From a Compound Eye, Normal Happiness, etc, etc.

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited September 2006 in Other Music
In light of the new Robert Pollard record leaking, I started listening to his last solo record, FaCE, again.

let it be known that this is possibly the best record hes ever made. It's fucking epic. I didn't really harp on it all that much when it came out, but I felt the need to let everyone know.

any GBV fan should download this/buy it immediately. It's unbelievable.

Normal Happiness is a good follow up also. It's all two minute breezy pop songs, not that different from the really early GBV records. (Forever Since Breakfast comes to mind.)

there's not enough Pollard love around here.

on another note, tour dates:

NOVEMBER
9- Bloomington, IN- Bluebird
10- Chicago, IL- The Abbey Pub
11- Dayton, OH- The Foundry
12- off
13- NYC- Bowery Ballroom
14- Philadelphia, PA- World Café Live
15- Baltimore, MD- Sonar
16- off
17- Boston, MA- Paradise-
18- Northampton, MA- Pearl Street

by all means try and catch one of these shows. word from the inside is there's a possibilty that this will be his last tour.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It would be an enourmous loss to the rock world if Uncle Bob stopped touring.

...and of course he isn't playing anywhere near me.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Ok, I just got this after it was languishing under the 'Total Gamble' list for months. I'll spin it a few times tomorrow.
  • transplant wrote:
    Ok, I just got this after it was languishing under the 'Total Gamble' list for months. I'll spin it a few times tomorrow.

it took about 6 months to grow on me...so just give it time. it's pretty overwhelming at first.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    StoneG82 wrote:
    it took about 6 months to grow on me...so just give it time. it's pretty overwhelming at first.
    I would expect nothing less.
  • transplant wrote:
    I would expect nothing less.

that's the beauty of Bob's music. The first time I heard GBV, I hated them. i didn't get it. The first time I heard FaCE, I hated it.

once his records finally sink in, well, look out. his records are otherworldly. especially FaCE.
  • can't wait for this new album and tour - definitely checking him out in philly!

i did like face, but there were just too many downpoints. how is his older solo stuff?

the crazy thing about him/gbv is he'll retire, but there are so many albums you can always go and pick one up even if there is nothing new
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • can't wait for this new album and tour - definitely checking him out in philly!

i did like face, but there were just too many downpoints. how is his older solo stuff?

the crazy thing about him/gbv is he'll retire, but there are so many albums you can always go and pick one up even if there is nothing new

I don't think Pollard is ever going to stop making records. when they were on the FaCE tour, he said he already had the follow up to Normal Happiness recorded. the man just does not stop.
    StoneG82 wrote:
    well it took about 4 spins. there is fantastic stuff on here. Songs like US Mustard Company are pop perfection.

Tracks 4 thru 10 are probably the best, he takes a break and comes back around track 16 and gets it going again. I have quite a bit of Pollard to catch up on.
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    In light of the new Robert Pollard record leaking, I started listening to his last solo record, FaCE, again.

let it be known that this is possibly the best record hes ever made. It's fucking epic. I didn't really harp on it all that much when it came out, but I felt the need to let everyone know.

any GBV fan should download this/buy it immediately. It's unbelievable.

Normal Happiness is a good follow up also. It's all two minute breezy pop songs, not that different from the really early GBV records. (Forever Since Breakfast comes to mind.)

FYI for those that don't already know, Normal Happiness will come with a bonus live CD of the set Bob played when he opened for PJ in Cinci. You just have to pick it up from an independent record store, or order online from Luna Music, or directly from Merge.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • transplant wrote:
    well it took about 4 spins. there is fantastic stuff on here. Songs like US Mustard Company are pop perfection.

Tracks 4 thru 10 are probably the best, he takes a break and comes back around track 16 and gets it going again. I have quite a bit of Pollard to catch up on.

I absolutely love the 4th side:

A Boy In Motion
    Denied
    Lightshow
    I'm A Strong Lion
    Payment For The Babies
    Kingdom Without
    Recovering

what a great ending.

you can stream Normal Happiness here:
    http://www.mergerecords.com/

scroll down until you find the banner.