Grunge Bands?

dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Other than the four horseman of grunge (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC, Soundgarden) what are some other good grunge bands that are worth a listen? Ive heard good things about Dead Moon.

Cheers
Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dead moon is great but they are not grunge...i wouldn't really say any of those 4 bands are grunge except for nirvana.

go with mudhoney, tad and the u-men to start off with.

if you are just interested in rock bands from seattle then start with the documentary 'hype' and take your pick.
  • Dinosaur Jr. I'm sure people will say they aren't grunge, and I don't really care. It's a pretty useless label to begin with. But if you like the "four horsemen" you mentioned, you should like Dino. Where You Been is probably the best Dino album to start with. It's great, and pretty accessible. After that, get You're Living All Over Me and Bug.

Screaming Trees are another great band you would probably like.

If you want somethintg more obscure, check out Love Battery. They were on Sub Pop in the early 90's and have a kind of psychedelic grunge sound.
  • hendrix78 wrote:

Screaming Trees are another great band you would probably like.

Second that.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Sonic Youth were considered grunge and they rule. But im not sure if they are grunge :S
    Keep on rocking in the free world
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    A band from that era (from the Portland, OR area) that is SORELY overlooked that I bring up from time to time on this board is a band called Pond. Get either of their first 2 albums (or get both and just listen to them in order). The 3rd (and final) album is ok, but the first 2 are just awesome. The first is self titled and the 2nd is "The Practice Of Joy Before Death". How these guys never made it at least somewhat big I will never know.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Again don't know about the terminology? here's what I'd recomend thou

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

Screamin' Trees - Dust

Afghan Whigs - Gentlman

Sonic Youth - Dirty

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I Mother Earth's "Dig" is one of my favorite albums of all time. You can get it for about $.99 (minus shipping) used on Amazon. It seems like I'm always plugging this album in my posts in one way or another, but it truly is amazing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • the first Silverchair album 'Frogstomp' probably should be included
    hate was just a legend
  • theres no such thing as "grunge"
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times

tru dat.
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    Pond were an absolutley incredible band and I love them to bits. There were things that the members did after pond aswell, there quite rad so you should check them out if you dont know about them. They are Goldcard and Audio Learning Center.
    BinFrog wrote:
    A band from that era (from the Portland, OR area) that is SORELY overlooked that I bring up from time to time on this board is a band called Pond. Get either of their first 2 albums (or get both and just listen to them in order). The 3rd (and final) album is ok, but the first 2 are just awesome. The first is self titled and the 2nd is "The Practice Of Joy Before Death". How these guys never made it at least somewhat big I will never know.
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
    I agree with that.
    Some other bands that were mentioned, STP @ Smashing Pumpkins kick ass though!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    bayleaf wrote:
    Pond were an absolutley incredible band and I love them to bits. There were things that the members did after pond aswell, there quite rad so you should check them out if you dont know about them. They are Goldcard and Audio Learning Center.

I have an ALC disc (it's ok), but I haven't checked out Goldcard yet. Good stuff?

I got to see Pond back in 93. Great show w/ Poster Children (another sorely overlooked band) and Screaming Trees. How's that for a lineup?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    Thats a pretty rad lineup. Yeh I quite enjoyed the Goldcard CD, I havent got the ALC cds yet but there on there way from amazon.
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~