robert pollard done with touring, fading captain series

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited November 2006 in Other Music
yep. Some sad news indeed, for those of you that still care about uncle Bobby.

Robert Pollard is saying adios to the touring life, but if anything, the decision will give him even more time to devote to his myriad music projects. Pollard canceled the last three shows of his recent U.S. tour after injuring his calf, and now that he's back home in Dayton, Ohio, he's decided to stay off the road for the foreseeable future.

"This is not to say I'll never play another show again, but this touring thing is too much," the ex-Guided By Voices frontman tells Billboard.com. "It's too hard to psychologically re-energize yourself each night." Pollard admits he's been disappointed by the turnout for shows with his solo band. "With Guided By Voices, it didn't matter what day it was. What I'm doing now, in my opinion, is not only the same thing, I think it's a step up, even," he says. "But you get tired of beating your head against the wall."

In March, Pollard will close the book on his long-running Fading Captain Series with a 50-track retrospective, "Crickets," which will sport a handful of previously unreleased songs. "To me, you've got to wrap things up to be able to take a look at the value and the worth of them," he says of shutting down the seven-year-old Fading Captain, which will be replaced by a new label, Record Company Records.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003466526

:(

I don't know what to make of any of this. such a shame.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits