yo la tengo......

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I see a beach...the waves pounding against the shore. A beautiful girl, her heart beating against her breast. I see a tall, handsome man. Now I see it! Now I see it! I can hear the roar of the Ocean. And finally I can hear the Music of love. I CAN HEAR THE HEART BEATING AS ONE.

wow. I just fell in love with this record. It's beautiful. truly a masterpiece.

This is up there with Loveless....the whole record just flows.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yerreyyerrey Posts: 183
    i just discovered this album...really fuckin good!!!
  • cool - what a great album. this is one of the first records i bought that got me into indie rock a few years back. it might be THE quintissential indie rock album. who knows...i love "the lie and how we told it."

go see 'em live if ya can! new album by the end of the year, too.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Congrats on the great discovery! :)

This is my favorite Yo La Tengo album ever! I go through periods where I just have to hear this on repeat. I think Deeper into Movies is my favorite track, but they are all so great it's hard to have just one. I love the whole thing. It's one of those rare albums that I just let play - no skipping ahead, no skipping around. I just let it be.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Yo La Tengo is in fact, awesome.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • had to bring this thread back...have you seen the title of their new album due 9/12?!

"I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass"

too funny :D

What goes on?
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    "I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass"

That's fucking great! I went and looked on the site... about the new record "Fifteen new songs, no covers, if we had all the titles, we probably still wouldn't tell you yet."

:D SWEET! :D
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Thought I'd have bought it anyway, the fact that they titled it that made me want to get it that much more.

Green Arrow is one of my favorite songs. Ever.
  • Bringing this thread back up again...

Did anyone get the new album yet? i'm picking it up after work...that and a six pack. Should be fun.

Reviews are looking good so far:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/yolatengo/iamnotafraidofyouandiwillbeatyourass

What goes on?
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    currently in love with Autumn Sweater.

CD is incredible.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like them. I only havea couple albums but they are both good. i've always dug their song madaline a lot :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Well, i've given this album 2 good listens so far.

It's a great album and i recommend it to any YLT fans. It's actually quite fitting to mention on this thread: this album sounds the most like "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One" out of all their other albums.

Just extraordinary. Here's a breakdown of a few stadout tracks:

Beanbag Chair: classic, poppy YLT single. Like a softer version of "Sugarcube"

Mr. Tough: Think maybe Wilco meets Smokey Robinson. That combo is out there, but it's a really catchy song that mixes percussion, horns, piano into a cool ditty (just wanted to write "ditty").

Black Flowers: Slow one - nice progression

The Race is on Again - great YLT jam. You've heard this one a bunch of times if you listen to them

I Should have Know Better - possibly best song on album. Fast, addictive indie rock at it's best

Watch out for Me Ronnie - doing their best Ramones impression and it works

The Story of Yo La Tango - Classic Classic Classic YLT closing album song (see "We're an American Band," "Blue Line Swinger," "I Heard you Looking"). When i get lost in these long, feedbacky anthems...this is why this band is truly good

What goes on?
  • i'll throw in a recommendation for the new cd. it's a bit too long. but it's really good. extremely varied. critics seem to be saying it's their best since ICHTHBAO
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    the first track is by far the best imo.. i love it.. there are moments where it gets very very poppy (dare i say foofooy).. lol but the more i listen the more i like
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!

• "I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass"

nominations for album title of the year are...

peace
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i've yet to hear all of the new album, but i've spent plenty time catching up on several efforts: 'i can hear...', 'painful', 'electro-pura', and 'and then nothing...'. i'm glad i finally tuned in. i'm still kicking myself for missing them a few weeks back.

ok, just wanted to show some love for ylt.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Why don't I get it? I have listened to some of their stuff and....and....I don't get it!

This is NOT bashing Yo La Tengo AT ALL! I have much respect for them

IT'S NOT FAIR! I wanna like Yo La Tengo too!!!!!

Why why why!?!?!?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I FREAKIN love Yo La Tengo - one of my favorite bands....I own most of their albums - just picked up Genius + Love = Yo La Tengo

Favorite albums are definitely I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One (Moby Octopad, Sugarcube, Deeper Into Movies, Autumn Sweater, Green Arrow, The Lie and How We Told It, Center Of Gravity.....whole album is amazing, definitely their most consistent album) AND And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out (Our Way To Fall, Lets Save Tony Orlandos House, Tears Are In Your Eyes, You Can Have It All and Cherry Chapstick - the latter 2 being my 2 fav YLT songs EVER)

Summer Sun is also an incredible album (Season Of The Shark, Winter A Go-Go, Take Care) - as is I Am Not Afraid Of You....GREAT STUFF

.....I just watched The Devil and Daniel Johnston on the weekend (incredible movie!!!!!!!!!!!) - I didnt realize that was him singing Speeding Motorcycle on Genius + Love until I saw the movie

.....great live band too - I have seen them live 3 times now, they put on some really epic shows
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i downloaded the new album to check them out before lolla. i havent listened to it yet though. autumn sweater is a good song though.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i'm debating which album to check out next... summer sun or the new one? hmm, i still have a long way to go.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    cc10106 wrote:
    i'm debating which album to check out next... summer sun or the new one? hmm, i still have a long way to go.

you really can't go wrong with either.....I think I prefer Summer Sun - but its probably just because I have spent a little more time with it (and I LOVE Winter A Go-Go....such a groovy little ditty)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • the new album is awesome. just downloaded it off iTunes as my first Yo La Tengo album I've ever listened to. I'm hooked now.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II