Army of Anyone

yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I just recently picked this up and I've been impressed so far. Any of you guys listen to this yet?
“May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I thought it was terrible. Where are the DeLeo bros soulful guitar work? It's very bland but I guess better than Velvet Revolver.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    yield2me wrote:
    I just recently picked this up and I've been impressed so far. Any of you guys listen to this yet?

Yea. The Deleos are at the top of their game on this, and sound fucking incredible. Richard Patrick is mediocre at best, and his lyrics are trite. The drummer, Ray Luzier, is talented, but over excited and flashy. All in all, the music is pretty great, and I find it well worth getting. I am really excited to see them play in NYC in February.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    yosi wrote:
    Yea. The Deleos are at the top of their game on this, and sound fucking incredible. Richard Patrick is mediocre at best, and his lyrics are trite. The drummer, Ray Luzier, is talented, but over excited and flashy. All in all, the music is pretty great, and I find it well worth getting. I am really excited to see them play in NYC in February.

top of their game? wow.. have you heard ANY STP record? :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    bharQ wrote:

To me it sounds like Shangri La De Da in a lot of ways....but you're right...Core it is not! but did you actually expect something like that?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • is there a place i can stream it?? i've only heard a couple songs, and i wasn't impressed. and i was really looking forward to this.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
    yield2me wrote:
    To me it sounds like Shangri La De Da in a lot of ways....but you're right...Core it is not! but did you actually expect something like that?

Shangri La De Da has some hidden gems and I agree AOA is more like that than any other STP album but I am more a fan of Tiny Music.. the guitar work on that album is in my mind their best.. Core has some really great guitar work aswell.. and Purple has the hits and even more great guitar work.. so the bar is set really high.. I guess that's why I was disappointed with AOA.. I did give it a good few listens but I just wasn't feeling it.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:

Considering they were my favorite band for over ten years, I'd say yes. I'd be willing to bet I've heard more STP than almost anyone else on here. And yes, I think the Deleos sound great on this record. RP and RL, well, they certainly leave a lot to be desired
    bharQ wrote:
    Shangri La De Da has some hidden gems and I agree AOA is more like that than any other STP album but I am more a fan of Tiny Music.. the guitar work on that album is in my mind their best.. Core has some really great guitar work aswell.. and Purple has the hits and even more great guitar work.. so the bar is set really high.. I guess that's why I was disappointed with AOA.. I did give it a good few listens but I just wasn't feeling it.

I agree with you on TM. That is definitely my favorite album of theirs. But I believe that Rob sounds terrific on this album, and that its filed with classic Deleo riffs and sound. I really think that they sound great on this album.
  • It's nothing special. Not good, not bad. It's meh. I listened to it the day it came out, and haven't played it since.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    their album it´s good, no more. good de leo work, bad vocal perfomance by patrick,anybody have seen his voice around?,

i think their drummer did a job better on this album than eric kretz on the last 2 stp albums.....
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love this record.
  • Good record not great. Richard is an average singer and average songwriter. Also anyone who says, Army of Anyone is better then Vr give your head a shake. Vr has better guitar playing, way better singing and songwriting. Calling Army of Anyone a supergroup is going to far. Theres nothing super about Richards talent. Just a good group.
  • I think the AoA CD is head and shoulders better MUSICALLY than VR for one reason...Rob Deleo makes Duff McKagan look like a toddler on bass. Of course that's not fair to Duff b/c Deleo makes a lot of bass players look average. Also, Sorum is hamfisted behind the kit for VR, while Luzier, whether you think his style is too flashy or not, is a damn fine drummer. The overall song quality of AoA suffers b/c Patrick is really out of his element and league. What I'd love to hear is Weiland, Rob Deleo, Slash, and Luzier. That band would smoke.
  • I was very disappointed by this album, unfortunately. The first few tracks were alright musically, but Richard Patrick's vocals just didn't seem to fit at all. I also felt like there was way too much filler material on the album.

Ray Luzier was really the only bright spot, as far as I'm concerned. I tend to like flashy drummers. Personal preference, I guess.

I thought Velvet Revolver's album was much better than Army of Anyone's, both in terms of songwriting and musicianship.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    i would of prefered a 4th Filter album with guest guitar in a few songs.
    AOA is good, but it seems to drag on just about every song. My favorite song on this album would probably be Father Figure. It has great guitar riffs and good vocal styling (The lyrics are weak though).
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

mdigenakis wrote:
    AOA is good, but it seems to drag on just about every song. My favorite song on this album would probably be Father Figure. It has great guitar riffs and good vocal styling (The lyrics are weak though).

That's probably my least favorite song. It just sounds too much like Filter, and I'm way much more of an STP guy.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    mdigenakis wrote:

There is supposed to be a new filter album coming out sometime next year. Apparently it's about half way done at the moment....thats the rumor anyway