Options

RHCP Double album...uh-oh

unfortunateson11unfortunateson11 Posts: 9
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Ehhh...Double albums haven't always worked out (see Smashing Pumpkins), now it appears as if the Chili Peppers of their own. Of course, without having heard any of the songs, I can't really judge it, but I am generally against the idea of double albums. I would rather bands wittle it down to about 13-15 songs for a great album than a 25-song okay album.

Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001881276
4-23-03 Champaign
6-21-03 Alpine Valley
9-9-05 Thunder Bay
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I know a lot of people seem to dislike double albums but I enjoyed the Foo Fighters double album. Well, I enjoyed the whole rock album and about 6-7 songs on the acoustic so 17/20 isn't too bad.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I like the double album idea a lot more than the 3 seperate album idea.I agree the double album can sometimes be hit or miss and if you're not careful with it you just come off as being self indulgent rather than ambitious.That or half the songs on the album arent worth listening to...sort of like Mellon Collie.I don't think it will be any big deal with RHCP.From what Ive read nothing would indicate that it is a conceptual album.By the Way was well over 70 minutes long and Californication was pretty long as well so the double album idea didn't seem like a far stretch.More bang for your buck is how I see it and I look forward to having this in May for the summertime....I really hope it sounds like the band described it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    Ehhh...Double albums haven't always worked out (see Smashing Pumpkins), now it appears as if the Chili Peppers of their own. Of course, without having heard any of the songs, I can't really judge it, but I am generally against the idea of double albums. I would rather bands wittle it down to about 13-15 songs for a great album than a 25-song okay album.

Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001881276

u saying mellon collie didnt work out?? explain please if u will..
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,071
    shahril wrote:
    u saying mellon collie didnt work out?? explain please if u will..

Isn't it like one of the best selling of all time??
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    bobasfeet wrote:

exactly!

and nevermind sales figures..that album is great anyhow
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Didn't Britney Spears top the charts on numerous occasions. Sales don't mean shit.

Mellon Collie was very good, but it didn't have to be a double album. There's a lot that they could have left out. Especially on Disc 2.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,071
    Didn't Britney Spears top the charts on numerous occasions. Sales don't mean shit.

Mellon Collie was very good, but it didn't have to be a double album. There's a lot that they could have left out. Especially on Disc 2.

Serry..I like the whole cd. I like double albums in general..I am a filler type dude and love artists to stretch themselves a lil bit. Have a pint of Guiness for me ;>
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm more of a lager man really, but I'll have a pint of the black stuff anyway just for you :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    I thought if Melon Collie was a 13-15 song album, it would rank up there. But to me, there was just to many throwaway songs that kind of ruined it from greatness.

I understand where you're coming from though.
    4-23-03 Champaign
    6-21-03 Alpine Valley
    9-9-05 Thunder Bay