Love is Hell: The perfect winter album.

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Every winter, I go through a music phase my friends and I call "the cold sound". Bands like Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams, Wilco, Modest Mouse, etc. All of these bands have albums that have the "cold sound", but the perfect winter album goes to:

1) Ryan Adams - Love is Hell

2) Radiohead - OK Computer

3) Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

4) The Arcade Fire - Funeral

5) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

6) Guided by Voices - Half Smiles of the Decomposed

7) The Wrens - The Meadowlands

8) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

EDIT: 9) David Gray - Life in Slow Motion (I can't believe I forgot this album the first time around)

what are some of your favorite "winter" albums?
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I thought I was one of the only ones who thought an album could have a 'winter' type feel to it. My top winter album is Futures by Jimmy Eat World. I love that album(their best) and have recently been listening to it a lot. I really can't think of any others I have that would qualify right now though.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • my top 8:

1 frank sinatra-any and all lol

2 Damien rice- O

3 The Beatles-revolver

4 The arcade Fire-funeral

5 Chris Cornell-Euphoria Morning

6 Broken soctial scean- feel good lost

7 Counting Crows-recovering the satelites

8 Deftones-white pony
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Love Is Hell definitely deserves a place among winter albums, but I think actually my ultimate winter record has to be Sigur Ros' ().
    Here goes my list in no particular order;

Sigur Ros - ()
    Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
    Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands
    The Mission UK - Children
    Suzanne Vega - s/t
    Bjork - Vespertine
    Human Drama -Songs of Betrayal
    Christina Rosenvinge - Frozen Pool
    Magazine - Secondhand Daylight (late fall, early winter)
    Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • "one way ticket to hell...and back" by the darkness is the ultimate winter album!!!!!!!
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    barcoach wrote:
    I think actually my ultimate winter record has to be Sigur Ros' ().

totally agree.

i would add the following:

any godspeed you! black emperor

any explosions in the sky

as for albums with lyrics i think beck's sea change is a good one for cold nights or snowy afternoons.
  • the only time i ever listen to the White Album is during the winter
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • I've seen a few mentions of The Arcade Fire. Can anyone tell me if I'd like it if I like Franz Ferdinand or is it something different than that? I'm kind of curious but don't want to spend $12 for a CD I wouldn't like.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    I've seen a few mentions of The Arcade Fire. Can anyone tell me if I'd like it if I like Franz Ferdinand or is it something different than that? I'm kind of curious but don't want to spend $12 for a CD I wouldn't like.

uh...very different the franz ferdinand...they sound like wilco meets the flaming lips.
  • sevensins wrote:
    uh...very different the franz ferdinand...they sound like wilco meets the flaming lips.

Never really heard either of those, heard of them though. Guess I'll have to fish around and see if I can come up with something to make a judgement.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • buy their album. You won't regret it.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    bluemonkey wrote:
    "one way ticket to hell...and back" by the darkness is the ultimate winter album!!!!!!!
    maybe the worst and dumbest song ive ever heard. someone should start a thread on that subject since i dont know how. the darkness sucks out loud
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    maybe the worst and dumbest song ive ever heard. someone should start a thread on that subject since i dont know how. the darkness sucks out loud

Nah, we like to talk about good music, they don't deserve a thread here.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Every winter, I go through a music phase my friends and I call "the cold sound". Bands like Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams, Wilco, Modest Mouse, etc. All of these bands have albums that have the "cold sound", but the perfect winter album goes to:

1) Ryan Adams - Love is Hell

2) Radiohead - OK Computer

3) Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

4) The Arcade Fire - Funeral

5) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

6) Guided by Voices - Half Smiles of the Decomposed

7) The Wrens - The Meadowlands

8) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

what are some of your favorite "winter" albums?
    by cold sound, do you mean dull and boring sound? if so i agree. at least with 1,2,3, and 5. the rest i havent heard of
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    by cold sound, do you mean dull and boring sound? if so i agree. at least with 1,2,3, and 5. the rest i havent heard of

well, thats not really what I meant at all. The "cold sound" is an album that makes you feel lonely, isolated . . . it sets a certain mood. It's hard to explain.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    correct answers are Kid A and Christine Fellow's Paper anniversary
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    well, thats not really what I meant at all. The "cold sound" is an album that makes you feel lonely, isolated . . . it sets a certain mood. It's hard to explain.

Best way I can explain it is it gets you thinking. It's the type of album you can pop in, turn the lights low or even off and sit back and soak it in. You don't necessarily have to be depressed or lonely but isolated is a good word.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I guess it's that time of year again.

I can't get the new Tom Waits box set out of my player, as well as:

the new Bonnie Prince Billy

going through an Arcade Fire phase again

Kid A, OK Comp...usual winter suspects.

kdpjam was right, Red House Painters are perfect for winter.
  • I have different tastes in winter too...

My Winter albums...

1. Anything by Tom Waits

2. How to dismantle an atomic bomb - u2

3. Up - REM

4. Garden State soundtrack

5. The Smiths back catalouge
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I thought I was one of the only ones who thought an album could have a 'winter' type feel to it. My top winter album is Futures by Jimmy Eat World. I love that album(their best) and have recently been listening to it a lot. I really can't think of any others I have that would qualify right now though.

that is a great album. it's no clarity though ;)
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Props to Cropduster84 for REM Up, brillant record, my picks would be anything solo by Mark Lanegan and because it really does fit every mood, Born to Run
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I really get going w/ the listening sessions in the winter... not on the computer but the full-size stereo. Joy Division is one band that's particularly good for the winter months.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Great topic! I know EXACTLY what you mean by a "winter" record -- I have quite a few that do the same for me! Here they are:

1) David Gray - Life in Slow Motion (more than any album, this one epitomizes the mood you're referring to in this thread)

2) R.E.M. - Up (most beautiful album of all-time)

3) R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

4) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5) Damien Rice - O

6) Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine and Tidal

7) Anything by the Decemberists

8) Travis - The Invisible Band

9) Jeff Buckley - Grace

10) David Gray - White Ladder
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • any ryan adams is a great winter album. or fall. or summer. or spring. :)
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times