SMC ~ Nico - 'Chelsea Girl'

brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
edited February 2007 in Other Music
OK 'SMC peeps', sorry about the delay but i was away for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, i wanted to make a mix with all the random 'N' artists i have in my computer but in the end i was not happy with the result. (it had Nick Cave, Nick Drake and New York Dolls mixed along with Natalie Portman, Nicole Kidman and a band called New Young Pony Club. Yeah, i know...)

So i checked my cd's and either it was the 'regular N rock' stuff (New Young, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, etc.) or my 'N' poppier side. At the end it came down to Nuno or Nico. So i figured that you guys 'up there' must be in the winter season so the Nico album should be a good choice to go for.

Now here is the album description from our friends fron Wikipedia:

{After collaborating as a singer with The Velvet Underground on their debut The Velvet Underground and Nico (recorded during 1966, released in March 1967), Warhol superstar Nico toured with the band in Andy Warhol's Exploding Plastic Inevitable multimedia roadshow. Before the EPI came to an end in 1967, Nico took up residence in a New York City coffeehouse as solo folk chanteuse, accompanied in turn by acquainted guitarists, such as Tim Hardin, Jackson Browne and Leonard Cohen, but also her Velvet Underground colleagues Lou Reed, Sterling Morrison and John Cale.

Some of her accompanists wrote songs for her to sing, and these form the backbone of Chelsea Girl. Browne and Hardin contributed some songs, Lou Reed gave her one of his early Velvet Underground songs, "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams" (which did not surface as a Velvet Underground recording until it was included in the 1995 box set Peel Slowly and See), and Reed, Cale and Morrison in various combinations contributed four more songs. Additionally, Bob Dylan gave her one of his songs to record: "I'll Keep It with Mine".

Musically, Chelsea Girl is best described as a cross between chamber folk and Sixties pop. The musical backing is relatively simple, consisting of one or two guitars or, alternatively, a keyboard instrument, played by either Browne or (a combination of) her Velvet Underground colleagues. There are no drums or bass instruments. Adding to the chamber folk feel of the music is the strings and flute arrangement superimposed over the initial recordings by producer Tom Wilson and arranger Larry Fallon without involving or consulting Nico.}

So here it is. Sit down, relax and enjoy.
'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    cool....I'm a huge Velvet Underground fan and never heard this record for some reason.

good call
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    that is cool! i have some lou reed & nico, but not this one. will check out!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Listening as I type.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Just got through one listen and I'm slightly disappointed. I was hoping more would grab me. By the end of the record her voice had become kind of annoying, actually. I'm sure I can get over that and pay more attention to the actual songs in further listens.

Having read the bit about the string additions without Nico's consent, I tried to pay attention to whether or not I felt they helped or hurt the songs. More often than not I like string arrangements, but I do feel they were too much here. With how... plain?... her voice is, I think the simple guitar accompaniments would have sufficed in keeping most of these songs interesting. They do aid in a couple tracks- Little Sister is one, for sure-, but that's more or less because the guitar accompaniment is real basic on those.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I REEEEALLY wanted to like this. I enjoy her contributions in VU however this CD is a tad to pretentious for me. I can't get past her voice. It sounds too masculine. I feel like she doesn't have to sing this way but chooses to for some reason.

I can see this release being enjoyed by the indie snobs (if a thing existed back then). I do enjoy the music, I don't think the strings added anything but I didn't mind them however I just don't think she is able to hold her own here.

I am glad I had the chance to hear this. I would have kicked my own ass if I purchased it. Seriously though, this is what the SMC is about to me. I enjoy the challenge. Who's to say this won't be a regular mainstay in a couple years? who knows? I'm definitely not getting rid of it, it is in iTunes to stay.

I like I'll Keep it With Mine the best. that Dylan can write a good tune :)

thanks.