Options

Fucking Wolfmother

yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
edited May 2006 in Other Music
This album sounds like a 1970's atomic bomb! LOVING IT!!!
“May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vedhead10vedhead10 Posts: 40
    I think its a good album...but it sounds like a collection of homage songs...
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I've been thinking of picking up the new album, but really is it worth buying? I mean it sounds great from what I've heard, but if I already have Led Zepp and Black Sabbath albums and all that stuff do I really need this one?
    Her?
  • Options
    offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    It's a decent album...The guys voice reminds me SO much of Jack White...
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Haven't heard the entire album yet, but these guys ROCK !
    they bring hommageto the classic rock scene (deep purple, zeppelin, jethro tull ....) .

I'm gonna be seeing them live @ rock Werchter here in belgium... already looking forward to it :d
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    lumpyfred wrote:
    I've been thinking of picking up the new album, but really is it worth buying? I mean it sounds great from what I've heard, but if I already have Led Zepp and Black Sabbath albums and all that stuff do I really need this one?

From the couple songs I've heard, they're just influenced by the classic rock scene. I put the emphasis on INFLUENCED cause they do come up with orginal music.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Great cd, I'll jump on the 'they sound like zepplin' bandwagon but they definitely have their own style.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Ok, I'm definitely checking them out now.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    To me a lot of their songs sound the same, and like they want to be Zeppelin & Sabbath. Not that it's bad...but am I missing something? What are their best songs to listen to that would show me what they're made of?
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    yeah i bought it yesterday. and im loving it, very retro
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    These guys are teetering on the verge of hair metal. I bet their amps go to 11. Led Zeppelin they are not.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134
    drew0 wrote:
    To me a lot of their songs sound the same, and like they want to be Zeppelin & Sabbath. Not that it's bad...but am I missing something? What are their best songs to listen to that would show me what they're made of?

For me The White Unicorn and Vagabond. I think they stand out on the album and are very different in comparison to what you might have already heard. Witchcraft has a solid riff, nothing unique though, but it does have a very impressive flute solo!
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I imported this CD and noticed the US version has a different track list. The one song I don't recognize is Love Train I think. I want to know how that song is.

Anyway, I love Wolfmother. It's a great debut and though the lead singer can sound like Robert Plant from time to time they don't remind me too much of Zeppelin. Their songs themselves don't get long like Zep songs tend to do and there's know lead guitarist to really rip it up. I believe the lead singer plays guitar and though he's good they really need someone to soley be lead guitarist. That or they need to add a rhythm guitarist and take some pressure off the singer. I strongly advise any fan of classic rock or even the new 'retro' scene to pick this album up. They play off their influences but it isn't overbearing.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Can't find a torrent with the whole album. Anybody? All I can find are one's w/ a different song order and only 12 songs instead of 13. If I like, I'm gonna buy later this week.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They didn't go 70's enough for me to call them full-on retro. Go grab a Hawkwind album or Blue Cheer to hear what I'm talking about.

Dave Sardy is a sick engineer/producer, but his own band, Barkmarket, destroys most of the stuff he ends up working on. A shame that they never broke the way that they deserved to. So many bands rip off Barkmarket that it should be a crime.
  • Options
    I've heard this album enough to say if you got some Who, zep, white stripes, black sabbath and mixed together you'd get Wolfmother.

You say influenced but they have some original music, well I've yet to hear it.
    This band are like so many others Jet, Oasis, Razorlight, Strokes, not very original and always sound like inferior versions of the bands they try to emulate for instance, The Strokes (I've never understood what the fuss is about)
    = Velvet Underground.

It's fair enough to be influenced but when you sound like a mixture of other bands without a unique sound of your own, you might as well be in covers band which is what Wolfmother sounds like plus check out the critical aclaim this mediocre album as had compared to a certain other album released last week a definite example of music journalists having problem with their ears.