My Review of "Shine A Light" (R. Stones concert film directed by Scorsese)

voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I attended a prescreening of "Shine a Light" which is the Rolling STones film taken mostly from their 2 night stay at the Beacon Theater. I recieved an invite to the showing at the Navy Pier IMAX. I had a nice time, and managed to see Johnny Depp.

I thought it was nice, but was not blown away. Everyone in the theater (full) got in for free, and basically sat on their hands the entire time; I witnessed a few people sleeping! (True).

The mix was nice, the songs were nice for a true fan, but will ultimately turn away a "non die hard type of fan". The first five minutes of the film with Martin trying to get a setlist were hysterical! Martin did a great job of capturing subtle moments from both Keith and Charlie. Two specific points were after one song, they show a close up of each band member full of excitement, and when the close up comes to Charlie, he simply "sighs"….got a good laugh out of the theater. The other was the great camera work of Keith spitting a lit cigarette out in the middle of the Buddy Guy tune through a cloud of smoke, visually pretty cool.

About 92.8 percent of the time the camera is on Mick and the close ups can be a bit dizzying to follow as the camera moves around fast to keep up with Mick.

Highlights:

Some Girls

Champaign and Reefer (my favorite of the night ironically)

She Was Hot

As Tears Go By

Far Away Eyes

All Down The Line (Mick messed up the opening lyric though)

Lowlights:

Satisfaction (I just hate the way Keith plays it now)

Just My Imagination (just didn't work, Micks guitar goes out mid song….did nothing for me)

Start Me Up (looked like the band got stuck on auto pilot)

Overall, I had a great time, and will go see the movie again with my wife, but I really can't say this is for a "non shidoobee-like" person. One other note, Lisa and Bernard were featured prominently and I don't even recall seeing Blondie other than the band intros (which were severely shortened). The little bit I did see led me to conclude that High Definition and IMAX are no friends of Blondie Chaplin.
There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voodoopug wrote:
    I attended a prescreening of "Shine a Light" which is the Rolling STones film taken mostly from their 2 night stay at the Beacon Theater. I recieved an invite to the showing at the Navy Pier IMAX. I had a nice time, and managed to see Johnny Depp.

I thought it was nice, but was not blown away. Everyone in the theater (full) got in for free, and basically sat on their hands the entire time; I witnessed a few people sleeping! (True).

The mix was nice, the songs were nice for a true fan, but will ultimately turn away a "non die hard type of fan". The first five minutes of the film with Martin trying to get a setlist were hysterical! Martin did a great job of capturing subtle moments from both Keith and Charlie. Two specific points were after one song, they show a close up of each band member full of excitement, and when the close up comes to Charlie, he simply "sighs"….got a good laugh out of the theater. The other was the great camera work of Keith spitting a lit cigarette out in the middle of the Buddy Guy tune through a cloud of smoke, visually pretty cool.

About 92.8 percent of the time the camera is on Mick and the close ups can be a bit dizzying to follow as the camera moves around fast to keep up with Mick.

Highlights:

Some Girls

Champaign and Reefer (my favorite of the night ironically)

She Was Hot

As Tears Go By

Far Away Eyes

All Down The Line (Mick messed up the opening lyric though)

Lowlights:

Satisfaction (I just hate the way Keith plays it now)

Just My Imagination (just didn't work, Micks guitar goes out mid song….did nothing for me)

Start Me Up (looked like the band got stuck on auto pilot)

Overall, I had a great time, and will go see the movie again with my wife, but I really can't say this is for a "non shidoobee-like" person. One other note, Lisa and Bernard were featured prominently and I don't even recall seeing Blondie other than the band intros (which were severely shortened). The little bit I did see led me to conclude that High Definition and IMAX are no friends of Blondie Chaplin.

Good review. I usually approach the Stones existance the way you describe the movie
    They are real good live thought.
    If it has too much mic and not enough behind the scenes with the other guys its too holloywood.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Keep in mind that I am about as big a stones fan as there is, so I can be overly critical at times.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.