Cracker

London CallingLondon Calling Posts: 164
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Anyone else here love these guys? As PJ fans we think we're into an underrated band with an underrrated guitarist. How do you think Cracker feel. David Lowery is a great lyricist and Johnny Hickman is a badass giutarist (much better than Mike McCready imho).
Saw them in London on Tuesday night and they still rock hard, even the tracks they played from Greenaland rocked even if though the energy isnt really their on the studio versions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love Cracker!! And Camper.
  • David Lowery is a great lyricist and Johnny Hickman is a badass giutarist (much better than Mike McCready imho).

OK, let me state for the record that I do love me some Cracker (as well as CVB), however with no disrespect to Mr. Hickman, this statement keeps me from taking you very seriously. First of all, they are two TOTALLY different types of guitarists, so it's like apples and oranges. Second, of the different styles, Mike's is of a much more skilled type that most would agree takes more talent.

And it's just the fact that you said "much better". I know it your opinion and all, but those are some big words.
  • OK, let me state for the record that I do love me some Cracker (as well as CVB), however with no disrespect to Mr. Hickman, this statement keeps me from taking you very seriously. First of all, they are two TOTALLY different types of guitarists, so it's like apples and oranges. Second, of the different styles, Mike's is of a much more skilled type that most would agree takes more talent.

And it's just the fact that you said "much better". I know it your opinion and all, but those are some big words.

i understand what you're saying but live, johnn Hickman tends to play bluesy rock like Mike McCready does, while this doesnt show up on Cracker studio albums, i think you can compare the two live, but hey wtf do i know ;)
  • i understand what you're saying but live, johnn Hickman tends to play bluesy rock like Mike McCready does, while this doesnt show up on Cracker studio albums, i think you can compare the two live, but hey wtf do i know ;)

Hey it's all good... I've always wanted to see Cracker but always manage to miss them when they come around, so I am a bit biased since I'm definitely more familiar with Mike's playing live than Johnny's.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    The Golden Age = very good album.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Hey it's all good... I've always wanted to see Cracker but always manage to miss them when they come around, so I am a bit biased since I'm definitely more familiar with Mike's playing live than Johnny's.

i would definately recommend seeing them live because even though the last couple of records have not been upto scratch and have been a bit more on the depressing side they still keep an up tempo live performance. Dunno about in the US but in in London they played the Borderline which i think holds about 200 people so there isnt a bad seat to be had.
  • one of the most underrated bands ever.

check out hickman's solo work as well.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I love Cracker. Their new disc "Greenland" is freakin' amazing. And I agree, Johnny Hickman is a kick ass guitarist!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Ahh those high school memories of going to Charleston SC to see them play numerous times. GOOD TIMES

I love this band I caught them again a couple years ago and they were still great live.

Saw CVB open for modest mouse and they were awesome too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I love Cracker!! And Camper.

me too...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • wow, Camper and Modest Mouse, that sounds like quite a show!
    intodeep wrote:
    Ahh those high school memories of going to Charleston SC to see them play numerous times. GOOD TIMES

I love this band I caught them again a couple years ago and they were still great live.

Saw CVB open for modest mouse and they were awesome too!