Info on the next release in the Neil Young AP series

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited March 2007 in Other Music
A record of a homecoming is on the way home. Material culled from a pair of Neil Young solo concerts at Toronto's Massey Hall almost 36 years ago is set for a March release. Previously available in bootleg form as Going Back to Canada, the live album captures an enigmatic singer-songwriter at his career's early creative peak.

full article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070116.YOUNG16/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh man I hope "Helpless" is on this baby!

Great news!
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Whats weird is that a soundboard copy of the early show from this surfaced just last year. Sounds great, but odd that it would show up just before it gets released as part of the Archives release.

Helpless should be on there, it was played at both the early and late show.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    you know this is very cool, but i want a box set.... lets get it all at once

ok that is just the selfish me talking i'm really happy to hear it, but it would be cool to get it all in one nice big package.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=204036

Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall" Set for Release March 13th
    The 1971 Concert Is the Second Album in Performance Series
    BURBANK, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- January 17, 2007 -- On January 19, 1971, Neil Young performed at Massey Hall in Toronto, Canada. In many ways, this was a major homecoming event. He had left Canada in 1966, soon becoming a member of Buffalo Springfield in Los Angeles, then recording his self-titled debut solo album in 1968. That was followed by "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" with Crazy Horse, then Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's "Déjà vu" in 1970 and his best-selling album "After The Gold Rush." By the time Young came back to Canada for the Massey Hall concert, he had become one of the most exciting and successful singer-songwriters in rock.

Neil Young was performing solo that evening in Toronto, playing many of his well-known songs like "Down by the River," "Ohio" and "I Am a Child." But he also included several new originals that would be featured on his next new album, "Harvest," which had not been released yet, like "Old Man," "The Needle and the Damage Done" and "Heart of Gold." The audience had not heard any of these before, and the night was an historic and moving performance for all.

"This is the album that should have come out between 'After The Gold Rush' and 'Harvest,'" Young says now. "David Briggs, my producer, was adamant that this should be the record, but I was very excited about the takes we got on 'Harvest,' and wanted 'Harvest' out. David disagreed. As I listen to this today, I can see why."

"Live At Massey Hall," produced by Young and the late David Briggs, is the second Reprise Records release in the Neil Young Archives Performance Series, following last year's "Live At The Fillmore East" album. Both are in anticipation of the "Archives Volume I" collection, due this fall. That 8-CD, 2-DVD audiobiography will include Young's music from 1963 to 1972, and feature a treasure trove of previously unreleased recordings, both studio and live, along with concert footage and rare memorabilia from the first decade of Neil Young's long and unequaled career.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    heh looks like you already beat me to it!

I'll believe that last part when I'm actually listening to the damn thing.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    merkinball wrote:
    "Archives Volume I" collection, due this fall. That 8-CD, 2-DVD audiobiography will include Young's music from 1963 to 1972, and feature a treasure trove of previously unreleased recordings, both studio and live, along with concert footage and rare memorabilia from the first decade of Neil Young's long and unequaled career.

Pavlov's dogs never salivated more then i am in anticipation to this release.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    StoneG82 wrote:
    heh looks like you already beat me to it!

I'll believe that last part when I'm actually listening to the damn thing.

Gotta love the google alerts!

• fuck.yeah.
    hate was just a legend
    Great trailer for it up over at http://www.neilyoung.com

• is there a release date?
    is there a release date?

March 13th

This is going to be awesome.

Here is the setlist i think

On The Way Home
    Tell Me Why
    Old Man
    Journey Through The Past
    Helpless
    Love In Mind
    A Man Needs a Maid/Heart Of Gold Suite
    Cowgirl In The Sand
    Don't Let It Bring You Down
    There's A World
    Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    The Needle And The Damage Done
    Ohio
    See The Sky About To Rain
    Down By The River
    Dance Dance Dance
    I Am A Child

I have that combo man needs a maid/ heart of gold already i think from the RNR Cowboy boot and i always really liked that. It will be great to get a better audio version of it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Fillmore disc kicked ass........in a major way.....can't wait for this one....can't wait for the big set in the fall......sweeet :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • intodeep wrote:
    This is going to be awesome.

Here is the setlist i think

On The Way Home
    Tell Me Why
    Old Man
    Journey Through The Past
    Helpless
    Love In Mind
    A Man Needs a Maid/Heart Of Gold Suite
    Cowgirl In The Sand
    Don't Let It Bring You Down
    There's A World
    Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    The Needle And The Damage Done
    Ohio
    See The Sky About To Rain
    Down By The River
    Dance Dance Dance
    I Am A Child

I have that combo man needs a maid/ heart of gold already i think from the RNR Cowboy boot and i always really liked that. It will be great to get a better audio version of it

Are the CD and DVD going to be the same? That preview was amazing!
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Are the CD and DVD going to be the same? That preview was amazing!
    Yes.

They will sell just a cd if you just want the audio.

and

They will sell a cd/dvd combo and the dvd will be of the concert.

That is how i took it if i'm wrong i apologize.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Yes.

They will sell just a cd if you just want the audio.

and

They will sell a cd/dvd combo and the dvd will be of the concert.

That is how i took it if i'm wrong i apologize.

Man, that is awesome. I love watching Neil solo. It's so dark, and mysterious. Helpless is going to kill me!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i don't want live archives. we were led to believe the archives were unreleased studio lps. nothing else will do.
    brain of c wrote:
    i don't want live archives. we were led to believe the archives were unreleased studio lps. nothing else will do.

The Archives will be a mix of both. The first few are being released by themselves and they are just cd's.

Hopefully next Fall will be the big Archives box set that will have more live material and unreleased studio material.

It has been that way from the begining sorry if you were led to believe differently :(

Look on the bright side you will get some studio stuff and it will be awesome. Sooner or later in the series a good version of Greensleeves will be released :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    ohhhh man! I'm definitely getting the DVD!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    brain of c wrote:

This is the Archive Performance series. Supposedly the Archive box set will be studio stuff, the AP will be the live stuff.

• mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Anybody get this yet? I just picked it up but haven't listened yet.

Anybody in Boston, Newbury Comics gives you a great 13X20 Lithograph with your purchase.
    I'm headed out at lunch to pick it up. I won't be able to watch the dvd till tonight though.

i'm kind of bummed it looks like this disc and the filmore disc will be two of the cd's included with the first archives set... i cna't wait for it to come out to get them though so i'm buying this today and i'll just have a couple copies when Archives comes out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    the only shows that havent surfaced in bootleg form from that tour are the two Winnipeg shows, which is really disappointing. They were his first shows back home since he got big and played longer sets than the Toronto shows.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    I've heard the Massey Hall boot before and i also have a similar boot the london one from the same year i think and i have to say after listening to the first part of this the sound is AWESOME.

Still have not watched the DVD i can't wait for that. I should call in sick the rest of the day at work :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    I went to a "sneak preview" here last night put on by one of our radio stations. They also handed out the CD which they called the soundtrack for the DVD. The sound quality is great, but the DVD was a tad grainy. Nevertheless, was a great opportunity to see what Uncle Neil was doing when I was 3 years old.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain