Jeff Tweedy solo DVD news

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Nonesuch Records will release Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, a performance DVD by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, on October 24. The disc includes performances and conversations gathered over five nights on Tweedy’s February 2006 solo acoustic tour, with footage from concerts at Seattle’s Moore Theater, Portland’s Crystal Ballroom, Eugene’s McDonald Theater, Arcata’s Humboldt State University, and The Fillmore in San Francisco. The film was directed by Christoph Green and Fugazi’s Brendan Canty, the creators of the documentary series Burn to Shine.

“I wanted this to feel how the tour felt to me,” said filmmaker Christoph Green, “…a chaptered flow down the west coast, showing the isolated bleakness you encounter when you travel quickly from one place to another, and then contrasting that with the experience at the shows—the gathering of people and the sense of community that is created night after night.

The audio tracks of all the songs featured on the DVD also will be available for anyone who purchases Sunken Treasure to download for free. This continues Wilco’s own tradition of regularly giving music to its fans via the Internet. In 2003 Wilco and Nonesuch made the More Like the Moon EP available for free download to anyone who had purchased YHF, and in 2005, they again made an EP of rare and live recordings available for free to anyone who had purchased A ghost is born, the band’s 2004 release.

During live solo performances, Tweedy draws from 200-plus songs with no particular set list in mind. The songs featured on the DVD feature music from Tweedy’s three bands: Uncle Tupelo, Wilco and Loose Fur. There is also one previously unreleased track, “The Thanks I Get.” Wilco percussionist Glenn Kotche and guitarist Nels Cline, who opened for him on the February tour, also make guest appearances in Sunken Treasure, accompanying Tweedy on several songs.

The DVD will be available for pre-order on the webstore in September.

Full track listing: Sunken Treasure, Theologians, The Ruling Class, How to Fight Loneliness, Summerteeth, The Thanks I Get, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, ELT, Shot in the Arm, In a Future Age, Laminated Cat, (Was I) In Your Dreams, Airline to Heaven, Heavy Metal Drummer, War on War.

http://wilcoworld.net/news/index.php
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow... while I'm very excited since Wilco is probably my second favorite band, what's up with only 15 songs? Jeff's solo shows on average are WAY longer than that.

Very strange.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Wow... while I'm very excited since Wilco is probably my second favorite band, what's up with only 15 songs? Jeff's solo shows on average are WAY longer than that.

Very strange.

I'm pretty sure it's a documentary with other footage and interviews.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Fan-freakin'-tastic news, this is.

Just got my tickets for the Oct. 15 Wilco show in my hometown of Wichita, KS. The show is in the building where my high school prom was held. How sweet is that? After that, I'll be able to pick up this DVD. October is going to be a good month.
    rock chalk
    sweet i'm seeing wilco on october 20th

greatest live band around today
  • you can watch the preview at http://www.wilcoworld.net
  • That's going to be awesome. It'll be interesting to hear the Loose Fur stuff too - Laminated Cat, yeah!

Saw Jeff last night with the Golden Smog - bit of a surprise since he was (purposely?) left off all the advertising for the show. Amazing show - 2 1/2 hours...Bowie covers...just great to see all the guys together again!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    comes out today. the cheapest place i've seen it priced so far is Circuit City for 15.99. I'm headed there at lunch :)

anyone off today check it out already? any early reviews?

I'll be back late tonight or early tomorrow with one :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Got it yesterday from the local record shop and watched it as soon as I got home from work. As I expected, it's a really well done film. Tweedy is very insightful. There are some good jokes in there.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
    Got it yesterday from the local record shop and watched it as soon as I got home from work. As I expected, it's a really well done film. Tweedy is very insightful. There are some good jokes in there.
    Does he slap anyone in the face???

Just kidding. That hole thing with him and the guy onstage was overblown.

I'm excited to see this tonight :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    intodeep wrote:
    Does he slap anyone in the face???

Just kidding. That hole thing with him and the guy onstage was overblown.

I'm excited to see this tonight :)

ha ha d : what are your thoughts on it???
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I just bought this today and it's amazing.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    It is really cool. I watched it last night and dug it a lot. I love seeing an artist in a stripped down setting. It is cool that Jeff is down to earth and does not mind showing his mistakes. He messes up lyrics and playing a couple songs and makes a joke out of it with the crowd. He gives the impression of these shows being very intimate. It shows footage from about 4 or 5 shows either about 4 songs from each stop in between each new show Jeff talks a little usually back stage while strumming Guitar so that is cool.

He talks a lot of shit to the crowd (ie shut up while i'm playing) but does it in a joking manner that is quite funny. Lots of great little jeffisms on the dvd. for instance This one girl screams out marry me Jefff and he just holds up his wedding ring so everyone can see. "thank you but i'm happily married.... and trust me it woudl be hell for you anyway.." :D thought that was funny

Great setlist. Mostly wilco songs. Lots of summerteeth songs only one AGIB song but i'm sure he is so sick of those songs they have been touring non stop with thos for like 3 years now. YHF has a few good ones. Even pulled out a couple Loose Fur and old Uncle Tupelo songs which i thought was awesome. Plus an unreleased song the thanks i get which i think is a perfect pop song . Also glenn Kotchie (wilco drummer) and Nels Cline (wilco guitarist extrodinare) play on about 4 songs towards the end with him.

Evidently when you buy the DVD you can put it in your computer and go online and download all the tracks so you have the perfomance on MP3 as well which is awesome but i can't seem to get it to work for me yet....

I think if you are a wilco fan this is an awesome purchase. It shows jeff being very open and Candid. Some very funny interactions with jeff and the crowd and it seems like these performances were very honest which i loved :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    That's going to be awesome. It'll be interesting to hear the Loose Fur stuff too - Laminated Cat, yeah!

Saw Jeff last night with the Golden Smog - bit of a surprise since he was (purposely?) left off all the advertising for the show. Amazing show - 2 1/2 hours...Bowie covers...just great to see all the guys together again!

Laminated Cat was very good :) Glenn played that with him if i remember correctly.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Excellent...I'm going to pick it up tonight!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    I've watched about half of it...(up through "Is this the Thanks I Get?") and it's pretty great so far. The crowds are horrible and Jeff has to tell them to shut the fuck up (literally) quite a few times.

That scene backstage with Jeff singing "Satan your Kingdom Must Come Down" gave me chills.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    where is everyone picking this up? I went to a Streetside Records over my lunch break today and they didn't know anything about it. WTF?
    rock chalk
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I've watched about half of it...(up through "Is this the Thanks I Get?") and it's pretty great so far. The crowds are horrible and Jeff has to tell them to shut the fuck up (literally) quite a few times.

That scene backstage with Jeff singing "Satan your Kingdom Must Come Down" gave me chills.
    I'm not familar with that song but i know which one you are talking about from that CD what album is that song from ? Is it a cover?

jhawk98- I picked mine up at Circuit City for 14.99 that is the cheapest i have seen it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm not familar with that song but i know which one you are talking about from that CD what album is that song from ? Is it a cover?

jhawk98- I picked mine up at Circuit City for 14.99 that is the cheapest i have seen it.

it's off an uncle tupelo record:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hm6atr89kl2x

I believe it's an old tradional folk song they covered....I'm not really sure of it's origins.
    you can now download the songs...insert your DVD and they are in the extras section.

the sound is fantastic...."satan your kingdom must come down" is included too....

sweeeet.
    Awesome. Thank you!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    "Black Eye" brings me to tears.

I love this DVD. I wasn't expecting it to be like this at all.

it's quality.
  • I finally got this yesterday. So awesome! Jeff's really evolved as a performer - he's so talkative now. I like it :)

Question though, what's "The Thanks I Get"? Is that new?
    I finally got this yesterday. So awesome! Jeff's really evolved as a performer - he's so talkative now. I like it :)

Question though, what's "The Thanks I Get"? Is that new?

yes the thanks i get is a unrealeased song
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22