Tonight's the Night

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited January 2007 in Other Music
man oh man. There are times when I feel like this is the greatest album ever recorded. 5 or 6 guys getting trashed and singing out of tune.

does it get any more real than that?

I hope some day Neil releases the original record with the drunken raps in between songs and all that.

From what I've read in Shakey, the live shows from this period were astounding as well. Unfortunately I don't think many recordings exist, although I'm dying to get my hands on one.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    One of my favs by neil. This album is dark and awesome. You can tell he is way fucked up when he is doing borrowed tune.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    bruce berry was a workin' man

he used to load that econoline van.......
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    brain of c wrote:
    bruce berry was a workin' man

he used to load that econoline van.......

that IS a classic line ! ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    here's a funny story from Shakey regarding the ridiculous stage set up on the TTN tour:

"There was this guy who had an arts and crafts store on Santa Monica. Neil said, 'God, look at that wooden Indian - that would be cool on our stage.' So we went down there, cut the chain and left a note: 'We stole your wooden Indian. If you want your money, come to the Roxy.' The Indian ended up onstage with a Gibson Explorer around his neck. At various points in the show, Young would talk to him. Before the first Roxy show, a woozy Ben Keith (slide player) staggered over to Foster, pointed to the Indian and said, "Tell that guy to turn up. I can't hear him."
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ha ha. you are studying real hard, eh?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    My friend got me this for X-mas, on the phone he said it was "Eddie Vedder approved". Haven't had time to really get into it yet should listen to it in the car tomorrow. good idea thanks guys
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    My friend got me this for X-mas, on the phone he said it was "Eddie Vedder approved". Haven't had time to really get into it yet should listen to it in the car tomorrow. good idea thanks guys
    Anything with Neil's name on it is approved by all.

Except Trans :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336

So true.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Tonight is the night is one of my favs neil´s albums...it´s showing his real state of mind in those days...as he always do
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

or the horrible do-wop album for the early 1980's....that was an attempt to get the record company to drop him.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    or the horrible do-wop album for the early 1980's....that was an attempt to get the record company to drop him.
    hahaha I didn't know about that one.

I have to assume Trans was for the same reason. Mmm.. more boring computer drumbeats neil, please. :p

"Make our day"
    yeah....stay away from pretty much any record Neil put out in the 80's.

except Freedom - that was a good one.
  • actually trans was more about him trying to get into his son ben's state of mind. ben has severe cerebral palsy, and he was really young when neil did trans. neil and his wife had ben in an intensive, 16 hour a day program, and neil's musical output suffered during this period as a result.

trans is, well, "more to the picture than meets the eye"
    I see.

There are good songs on the album actually ("Transformer Man" from the Unplugged show, for instance, is beautiful) but the drum machines and other things like that really make it unlistenable to me. Unlistenable in the sense that pretty much everything else he does is at such a high level that "Trans" pales in comparison.

"Make our day"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    StoneG82 wrote:
    here's a funny story from Shakey regarding the ridiculous stage set up on the TTN tour:

"There was this guy who had an arts and crafts store on Santa Monica. Neil said, 'God, look at that wooden Indian - that would be cool on our stage.' So we went down there, cut the chain and left a note: 'We stole your wooden Indian. If you want your money, come to the Roxy.' The Indian ended up onstage with a Gibson Explorer around his neck. At various points in the show, Young would talk to him. Before the first Roxy show, a woozy Ben Keith (slide player) staggered over to Foster, pointed to the Indian and said, "Tell that guy to turn up. I can't hear him."

Great story.:D I bought this last night and will listen to it tonight with some wine and hippie lettuce.;)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    am i the only one that thought of Rod Stewart when i read the thread title???? :)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Lizard wrote:
    am i the only one that thought of Rod Stewart when i read the thread title???? :)

Nope, me too. Thank god I was wrong.;):)
    if you really want to get into you should listen to it at about 3 am, with the substance(s) of your choice.

neil would recommend tequila and honeyslides, btw!

the stories in Shakey regarding the recording of TTN and On the Beach are fascinating. For TTN, the band sat around drinking tequila and smoking copious amounts of pot until they were just hammered enough to play music. On the Beach was when they discovered honey slides.....frying a pound of weed until it began to smoke and then adding honey, sucking it down by the spoonful.

apparently the results were hypnotizing....just listen to On the Beach. You can tell they were in a totally transfixed state of mind.

by the way, I can't recommend Shakey enough for any Neil fans. It's totally essential.