Options

Bonnaroo review

clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
edited June 2007 in Other Music
got back this morning and man o man it was special. got there thursday and saw the national and the whigs. bother were great. kings of leon and the roots played great sets with the roots really getting the dance parties going crazy. Tool was cool with Tom Morello playing with them. Cold War Kids were awesome sat. along with ben harper jamming and being powerful. Police were great. Sounhded great and Stewert Copeland is the pimp of all pimps. Too short of a set but still good. Of course the Flaming LIps ruled the festival. White Stripes rocked my dick off. Their new album is going to be classic. Wilco was my second favorite set of the weekend. The new material sounded great. Just an amazing weekend with great friends new and old.

Oh yeah, superjam was the best. should have been there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Hmm. Haha. I skipped out on the Police so I could be up front for The Flaming Lips and it was so worth it.

I think that The Decemberists, Ween and Wilco were in a close second to them.

Too tired now. I will review it properly tomorrow.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That is awesome i watched some of the sets from the webcast and it looked like a great time.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Wow, what a weekend!

Jon Paul Jones sat in with quite a few bands playing lots of Zeppelin. I saw him with Superjam, Ben Harper and Gov't Mule.

Lewis Black and Bob Weir also sat in with Mule and it was awesome! Lewis got hit in the head with a beer can and he gave it to the guy in the crowd - so funny : )

Not sure how much it costs, but if it's a cheap show go catch Gogol Bordello -such a good show.

and Tool - the best show I saw on the weekend - 3rd time seeing Tool and this one was over the top - just amazing!
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Got home from Bonnaroo a couple days ago and am still coughing up dust, but there were some great shows. White Stripes put on the best performance and should have been on the main stage. Wolfmother rocked (though I was disappointed John Paul Jones didn't join them for a song). The Flaming Lips put on a hell of a show, they passed out 1000's of laser pointers to the crowd (even far in back), never seen that many at once in my life. Ben Harper had a great set (too bad I had to miss Ween for that), it was fun watching everyone scramble to get something ready when he started playing "Burn One Down." Tool was a bit of a letdown, they tried jamming on a couple songs but Maynard sounded a little under the weather.

Had some trouble when I arrived. Just as I was nearing the miles long line to enter the campground, I was rear-ended. No one was seriously injured, but I had to scramble to get a rental to take in and drive home. The driver who towed my car drove me to Enterprise, but they were out of cars (and I couldn't get one to drive home anyway). A couple hippie ladies come in and tell me that Budget has cars, so the driver took me there and waited while I got the car. Then he unloaded my car so I could unpack it and pack the rental.

I still made it in, but it put a damper on the weekend, my wife kept fretting about it even though I told her each time we'd take care of things Monday. Now we're home recovering from the Bonnaflu, and I've received confirmation that my vehicle is a total loss. I've had the car less than 9 months, and now I don't think the compensation I'm going to get will be enough to pay off the loan.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    golly. i watched it for free on the internet. a lot of it was crap. noodle.......
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    golly. i watched it for free on the internet. a lot of it was crap. noodle.......

I'm sure the internet is just like being there...geez now I wish I stayed at home and saved $

Really, Roo was one of the best experiences I've had. If you like music and art I recommend going, even if you gotta drive to the other side of the country.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Forgot to mention in my last post that Ames made a poster for this year's Bonnaroo. They are selling them on their website, http://www.bigpopposters.com/
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    NeilJam wrote:
    Got home from Bonnaroo a couple days ago and am still coughing up dust,

Yeah, I've been sick since I got back, too. It sucks.

It's kind of funny- the first couple days I saw all these people walking around with those disposable face masks and I thought to myself, "what, did Michael Jackson start some sort of fashion trend I'm not aware of?". It didn't occur to me that they were for the dust until I was sitting watching a show and the lightbuld went off.

Ben Harper had a great set (too bad I had to miss Ween for that), it was fun watching everyone scramble to get something ready when he started playing "Burn One Down."

GOtta love when he said it was the most amount of smoke he's ever seen in an outdoor venue. I'm sure some of it was dust, but we can pretend.

And their 20min Dazed and Confused with JPJ was a highlight.

So was the Roots' version of Masters of War.

Sorry bout the car, dude. A couple years ago ours broke down on the way down (the clutch went out after my buddy forgot to downshift at the toll station) and we had to find a rental, too. Nothing like having problems before you even get there.

Actually, I have a story of my own from this year, too- I unrolled my tent to find out there was no poles. I had lent the ten to a friend last year and he apparently didn't put the poles back in the bag. So there we were without a tent. Thankfully our neighbors had one of those tents with detachable rooms, so they gave one to us. But for that 10 minutes or so when I realized I had no tent for 4 days, I was pretty fucking pissed.
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Was very close to going for Ween alone on this one... glad to hear you guys had a good time
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Yeah, Bonnaroo truly is all about the experience in itself... you can't just watch it at home and say it was crap (even though I only went last year mainly because Radiohead was main stage and didn't go this year because lineup wasn't as tight), but honestly, you have to be there no matter what... the people are all so chill, the atmosphere is just amazing... the sun brings such sweltering heat waves which fatigue you fast, but it's all drowned out by either the band you're there to see, or by just the atmosphere itself. Such an awesome experience, everyone should try it, haha, even if you do have to drive half-way across the states.

How far did everyone travel? Last year we traveled, I think around 1400 miles total... there was one highway that we were on for like 400 miles, it was hilarious.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Options
    I missed Ben Harper for Ween. I had to, although I heard that Ben did a good show. I just couldn't be bothered to miss Ween and Franz Ferdinand. I was also torn between those two, and I picked Ween. Which was amazing show (except the fact that there was so much dust I could not see the stage).

Some of the best shows I have seen were in the smaller tents. Annuals, Hot Chip, Toirtoise, The Black Keys. They were nice too because the tents had some nice shade. I am upset I missed Rodrigo y Gabriella, and Sasha and Digweed.

The best show I saw (hands down) was The Flaming Lips. There was so much energy, and they played for a long time and it was just beautiful. Granted it was my first time seeing them so I was also in awe. For the Flaming Lips I camped out and managed to be in 5th row. I missed the Police and I did not care.

Other fantastic shows were one by the Decemberists and one by Wilco. The Decemberists had a wonderful set. It was perfect for that time of day and Colin Meloy really knows how to make a crowd happy. Mavis Staples came out at the end of the set and they covered 'The Weight' by the Band. It was one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen in my entire life.

After the Decemberists show we ran over to Wilco, who had already started their set. We found a way to get front row everytime on What stage. All you had to do was walk up there. So here we are... last show of the weekend in fron row for Wilco, singing and dancing. It was a wonderful end to the weekend for us. Of course we heard Widespread from our campsite anyways.

Tool was really good but their set was too short. I can't blame people for not chanting for an encore. It was hot and I am sure everyone was exhausted by that point.

Other great shows I saw were: Old Crow Medicine Show, Sam Roberts, John Butler, The National.

Bands I saw that were just mediocre were: Ryan Shaw and Elvis Perkins. They just didn't impress me really.

It was a great weekend. The dust gave me an asthma attack on the friday night. It was shitty because I don't have asthma. Well, I didn't until then. It was very hot but very very very worth it. We were also in great company too. So that meant a lot.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Shot from the Lips Stage:

http://www.youtube.com/user/irreversibility

The Jet Threads of the Red Sun video is a great laser one too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    NeilJam wrote:
    Ben Harper had a great set (too bad I had to miss Ween for that)

see, that's one big thing i don't like about festivals... you have to make such choices.

but i still would have to loved to have gone. i had a crazy idea of building an earth oven to bake little swedish apple pies for everyone - i would have made a lot of friends i bet! :D
  • Options
    Tek Money, how many shows did you see? I had a plan to see about 20, but fell a few short from the heat. I saw 13 full shows and 2 parcial. Also saw bits and pieces of others, and heard a few from either the campsite or walking around but I won't count them.

Sounds like you were on a mission.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Here's what I saw:

Thursday:
    Black Angels- I love them. Awesome.
    The National- Passionate
    Rodrigo y Gabriela- Fucking amazing players.

Friday:
    Richard Thompson- Everyone should see him if they can. The guy's a legend.
    Gillian Welch- Fucking fantastic. JPJ came out and played mandolin on a couple tracks, and in a typical moment of Bonnaroo spontaneity, David Rawlings left the stage late in the set to see if JPJ would come back out for the encore. He did, and they all did Jackson. A highlight of the entire fest for me.
    The Roots- Amazing show.
    Tool- I have to admit I really got into it. I vividly remember in the first few minutes Maynard creepily stalking around on that podium of his, with his legs spread and his arms in the air, and to me it was just the coolest visual, and I think it set the stage for me to get more into the show as it went on. As soon as the lasers came out, I was immersed. Seeing Morello come out and play with them was great, too.
    SuperJam- Caught only the first hour or so, saw them do When The Levee Breaks and a couple others. I saw more live Led Zeppelin this weekend than I'd ever dreamed I would.
    STS9- Stopped by there for about a 1/2 hour or so and got into what I saw. Always worth checking out.
    DJ Shadow- Good set, and I like how he mashed his songs together. A perfect end to the night.

Saturday
    Ziggy Marley- Fun fun fun.
    Ben Harper & TIC- I'd never seen them, so I skipped Ween to stay at the main stage. Seeing a lengthy jam with JPJ on Dazed & Confused made it worth it.
    The Police- If I had to pick a worst I'd say the Police, but I wouldn't rate it any less than "good". You could tell they're still getting used to playing together again, and that to Sting this was just another show, but their set was solid and I got into it far more than I ever thought I would.
    Girl Talk- God, this was so great. Someone told me I had to go to this, and I am so glad I did. Another highight of the whole weekend for me.
    Flaming Lips- Meh, I'd pretty much seen it all before. It's still great, but wasn't anything surprising, at least what I saw, so I left.
    Gov't Mule- Caught the Since I've Been Loving You part of the set. Again, more Led Zep than I'd ever dreamed I'd hear. So awesome. I was pretty beat by then, so I left by 2 or so.

Sunday
    T-Bone Burnett- He had Jim Keltner and Marc Ribot with him, so that was surprising and awesome. Great show.
    The Decmberists- Only caught the first hour, but it was fucking great. Hopefully I can see them proper.
    Feist- I think a little too mellow for the Roo crowd that showed up, but I liked it. In the last part of the set a fan jumped on stage and grabbed a tambourine and started playing along. The crowd ate it up, and she told security it was OK. Which was cool.
    The White Stripes- Just plain great. I'm not a big fan of theirs, but I will *always* check them out live.
    Widespread- 4 hours of straight jam r'n'r. Nothing terribly noteworthy (to me anyway), but a nice way to end the festival.
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Tek Money, how many shows did you see? I had a plan to see about 20, but fell a few short from the heat. I saw 13 full shows and 2 parcial. Also saw bits and pieces of others, and heard a few from either the campsite or walking around but I won't count them.

Sounds like you were on a mission.

I saw 18 bands and 1 comedy show. I was ready to see 23 but the heat was horrible and the fucking people searching everyone at the gate made me miss Cold War Kids!!! At least I heard them though. We had a portable cooler and lots of water.

I was on a mission to have so much fun. And I did. :)
    Cock Fight.