The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia is released today!!

mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
edited March 2008 in Other Music
...for the Uk anyway, US tomorrow i believe. I nearly forgot to pick this up. Great album from two great artists. Looking forward for their gig in april. Anyone else got this yet?
Dublin 2006
Katowice 2007
London 2007
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Is it just me or is the sound quality of this cd not that great?
  • Is it just me or is the sound quality of this cd not that great?

Just to ask it, are you listening to the commerically released CD or a rip from one of the streaming MP3's? I ask b/c it was released in 2 streams that are NOT high quality.

The CD, however, is perfectly fine. I got an advance version a couple of weeks ago and it's absolutely perfect.

The songwriting credits on this are a bit interesting...
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    pjny wrote:

Do tell...
  • pjny wrote:
    Just to ask it, are you listening to the commerically released CD or a rip from one of the streaming MP3's? I ask b/c it was released in 2 streams that are NOT high quality.

The CD, however, is perfectly fine. I got an advance version a couple of weeks ago and it's absolutely perfect.

I'm waiting for my cd to arrive but was listening to latest rip which I figured was retail. Thanks for putting my fears aside though!
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Is it just me or is the sound quality of this cd not that great?

How you figure sports fan? As expected all songs are written by Dulli and Lanegan either seperatley or together apart from one where Dulli and Klein collaborated.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Is it just me or is the sound quality of this cd not that great?

I grabbed a torrent of it a few days ago and it sounds a bit off to me as well... seems to be the same one on all the sites, 320kbps, running about 119meg, is that the one you have?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    When's it come out in Canada ?
  • I grabbed a torrent of it a few days ago and it sounds a bit off to me as well... seems to be the same one on all the sites, 320kbps, running about 119meg, is that the one you have?

Yep, thats the one! Its weird there isn't a high quality rip.
  • this is one i will be listening to for a while.

i love who will lead us? and seven stories underground.

But the stations is an immense album opener.

aah, its all good, go listen

some reviews are cracking me up tho, they mix up who is singing what...esp if lanegan isnt doing the 'whiskey soaked death rattle' and dulli gets creditied for some of lanegans performances...
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I was really hyped up for this album and I have to say...it didn't disappoint me at all. Lanegan and Dulli both sound great on it and the band is rocking. Does anyone know whether Matthias Schneeberger or Dave Rosser play most of the guitar leads? Anyway, the songs are great and the overall album has a great vibe to it - dark, yet uplifting at the same time. I love it.
  • Apparently, at their Showbox gig, Dulli soundchecked Hunger Strike as a gag, but Lanegan just laughed when Dulli asked him to sing Eddie's parts.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i was at the show last night.....SOOOOO GOOOOOOD.....

it was so funny when greg tried to get lanegan to sing hunger strike. so great to see him smile.
    I have been listening to this all day today. You people are crazy.

Saturnalia is f-ing PHENOMENAL!!!!
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    I'll be seeing them in Minneapolis Saturday night. I'm really looking forward to it. Lanegan is a musical icon in my world--a true grunge and alternative legend.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • and this album is among his best vocal performances, especially all misery/flowers, who will lead us? and seven stories underground.

i saw em at koko and it was a great gig, going to catch the manchester show too :)
  • and this album is among his best vocal performances, especially all misery/flowers, who will lead us? and seven stories underground.

Is that Lanegan singing lead on seven stories? If so, his voice is so damn versatile.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Is that Lanegan singing lead on seven stories? If so, his voice is so damn versatile.

Yeah it is.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    saw them in san francisco, kick ass show.

been listening to this album almost non-stop. really dig it.

was surprised that Lanegan had no writing credit or even an appearance on I Was In Love With You since I was positive he sang most of it live and absolutely fucking killed it.

ah well. there are some pretty good boots of the seattle show floating around. the bit about Hunger Strike kills me.

(the seattle show can be found here: http://onewhiskey.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=download&action=display&thread=1204808999
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    This album has been on constant rotation since early this week. I'm totally loving it.

And thanks for the link to the Seattle boot, nothinghead. I'm downloading it now. I was at the show, and it was a great time.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

sweet!! thanks for that!! i was at the a show (RIGHT UP FRONT!) KICK ASS!
  • Lanegan's voice is a lot more versatile than its given credit for.

A lot of people have only heard his stuff with qotsa and assume he is low end and growly, which he is, but not all of the time.

Hence why reviewers have been crediting lanegan vocals to dulli in saturnalia reviews.

I seem to remember them both singing ' I was in love with you' bu I spose that track has Dulli written all over it. :)
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    i was surprised of how much i liked this album. Thumbs up for Dulli and Lanegan
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • I was going to go buy this album this week, based on who is in it, and the reviews i'm seeing on here.
    But being my lazy self, i failed to even get out of the house once.

Then today my buddy called me up and told me he wants me to come down to New Orleans to see the Gutter Twins,
    and when i protested that it was short notice for a plane ticket (next week), he volunteered to PAY FOR THE FLIGHT!

I said, "Hot Damn, I'M THERE, motherfucker!"

Leavin on Wednesday, be there all week.
    New Orleans, town of my birth, here i come!

OH, ONE FUNNY THING.
    I still have NO IDEA what the album sounds like!
    I need to go buy that shit!
    :D:D:D

Oh. and one more weird thing,
    my buddy, who knows WAY too many people in WAY too many places also dropped this one, "Oh, and we can hang out with Greg Dulli if you want too. I got the hook up on that."

Uh?
    I didn't even know what to say to that shit.
    Wow.
    :eek:
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I was going to go buy this album this week, based on who is in it, and the reviews i'm seeing on here.

Then today my buddy called me up and told me he wants me to come down to New Orleans to see the Gutter Twins,
    and when i protested that it was short notice for a plane ticket (next week), he volunteered to PAY FOR THE FLIGHT!

OH, ONE FUNNY THING.

my buddy, who knows WAY too many people in WAY too many places also dropped this one, "Oh, and we can hang out with Greg Dulli if you want too. I got the hook up on that."

Uh?
    Wow.

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/39261992

:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    I was going to go buy this album this week, based on who is in it, and the reviews i'm seeing on here.

OH, ONE FUNNY THING.

Uh?
    Wow.

if i fly down, can i go too?
  • We went to the Gutter Twins show at One Eyed Jacks in the French Quarter last night.

It was pretty fucking awesome, actually.

If anyone has a chance to check these guys out, Lanegan and Dulli are phenomenal together.

Dulli in particular fucking blew me away.
    The songs sound so much more "full" live, and the band is VERY tight.

The drummer switches from song to song like The Dead used to do, basicaly doing medleys ... and the energy was constant.

There were a couple of moments where i thought i was on acid (oh wait, i actualy did eat a handful of mushrooms :D ) ... and the energy just seemed to ebb and flow within the songs ... where they would start slow and then build ... getting just to the point of frenetic insanity where the place felt like it was about to blow (even some moshing) ... and then just as quick as it had build, the song dissipated right back out in to serenity.

So, great show!
    And i forgot how much of a fucking freak-pit The Quarter is. That place is the fucking belly of the beast, man, what the whole world would be like if the Nazis had won the war.
    ;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?