SMC - The National - Alligator

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited October 2006 in Other Music
hey guys.....I just discovered this record a few months ago. At first I didn't like it, but over time it grew to be one of favorite records. This band never gets talked about around these parts so I figured most of you haven't heard them.

here's what popmatters had to say:

"Musically, there's a mix and match approach to much of Alligator that works quite well. The band excels at establishing a mood and then playing within the dynamics of the song to keep things constantly moving and fresh. Drummer Bryan Devendorf is key to these shifts, and is one of the most musical drummers I've heard in some time. Not just content to stay in the pocket, Devendorf establishes the beat and then further explores the tonalities of the drums as an instrument in a manner that is sorely lacking in most rock music. His style is more akin to a jazz drummer's finesse. Add guitars that strangely evoke double time country-style picking and Cure-style bass, and I can't for the life of me see how it could be called "uninspiring" and "supremely unlikeable". Songs like the piano-driven "Karen" and the chamber-pop of "The Geese of Beverly Road" contain some classic pop songwriting with a decidedly darker spin on things, while the heartbreaking two-fer of "Val Jester" and "Daughters of the SoHo Riots" contrast the more boisterous tracks like the Westerberg-sounding "Abel" and climactic album closer "Mr. November". Alligator covers a lot of sonic territory, yet still manages to hold it all together to make a fine, cohesive long player.

I should also point out that while the National are considered a "Brooklyn" band, all of its members hail from Cincinnati, Ohio, and don't really stylistically have much in common with Interpol, the Walkmen, or any other bands from the Williamsburg scene. For one thing, the band has a sly sense of self-effacing humor and a good grasp of social irony that is far more intelligent than say, the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs for example. To lump them in with these bands is kind of misleading and not representative of what the band is doing on Alligator.

Finally, I find Matt Berninger's voice to be warm, rich, and somewhat evocative of Leonard Cohen, and I feel it's a good analogy to use in trying to explain what Berninger and the National are all about. Lyrically, Berninger is mining similar territory to Cohen's, and while the band is seemingly open to any influence, I keep hearing the first two Psychedelic Furs albums as the foundation of the band's sound. Call me crazy.

Alligator is one of those albums that slowly dawns on you. Given half a chance, it's ultimately a very rewarding listening experience that I predict will continue to grow in stature as time passes."

people seem to love it or hate it. it's a huge grower though, and from my experience took a few spins before it really jumped out at me. "Daughters of the SoHo Riots" is my current favorite track. It's a beautiful piece of music.

I hope you guys like it.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It is definately a grower. I know there are some weak songs on it, and a fair amount of weak lyrics (or at least ones that are obviously intended to resonate, and don't resonate with me at all). I like it though,. The very opening riff is nice, and "Sons And Daughters of The Soho Riot" is a great tune.

The thing is, I just bought a few new death metal albums so it will be a while before I get around to this.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I actually got this a few months ago as well. It starts off very strong. I don't know what happens after the 7th or 8th track, however I will take this opportunity to hit hard the last half of this CD and see if it was the songs or I just felt like listening to something else (which happens quite often).

good pick.
  • pretty solid album, but i prefer sad songs for dirty lovers
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • great album and great band live. I hated alligator at first, but grew to love it.

fav song: geese of beverly road
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    gonna' check it. thanks, stoneg...

;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    geeze I didn't know most of you had heard this already

transplant, There's some really great tracks towards the end of the record. "Mr November" is one of my favorites, as well as "the Geese of Beverly Road".
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    geeze I didn't know most of you had heard this already

i was counting down the days until it came out after i got done with "sad songs..". you should check that one out.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • What a coincidence! I ALSO picked this up earlier this year, and I remember enjoying it. I pulled it back out, and I seem to want to skip a few songs, since I feel that the direction of the music gets lost here and there. The voice is very Tindersticks-ish to me, but a little weaker compared to them, but I like it when it hits the right spots. The music is beautiful, though, and I really enjoy the first half of this album. Lovely guitar arrangements. On the latter half, I don't know about you guys, but I like "Abel". Maybe because he's screaming "My mind's not right". lol ;) Sounds almost like a UK band at some points, but very NY at the same time, even if that doesn't mean shit. lol Anyway, the band is pretty tight, and some of the moods that they create are indeed good. Great pick, StoneG82!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i was counting down the days until it came out after i got done with "sad songs..". you should check that one out.

I'll get on that!
    StoneG82 wrote:
    "Mr November" is one of my favorites
    ok that is one hell of a track.

hmm, sad songs deserves a listen.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i've listened to all of their material now, save for a few b-sides, and can say that all of it is at the very least, very good. been burning a hole in their cherry tree ep from playing it so much. also got alligator on vinyl in the mail today from insound (which is becoming hard to find now btw) so i can't wait to finish off the nite with great music, a few crackles, and just burn away...
  • rucchinrucchin Posts: 25
    I saw the national live and they were really good. The songs off of Aligator take on a new edgier life live.
    Check out the pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnforte/sets/72057594141782265/

AngryCitizen.org
    like it alot so far, stoneg... is #3 about me? ;) have to give this a few listens to make any in depth comments.
    How great is Daughters of the Soho Riots?
    transplant wrote:
    How great is Daughters of the Soho Riots?

awesome!! i dig this pick ! i need to listen to it a few more times.... don't know which tunes are my faves.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I fell a little behind, but I have listened to a couple songs off this so far and it's pretty good. I'll put in a good listening session soon.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Thousand apologies for not writing earlier. :o

I like the simplicity of the record...its lo-fi without trying to be minimalistic. I get what burnin-candle is saying that it sounds like a UK band but also like a New York band. I do hear some Lou Reed in the singer's voice...you know that detached vocal style. "Looking for Astronauts" is highly intoxicating...I'd love to listen to it late at night when I'm slightly buzzed. Does anyone else think the beginning of "Mr. November" sounds like the Song remains the Same by Led Zep ?
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate