D
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    If you wanna count Alice in Chains as metal, then Layne Staley shits, pisses, and vomits on EVERYONE...

Although, I must also praise Chris Cornell, Maynard James Keenan, and Phil Anselmo for their greatness :D
    I didn't want to add Layne because I anticipated people going "oh they weren't metal" when they kinda were. I would put layne at the top of my favourite list and definitely near the top of my Best list. Your tastes are impeccable.
    Mangs AiC is not very metal at ALL. Soundgarden is practically Black fucking Sabbath compared to AiC (And I would never ever ever call SG metal).

Jeremy - I don't listen to Carcass, although Jellyrolls got me listening to a few songs and I really liked them. But yes, I do like extreme metal quite a bit. Cryptopsy is pretty amazing. In fact, really amazing. I tend to shy away from the hyper melodic stuff that seems to be coming out in droves these days (At The Gates did it the best, and it still managed to sound heavy and awesome)
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Hilary Duff.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Echoes wrote:

Hey can you recommend some songs or an album? I know kerrang magazine are forever raving about the band.
  • Best metal singer? That would be James Hetfield.
    ......._________________________
    ....../ `---GLORIFIED_G----_____|] ===
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// (..) ), ----"
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    James Hetfield is the best metal singer, he hasn´t a excellent vocal range, but he´s has the most furious and tremendous voice,a great songwriter and one of the greatest riff creators...

other great metal singers, Phillip Anselmo is one of my favorites, he has a totally agressive and powerful vocals... i like Corey taylor of Slipknot too, he combines a powerful and melodic voice on stage, i hate all opera- progressive metal singers like bruce dickinson...
    Hey can you recommend some songs or an album? I know kerrang magazine are forever raving about the band.

Album - City or The New Black. Songs - "AAA," "Room 429," "Far Beyond Metal"

To everyone who said Hetfield - how much metal do you listen to, out of curiousity?

Also tonadax I would have to ask how you feel that hetfield is "ferocious." He is pretty much one of the tamest metal singers I have ever heard. That is probably why so many people like him, because he is hella watered down (even back in the day)
  • BeBeBeBe Posts: 229

:D

Wow..got to agree on Layne..What a pipe he had! A voice unmatchable by anyone else.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Anelmso
    MJK
    Hetfield
    Halford
    Dio
    Tate

One could argue whether Tool are metal or not (I think they are although they transcend metal) but MJK has a fantastic voice. He doesn't have the power of Halford or Tate but he has great range and you could never imagine Halford being able to pull off the stuff MJK did with APC or Pucfier.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • BeBe wrote:
    Wow..got to agree on Layne..What a pipe he had! A voice unmatchable by anyone else.

Chris Cornell owns Layne Staley.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth
    Hes got one of the best voices I've ever heard. Great singing voice plus he can scream like a mofo.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Maynard James Keenan
    Philip Anselmo

I Prefer Ritchie kotzen Singing than Cornell...

see Alirio Netto... from Khallice - http://www.khallice.com.br
  • My list:

Bruce Dickenson

James Hetfield

Ronnie James Dio

Bon Scott

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I didn't want to add Layne because I anticipated people going "oh they weren't metal" when they kinda were. I would put layne at the top of my favourite list and definitely near the top of my Best list. Your tastes are impeccable.

Thanks man. I tell all of my friends that I have the best taste in music :D
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • The best metal singer of all time would be Mikael Stanne from Dark tranquillity. Dark tranquillity is a band from Gothenburg Sweden. If you have never heard of them and you like metal, you should really check them out. They are the Pearl Jam of metal.

http://www.darktranquillity.com/
    Everything has chains...absolutely nothing's changed...

~07/13/1998 Los Angeles, 07/14/1998 Los Angeles, 10/28/2000 San Bernardino, 06/02/2003 Irvine, 06/05/2003 San Diego, 07/09/2006 Los Angeles, 07/10/2006 Los Angeles~
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Daniel Gildenloew from Pain Of Salvation..He has a brilliant voice..

Other personal favorites of mine are James Hetfield, he has such energy in his voice

Ozzy Osbourne..Ok,the guy is a wreck, but my god what a voice he had back in the Sabbath days..

And also another person who hasn`t been mentiond - Roger Daltrey. He is one of the greatest
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
    E.Bloom wrote:
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Daniel Gildenloew from Pain Of Salvation..He has a brilliant voice..

Other personal favorites of mine are James Hetfield, he has such energy in his voice

Ozzy Osbourne..Ok,the guy is a wreck, but my god what a voice he had back in the Sabbath days..

And also another person who hasn`t been mentiond - Roger Daltrey. He is one of the greatest
    how is roger daltrey a metal singer? really? :D
  • E.Bloom wrote:

Agree... forgot Daniel!!!! If you like POS you have to take a look in http://www.khallice.com.br. they just sign with Magna Carta!