Tom Waits in Akron last night

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Saw Tom in akron last night....amazing. I'm totally speechless. here's an attempt at the setlist:

Make It Rain
Hoist That Rag
Shore Leave
Dead And Lovely
God’s Away On Business
Falling Down
Tango Til They’re Sore
Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
Tom Traubert’s Blues
Til the Money Runs Out/Howlin’ Wolf song
Whats He Building
Eyeball Kid (Larry Taylor and Casey Waits beatboxing, was pretty cool)
Murder In The Red Barn
Trampled Rose
Lost At The Bottom Of The World
Shake It

Day After Tomorrow
Lie To Me Baby
Get Behind The Mule

Clap Hands
Sins Of The Father

I'm really surprised he played Falling Down. That's my favorite Waits song. really made my night. God's Away On Business was ultimately the highlight for me though. They rushed through it like it was the end of the world. It sounded like a complete frenzy. (in a good way, that is.) Tom Traubert's Blues and Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis were both beautiful and heartbreaking. What's He Building was hilarious. Tom even managed to say "i bet my left nut he spent a little time in jail...." I don't really like Shake It on the record but they changed it around live and it's a monster. Tom introduced the band and then left the stage while the band finished out the song.

Day After Tomorrow was truly a beautiful performance. the interaction between Tom and the crowd after the protest lines gave me chills. I'm still baffled as to why he chose Sins of the Father to close out the show, but oh well. I was thinking something more along the lines of Singapore or Goin Out West. All in all it was a brilliant show. Quite possibly the best show I've ever seen. Tom Waits is not human.

Jim Jarmusch was there, and I could have sworn I saw Kyp Malone from TV on the Radio. (or some other black guy with a huge afro, beard, and square glasses. My friend insists that it wasn't him)
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Saw him twice last night!!!
    he was great!
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Saw Tom in akron last night....amazing. I'm totally speechless. here's an attempt at the setlist:

Make It Rain
    Hoist That Rag
    Shore Leave
    Dead And Lovely
    God’s Away On Business
    Falling Down
    Tango Til They’re Sore
    Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
    Tom Traubert’s Blues
    Til the Money Runs Out/Howlin’ Wolf song
    Whats He Building
    Eyeball Kid (Larry Taylor and Casey Waits beatboxing, was pretty cool)
    Murder In The Red Barn
    Trampled Rose
    Lost At The Bottom Of The World
    Shake It

Day After Tomorrow
    Lie To Me Baby
    Get Behind The Mule

Clap Hands
    Sins Of The Father

I'm really surprised he played Falling Down. That's my favorite Waits song. really made my night. God's Away On Business was ultimately the highlight for me though. They rushed through it like it was the end of the world. It sounded like a complete frenzy. (in a good way, that is.) Tom Traubert's Blues and Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis were both beautiful and heartbreaking. What's He Building was hilarious. Tom even managed to say "i bet my left nut he spent a little time in jail...." I don't really like Shake It on the record but they changed it around live and it's a monster. Tom introduced the band and then left the stage while the band finished out the song.

Day After Tomorrow was truly a beautiful performance. the interaction between Tom and the crowd after the protest lines gave me chills. I'm still baffled as to why he chose Sins of the Father to close out the show, but oh well. I was thinking something more along the lines of Singapore or Goin Out West. All in all it was a brilliant show. Quite possibly the best show I've ever seen. Tom Waits is not human.

Jim Jarmusch was there, and I could have sworn I saw Kyp Malone from TV on the Radio. (or some other black guy with a huge afro, beard, and square glasses. My friend insists that it wasn't him)
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • that looks like it kicked major butt!!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I am so incredibly jealous.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    he's awesome.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    In my opinion - the greatest singer songwiter ever...

SOOOOOO jealous.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    considering the setlists from last week, falling down, dead and lovely, christmas card and tom traubert in the same show is just sick. unfair to all the previous audiences. and twice in one night? there's not even a word for that. i couldn't be more jealous.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Tom Waits has to be the most enigmatic performer in music today. He totally controls the audience. His movements and hand gestures are absolutely mesmerizing.

it felt like forever waiting for him before the show. then the lights went down. place goes crazy. the band walked out one by one and started Make It Rain. Suddenly you see this giant shadow walk up towards the curtains....he stands there for a few seconds with his arms outstretched like some sort of crooked Jesus. then he walks out and starts singing. the theatre erupted. I was totally in awe the entire time.

I'd give anything to relive that feeling. it is truly a once in a lifetime occasion.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I'd give anything to relive that feeling. it is truly a once in a lifetime occasion.
    I feel the same way. Waits could even make the sound of stomping his boot on the ground sound poetic. you felt that everyone in the crowd was on the same page, everyone there was in awe. It was surreal. I got to hear Innocent When You Dream and it was like an out of body experience.

I love Hoist that Rag