MMJ at Bonnaroo

clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 320
edited June 2006 in Other Music
So if you haven't heard already, My Morning Jacket played a three hour set Friday Night at bonnaroo. I had the pleasure of being at the very front. It was the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. They rocked it out all three hours. They never let up. Blew any Pearl Jam show I've seen out of the water.

The rest of the festival was amazing as well with highlights for me being Radiohead, The Streets, Andrew Bird, Robert Randolph, Cat Power, and Bright Eyes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    clayton12 wrote:
    So if you haven't heard already, My Morning Jacket played a three hour set Friday Night at bonnaroo. I had the pleasure of being at the very front. It was the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. They rocked it out all three hours. They never let up. Blew any Pearl Jam show I've seen out of the water.

The rest of the festival was amazing as well with highlights for me being Radiohead, The Streets, Andrew Bird, Robert Randolph, Cat Power, and Bright Eyes.

Huh, thats crazy, cause when they opened for PJ they pretty much sucked, hardcore.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
    My Morning Jacket was unreal. I probably just a tick too many mushrooms, but MMJ was unreal. Absolutely setting that place on fire. At least it felt that way to me.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    clayton12 wrote:

damn id love to see a full show by them. im going to have to ask my buddy what he thought.
  • clayton12 wrote:

I was there and I was at the very front as well and yes you are correct they blew the place away. It was non-stop rock and roll! The whole band is fucking awesome, their energy is unbelievable! It was definitely the highlight of my Bonnaroo experience, well except for Radiohead who was beyond words!!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Wasnt there but heard some of the set on xm sounded great
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    yosi wrote:
    Huh, thats crazy, cause when they opened for PJ they pretty much sucked, hardcore.

You seem to be in the vast vast minority on this one. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but toning yours down might make you sound less ridiculous. Just trying to help.

I don't know if MMJ has an equal live right now. Their sets need to get consistently longer and then they will definitely be towards the top of the heap. I watched this webcast for 3+ hours the other night and got goosebumps. I can't imagine what it was like for those of you that saw it live. When I saw them in November, it topped any show I've ever been to, including all of the PJ shows.
  • Jim James was just real sick recently...that's why I think they wanted a little tour of 45 minute sets, to get their sea legs back.

looks like it.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    Jim James was just real sick recently...that's why I think they wanted a little tour of 45 minute sets, to get their sea legs back.

looks like it.

:D
    Yes that is correct on the sea legs. The tour I saw them on last fall they usually played 1 hr 30 min to 1 hr. 45 minute shows. I would love to see them average 2 hrs, but with the energy they have on stage, I don't know if that's possible. I think I would rather have a shorter show with that endless rocking than to tone it down a little and play a longer show. Obviously, they can't do a whole tour of shows like the Bonnaroo one, that's not human.
  • marino13 wrote:
    Obviously, they can't do a whole tour of shows like the Bonnaroo one, that's not human.

One night thing, got to remember, right.

Plus, that's right in their backyard, so...they turn it up a notch for Bonnaroo, I think too, since it's home.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I watched most of the webcast, and it was purely amazing!

The cover of The Who's Quick One was unreal!

These guys really made an impression on me opening for PJ. That's really saying something about their live shows considering I hadn't heard any of their stuff before seeing them. Arena's aren't exactly friendly to making a good impression if you haven't heard their stuff before; not exactly an intimate setting.

From what I've heard, there songs sound better live then they do on the record. I've only heard "Z" though, so I don't have too much basis to say that, just an initial impression I have had.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • That setlist is fucking surreal. My Morning Jacket has amazed me beyond words. I fucking love this band. Can't say enough!
    Just one very short set break and no self indulgent jamming where one guy plays for 5 min. while the rest go off stage. This was all business for over 3 hrs!

01. Wordless Chorus
    02. It Beats 4 U*
    03. What A Wonderful Man
    04. One Big Holiday
    05. Older Guys>>>#
    06. Head Held High@
    07. Lowdown*
    08. The Way That He Sings
    09. Masterplan
    10. At Dawn
    11. Golden
    12. Gideon*
    13. Xmas Curtain
    14. Dondante**
    15. Dancefloors
    16. Anytime
    17. Mahgeetah
    SETBREAK
    18. A Quick One$**
    19. Loving Cup>>>Easy Morning Rebel jam>>>%**
    20. Attitude^**
    21. Off The Record
    22. Lay Low
    23. The Dark
    24. The Bear*
    25. I Will Sing You Songs
    26. Heartbreakin' Man
    27. Evelyn Is Not Real**
    28. It's About Twilight Now
    29. It Makes No Difference
    30. PHONE WENT WEST**
    31. Run Thru

*With Andrew Bird
    **KC Guetig on Percussion, Mike Huh on guitar
    #Flying Burrito Bros.
    @Velvet Underground
    $The Who, first time played
    %Rolling Stones, first time played
    ^Misfits cover, first time played
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    marino13 wrote:
    Just one very short set break and no self indulgent jamming where one guy plays for 5 min. while the rest go off stage. This was all business for over 3 hrs!

01. Wordless Chorus
    02. It Beats 4 U*
    03. What A Wonderful Man
    04. One Big Holiday
    05. Older Guys>>>#
    06. Head Held High@
    07. Lowdown*
    08. The Way That He Sings
    09. Masterplan
    10. At Dawn
    11. Golden
    12. Gideon*
    13. Xmas Curtain
    14. Dondante**
    15. Dancefloors
    16. Anytime
    17. Mahgeetah
    SETBREAK
    18. A Quick One$**
    19. Loving Cup>>>Easy Morning Rebel jam>>>%**
    20. Attitude^**
    21. Off The Record
    22. Lay Low
    23. The Dark
    24. The Bear*
    25. I Will Sing You Songs
    26. Heartbreakin' Man
    27. Evelyn Is Not Real**
    28. It's About Twilight Now
    29. It Makes No Difference
    30. PHONE WENT WEST**
    31. Run Thru

*With Andrew Bird
    **KC Guetig on Percussion, Mike Huh on guitar
    #Flying Burrito Bros.
    @Velvet Underground
    $The Who, first time played
    %Rolling Stones, first time played
    ^Misfits cover, first time played

wow. that's impressive. awesome
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    And they ended it all with run thru what an absolute jam.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • they kicked everyone's ass. as soon as it's up on the archive, go check it out. Absolutely amazing shit
    "A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"- Mitch Hedberg
  • cobrahcobrah Posts: 29
    Don't think this was posted yet:

The complete MMJ Bonnaroo video webcast, in two parts.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3un39i
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6v70j

Enjoy.
  • bold99bold99 Posts: 17
    I've been a huge PJ for a long time, and i have to say MMJ is on their way, they are absolutely the best live shows i've seen in the past few years....Jim James energy is unmatched, go see them play a headline show in a smaller venue and you will be blown away, the opening slot for PJ didn't really do them justice.
  • bold99bold99 Posts: 17
    also a sidenote, i saw them perform with the Boston Pops a few weeks ago, pretty amazing stuff, they def had to tune it down a little, the drummer was playing electric drums, but some of the arrangements were awesome...epic stuff.