Lou Reed!!

dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
edited May 2008 in Other Music
What are peoples thoguhts on Lou Reed/ The Velvet Underground??

Personally i see him as a musical genius. I also love his whole "street" persona and I dig any1 who went out with trannys.

Any fans out there?

Any1 who just hates this guy?

Favourite Song/Album?

My fav. album = New York
My fav. song = Heroin
Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't think he's a musical genius and the idea of liking a musician because of their "street" persona and romancing of transexuals is a bit dumb but I do like his music.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't think he's a musical genius and the idea of liking a musician because of their "street" persona and romancing of transexuals is a bit dumb but I do like his music.
    Well put. I do enjoy his stuff with VU as well as his solo album Transformer. I would say he is a musical genius but I'd never decide to like a guy just because he was into trannys...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Well put. I do enjoy his stuff with VU as well as his solo album Transformer. I would say he is a musical genius but I'd never decide to like a guy just because he was into trannys...
    I love the Velvet Underground but if anyone was a genius in that band it was Cale.

Favourite song would probably be What Goes On, Venus in Furs or Perfect Day. Or The Kids :D

Favourite album...... suppose VU and Nico.

Nico's solo stuff and Cale's solo stuff are far superior to Lou's though. Check out Nico's Chelsea Girl and The Marble Index and Cale's Paris 1919 if you haven't already.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I love the Velvet Underground but if anyone was a genius in that band it was Cale.

Favourite song would probably be What Goes On, Venus in Furs or Perfect Day. Or The Kids :D

Favourite album...... suppose VU and Nico.

Nico's solo stuff and Cale's solo stuff are far superior to Lou's though. Check out Nico's Chelsea Girl and The Marble Index and Cale's Paris 1919 if you haven't already.

And Cale's solo performances of Venus in Furs far surpass Lou Reed's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_Hw9nQA4M
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    And Cale's solo performances of Venus in Furs far surpass Lou Reed's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_Hw9nQA4M
    Definitely.

One thing that really bugs me is people who say Nico ruins the VU and Nico because she can't sing. Firstly, she can, she just has an odd voice and secondly, LOU FUCKING REED! Come on :D

This is the best VU related song ever. Nico - These Days
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-4lxDwyYI
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    lou reed is easily my favorite artist of the 60's 70's. genuis is an understatement in my book. i know its a bit cliche but berlin is my favorite. coney island baby is right up there. i always liked how he came off as such a jerk in interviews and stuff but his music was so touching.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2pF5oMdP4

that guy wrote pale blue eyes. ill never understand it.
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I am not a huge fan of his music but I am curious about the lifestyle that made him write the music. The fact that Andy Warhol was their manager and they worked at the Factory, that crowd is an interesting bunch. To read about their social circle and how it evolved through the 60's and 70's is very intriguing.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    dan_vedder wrote:

Personally i see him as a musical genius. I also love his whole "street" persona and I dig any1 who went out with trannys.

Any fans out there?

Any1 who just hates this guy?

Favourite Song/Album?

My fav. album = New York
    My fav. song = Heroin
    Have you given 'Rock N Roll Animal' a listen? great versions of 'Intro/Sweet Jane', 'Heroin' and 'Rock And Roll'. Some great, 70s style guitar work courtesy of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • VortexVortex Posts: 8,772
    dan_vedder wrote:

I love his work, The Velvet Underground is my all time favourite band.

Had the chance to meet Lou back in 2000, i must admit that i thought he might be bitter but he was very kind indeed.

My fav album, from VU, Loaded, from Lou solo carreer, that´s hard because i have his first solo cd signed but,mmm, Berlin.
    My fav songs, i guess, Heroin from VU, and Men Of Good Fortune from his solo carreer.
    If you follow every dream
    You might get lost
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    Yea i got most of his records. Rock n Roll Animals excellent and i do agree that Cale is ALSO a musical genius ;)
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Goofy08073Goofy08073 Posts: 41
    i saw him in philly recently and hes aged so badly
    i still love him and he is a good performer
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Goofy08073 wrote:
    i saw him in philly recently and hes aged so badly
    i still love him and he is a good performer

aged badly???? he's 66, and hes not madonna. i know 40 year olds that look worse then him.

and that philly show was awesome
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    The Blue Mask - No Mistakes on that album at all
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Was just watching Prozac Nation tonight so it inspired me to listen to them for the first time in awhile (he is in the movie). Cool band but only something I can listen to on occasion.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson