Holy Shit! The New Foo Fighters CD is Great Thread!!

yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I'm really blown away right now...one time through and I'm stunned how freakin good this is!
“May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you broke me, ive heard nothing but talk about this album im gonna go DL it right now.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I'm on my first listen right now, and so far im liking what i am hearing.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • I heard a lot of the album on rock line or rock talk or whatever the fuck is on the radio around midnight. All the foos were taking calls and playing the new record. For the most part it sounded great. I can't pick it up today but i'm sure i will tomorrow :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I'm really impressed and surprised by this album...easily one of the best things I've heard all year
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Nearly finished with my first listen through and i think it's great. Not been bothered with the Foo ighters for a while but this is great.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    ok just finished my second listen,,,,, amazing album, probably their best since tcats...
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    ;) I think some other folks are talking about this, too:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=255703

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I downloaded it last week- not bad
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • This was entertaining me today, a Foo mini-doc from I think 1999:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CxAECl9MaMc

Some great bits talking about Adam Kasper (minimally PJ-related content), and Dave Grohl is a funny mofo. But you knew that.

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    haven't listened closely, but sounds like a very strong set of songs
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • echoes, silence, patience and motherfuckin grace! wow what an album i fucking love it. best foo album yet in my opinion.
  • Grohl's first album was unique and great.
    Since then....
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/cscottsmith/merda.jpg
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    lastexit wrote:
    Grohl's first album was unique and great.
    Since then....
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/cscottsmith/merda.jpg
    haha totally agree! :D (and that's REALLY disgusting! :eek::p)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • It's nice to see these guys trying something new. At points though it feels like a Grohl solo record. Especially the second half. It definitely stands apart from the first 5 albums. Maybe not their best but easily the most diverse record they've made this far. I think that solo tour last year opened up some new doors for them as a musicians. It's nice to see a band from PJ's era aging well like the Foo Fighters seem to be.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I am enjoying the F*ck out of this cd right now! It is definitely one of their best records in some time. What a great day, the new pj dvd and foo fighters album today. What a way to relax from being at work all day.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Finally, some people who agree with me...Isn't the guitar work on it tasty?? Especially for the Foos.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Finally, some people who agree with me...Isn't the guitar work on it tasty?? Especially for the Foos.

Yeah, ya know that's the first thing I noticed with this record! REALLY, REALLY catchy riffs on this record, and they aren't too poppy either. I'm not saying the foos are pop, but on some of their latter radio singles the guitar hooks just have pop like feel to them. This album takes me back to the first album. I LOVED that energy that the self titled disc had. This album has that same feel. Weather the songs are fast or slow the riffs just make me want jump all over the room. They did a spectacular job on this record. I read an interview from Dave awhile back, and he said something to the effect of "these were some of the most complicated and fast changing signature time riffs they have ever come up with." I just really enjoyed this record. I must have listed to "statues" at least 6 times in a row tonight. I think I'm taking a liking to that and "let it die" the most.
    One of my top records for 2007 by far.
    Even though it has the feel of the first album to me, the slower gems are nice too. I am one of the people that actually enjoyed "In your honor" the acoustic addition was a nice breath of fresh air. It was different, but very good, and it was nice to see the Foos branch out a little bit. It was musical creativity from them, that I quite enjoyed.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    For the past 5 or 6 years I haven't been interested in the Foo's, I always got the impression when listening to their music that they were half assing it. They could make catchy tunes that will garner enough interest to keep them afloat until the next album and the new album has convinced me because it is such an astounding record, its the type of music they SHOULD have been making. Erase/Replace was a track I wasn't sure about but its grown on me.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Have to admit, I love this album!! Listened to it for the first time yesterday and it was pretty amazing! 'Stranger things have happened' is one of the best songs I have heard for a long time! and the guy playing the guitar on the 'ballard of beaconsfield miners' well, incredible!! if you listen closely you can hear his fingers al over the fret board, even mr mccready would have to sit back and admire!!!
    'Life comes from within your heart and desire'

~~Wembley 2000, Reading 2006, Paris 2006, Wembley 2007~~
    Finally, some people who agree with me...Isn't the guitar work on it tasty?? Especially for the Foos.

i love the guitar work on "come alive"...there's a riff that comes in the last part that's just awesome

Some die just to live.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Erase/Replace is the first song on the album i loved. Im getting into this album alot more each time i listen.
    If Best of You started this album with The Pretender following suit... well that would have been delicious.

This is a great album though, no question of it the best in a good 5 years from them.

Btw, its a woman by the name of Kaki King that plays the guitar in that Beaconsfield Miners song.... and she's amazing.
    Checked her out on youtube after i heard that song.

I saw some footage of the acoustic tour on channel 4 (UK) a few nights ago, good to see Pat Smear again, he's pretty chunky these days. :D
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i love the guitar work on "come alive"...there's a riff that comes in the last part that's just awesome

bang on man, what a hell of a track.

And I must add that I totally agree and an very impressed with this record
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • my favorites so far are let it die, come alive, ballad of beaconsfield minors and but, honestly.

also what do you guys think of home? its very different from the rest of the album but i think its really good even still.
  • snipes824 wrote:
    my favorites so far are let it die, come alive, ballad of beaconsfield minors and but, honestly.

also what do you guys think of home? its very different from the rest of the album but i think its really good even still.

I think Home is a great track, pretty moving stuff. I know I've already said it, but this album really is very impressive. Come Alive really is a fantastic song, can't get that ending riff out of my head!
  • This is a STUNNINGLY beautiful record. Their last, I enjoyed, but I got sick of it quickly. Skin and Bones (the DVD in particular) was such a masterpiece recording; every show I could possibly have gone to on that acoustic tour was just bad timing for me, and I deeply regret it after watching this epic and beautiful performance. Sooo many levels to it; I had no idea how many musicians were a part of their extended band just listening to the CD. (On a side note, wasn't that a Clinch film as well? I don't remember...)

The Colour and the Shape has always been my favourite of their albums, the only one I listen to regularly other than Skin and Bones. But now, I really think this is the height of their work so far. I love EVERY song, which I haven't yet with this band, and the instrumental work is much better than on their previous records. This was like a breath of fresh air from the Foos. Some of these songs could possibly rival Everlong and My Hero for me, and I LOVE those songs. Songs like But, Honestly and Come Alive had me dumbstruck that this was the same band who wrote Best of You. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that song -- it can give me such a high when I'm in the mood for it -- but it is mediocre at best in comparison to this latest album. It's as close to flawless as I have heard from this band, and I think they are finally coming into their own. THIS is what I was waiting for!

So in conclusion, I hate it. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
    Listening to it again tonight. The guitar line I was referring to in "Come Alive" is at 3.32. AWESOME.

Let it Die is quite good, and erase/replace and long road to ruin got a lot better this time around.

Some die just to live.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Erase/Replace is the first song on the album i loved. Im getting into this album alot more each time i listen.
    If Best of You started this album with The Pretender following suit... well that would have been delicious.

This is a great album though, no question of it the best in a good 5 years from them.

Btw, its a woman by the name of Kaki King that plays the guitar in that Beaconsfield Miners song.... and she's amazing.
    Checked her out on youtube after i heard that song.

I saw some footage of the acoustic tour on channel 4 (UK) a few nights ago, good to see Pat Smear again, he's pretty chunky these days. :D

I agree with you. I think erase/Replace is a monster song. Lot's of dips and dives and it rocks on top of that!

side note: Khaki King also did some work on The Into the Wild score. You can hear her during the movie
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • The more I listen to this CD the more I think about what could've been.
  • This is a STUNNINGLY beautiful record.
    :D

Doesn't it feel as if this was the record we always knew Dave was capable of?

On a side note, what was up with the mediocre reviews that Rolling Stone and Spin gave it?? It's like they listened to it once and went "Ehh, it KIND OF sounds like 'In Your Honor'" and then they wrote half-assed reviews immediately afterwards...Rolling Stone's review said something to the effect of 'The Ballad of the Beconsville Miners' makes no sense.." or something. What are they going to do next? Say 'Black Mountain Side' on Led Zep I lacked inspiration?? Stupid. This album is really strong from start to finish. No skip overs at all. I could literally listen to it over and over again. What did they miss???

(On the contrary, Entertainment Weekly and People gave the album spectacular reviews.)
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.