The Hold Steady

brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Hey, does anybody know this band?

I listened a couple of their tunes and found it really great. Can you tell me some thing about them (know they are from NY). Or recommend me some more stuff from them?

Thanks!
'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    damn, I thought they were from MN. anyway, I have their first 2 releases and I find Separation Sunday the better of the 2. Though I do enjoy them, I can't help but want him to actually sing a song or two. The music is pretty great.

I am pretty sure I remember a couple folks here digging this band.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Really fun live, guitarist is really nice, last track on Seperation Sunday is really killer
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • I think both albums are equally good. Speak-sing type vocals, funny commentary on most tracks, and tasty licks all over the place.

Probably the best bar band I've heard in years. Great with beer! lol
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    transplant wrote:
    damn, I thought they were from MN. anyway, I have their first 2 releases and I find Separation Sunday the better of the 2. Though I do enjoy them, I can't help but want him to actually sing a song or two. The music is pretty great.

I am pretty sure I remember a couple folks here digging this band.

hehe, now that i listened to the albuns i see what you mean.

that dude really likes the 'forget about singing-let me tell you a tale' approach.

but i am really diggin' it...

inappropriate post.

Echoes wrote:
    Really fun live, guitarist is really nice, last track on Seperation Sunday is really killer

that song is great.

by the way, what'a hoodrat anyway? i am not from a English-language country so i must ask.

inappropriate post.

• floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    They are a lot of fun. I think they have a third album due out soon too.
  • they are fucking rad. thank you for adressing a band that's not audioslave :)
    Probably the best bar band I've heard in years. Great with beer! lol
    I would probably down 3 beers alone if I heard Banging Camp live. Stevie Nix would deserve another 3.
    they are fucking rad. thank you for adressing a band that's not audioslave :)

audioslave????

hehehe

inappropriate post.

transplant wrote:
    I would probably down 3 beers alone if I heard Banging Camp live. Stevie Nix would deserve another 3.

'i saw her at the party pit. she was shaky but still trying to shake it. half naked and three quarters wasted. she was completely alone.'

inappropriate post.

• hey - they're streaming their new album now it's realeased tomorrow...sounds pretty good. springsteen-ish

http://www.vagrant.com/holdsteady_listeningparty/
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
    I have read that he sings a few songs on this one. I can't wait to hear it. Can't stream at work so I will just pick this up tomorrow.
    Only listened to the 1st song and wow...almost made me want to start jump in front of my desk!!

Gonna listen to rest of it at night.

inappropriate post.

• listened to the whole thing and i like alot. definitely 'get piss drunk' music. which is fine by me

What goes on?

inappropriate post.

• i love this album. i don't know what to say - it blows me away and makes me want to go to a dive bar - drink shit beer - hookup w/random cougar in fishnets - wake-up in gutter. good times.

i can definitely see some lyric snobs turning their nose up at some of the themes and lack of real wordsmithing. but the rockin guitar riffs and catchy melodies somehow overcome it.

i kept asking myself when i was listening last night "how does he make these lyrics work?" it's just fun music.

thoughts? anyone else pick it up?

What goes on?
    got it yesterday but haven't been able to give it a good listen. tomorrow for sure.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    their new one is the first i've heard of em

I like it a lot....one of my favorite records this year. sounds like the replacements mixed with GBV and a little springsteen.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    k I was digging this record and decided to write about it kind of stream of conciousness thing but anyways:

If I go to school tomorrow it will be done in a state of near exhaustion. It's almost two and I am speeding down 34th ave looking for an open liquor store. The headphone jack on my Ipod is still broke because I haven't yet had the $50 to fix it. It's dark and for whatever reason I really thought that there would be more cars on the road, just the occasional cab-and thankfully not police car-watching me slow mostly to a stop, creep towards a red light before slamming my 92 saturn (which would be rusted and falling apart if not for my "dent-resistant polymer panels") through the intersection in the fading hope that one of these beer lights won't say Coors but rather Open. They never do, like the girls at the bar they humor me with a floresant smile, luring the desparate moth I am, before going home with their man the Closed sign, hanging a few feet away, knowing full well that if he turns his back she's going home with me.
    I have become everything I once hated. But Neil Finn's slurred voice not only make it OK, he makes it everything I could ever want. Listening to Chips Ahoy makes me want to meet a talented and most likely easy girl to play the horses with. I've only been to the track once and that was to see Shane's uncle in Vancouver. Now I want to go back and lose everything. Such is the power of song, makes you want to be stoned in a shit apartment with people you barely know but would die for. Of course the problem with this plan lies in the fact that it is now 2:05am and if I can't even find an open liquor store where am I to find a horse track? Heading home and actually stopping at the red light that could lead either to her parents or to the apartment where the winter passed too quick. Things are quiet now, outside, inside, on the stereo. Everything coming to a close as I pull up to my empty house and hesitate for just a second whether or not to stay in the car and see how this turns out even though I know how the cd ends.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb